Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• razorsedge
    razorsedge Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Or am i missing the point?

Yes you are.

A quick search for NEB Guidelines reveals a few posts on this matter including this one by me:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64972801&highlight=neb+guidelines#post64972801
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • danielleindebt
    Options
    Ok great thank you I'm understanding it a lot more now ;-)

So I'm thinking my next port of call is another letter to jet 2 stating a few things ;-) and again asking for my compensation. And then I shall be back lol
  • razorsedge
    razorsedge Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Ok great thank you I'm understanding it a lot more now ;-)

So I'm thinking my next port of call is another letter to jet 2 stating a few things ;-) and again asking for my compensation. And then I shall be back lol

This next letter should be your NBA giving them 14 days to pay up or you will start court action, no point in asking politely any more.

But before that here is some useful advice:
    Before writting your NBA have a really good read and re-read of the the regulation and subsequent case law (all in the FAQ's). After that read through this thread (read at least a few hundred of the recent posts) and then have a read of the threads dealing with Taking Airlines to Court, Court Success, What can the CAA do? etc.

If you don't have the time to do all this (it will take a while) then seriously consider using a NWNF firm. From the brief description you have given so far I believe your flight qualifies for compensation, but Jet2 are not going to give it to you without a legal fight.
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • chestercharmer
    Options
    Hi Guys,

New to the blog so not sure I'm posting this in the right place. We had a long flight delay, wrote to Jet2.com for compensation as per your template letter, first reply was that we hasn't supplied enough info, second letter is claiming they don't have to pay as the delay was caused by "extraordinary circumstances" and so under Regulation 261/2004 they don't have to pay us anything!
    They further say that the delay was caused by "an unexpected flight safety shortcoming"
    My question is - is that correct and where do we go from here ?
    Many thanks CC
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have a read of the thread - plenty similar examples

next step is court either by yourself or through NWNF...not sure if Jet2 have paid out to anyone without being forced to by the court
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Guys,

New to the blog so not sure I'm posting this in the right place. We had a long flight delay, wrote to Jet2.com for compensation as per your template letter, first reply was that we hasn't supplied enough info, second letter is claiming they don't have to pay as the delay was caused by "extraordinary circumstances" and so under Regulation 261/2004 they don't have to pay us anything!
    They further say that the delay was caused by "an unexpected flight safety shortcoming"
    My question is - is that correct and where do we go from here ?
    Many thanks CC
    Recourse to legal action usually required. Might be worth waiting until Huzaar next month.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Gardenbudda
    Options
    Can anyone give me some advice please
    we had a 5 and a half flight delay from ibiza to manchester in may 2013 with jet 2, we boarded the plane only to be told we had to get off as they discovered a fault when the plane was landing on the before flight and was given a letter stating it was a operation fault and it shouldn't take long to sort, when i got home i wrote to jet2 asking for compensation they said no as it was a unexpected technical fault, so i wrote to the AESA in Spain and they wrote to jet2 who ignored them, but they told me the fault jet2 had told me it was would mean compensation should be due, and they sent jet2 a copy of the letter that they had sent to me, i then wrote back to jet2 who said the delay was caused by an equipment cooling fan fault, and the fault occurred prior to departure constituting to it being an extraordinary circumstance which could not have been foreseen and which was beyond there actual control and compensation would not be paid,
    the thing is where do i go from here do i take it to court or are they right in what they are saying please help, being sat in a airport with 4 children for that length of time was not an easy task and a very expensive one so i just don't want them fobbing me off if there in the wrong
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a good read of the FAQs
    it does mention - Technical fault with plane is not usually "extraordinary circumstances" so you can claim
    If you read up on the court process you can decide whether to do it yourself or hand to a nwnf
  • Cretec
    Cretec Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I think I am entitled, but wanted to check with you all on this forum. I sent the following email to jet2:
    Jet2
    Customer Service
    Jet2holidays
    Low Fare Finder House
    Leeds Bradford International Airport
    Leeds
    LS19 7TU

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: Compensation claim for delayed flight
    Booking reference: #####

I am writing regarding flight LS911 on 23/08/2013 from Manchester to Heraklion with the scheduled departure time of 15:15. This flight arrived more than 4 hours late at Heraklion.

The passengers in the party were husband, wife & child. As per attached booking confirmation

My scheduled flight length was 2930 Kilometers, and the flight arrival delay was more than 3 hours, therefore I am seeking €400 per delayed passenger in my party. The total is €1200 for all passengers.

The delay was caused by airline staff letting people board the plane whilst a different plane was just offboarding people. This meant that after the final ticket check at the gate people could walk onto the plane from the plane that just landed. After nearly 2 hours waiting in the plane without air conditioning, you then decided to offboard everyone and make everyone go through security again. Subsequently you had to get another crew to fly the airplane causing further delays. One of the passengers fainted due to the hours waiting on a hot and humid plane, so she couldn’t travel and her luggage had to be removed from the plane – the removal of that luggage only happened once everyone was back on the plane for a second time.

Although you might argue that the delay was caused by security concerns, the security issue itself was caused by airline ground staff letting people onboard and offboard simultaneously. A subsequent passport and ticket check on the plane would have easily resolved it, but you decided (after 2 hours) to let everyone offboard the plane instead.

I therefore make the case that this is certainly within the airline’s hands and as such make this claim based on the judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Tui & others v CAA confirmed the applicability of compensation for delay as set out in the Sturgeon case. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this delayed flight.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, which could mean taking it to court.

Yours faithfully,

After more than 1 month no response. I am now considering writing a NBA. But what is everyones opinion? Good case or not bad case?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cretec wrote: »
    I think I am entitled, but wanted to check with you all on this forum. I sent the following email to jet2:

After more than 1 month no response. I am now considering writing a NBA. But what is everyones opinion? Good case or not bad case?

Ooo - interesting and different. I would suggest that loading passengers on the plane is firmly within the control of the airline, and that this operational snafu cannot be regarded as "extraordinary circumstances" - though it's quite extraordinary in every other way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure