Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read thru all the FAG and Vauban's excellent download.
    Read thru all this thread including Dr Watson's excelent guide to taking Ryanair to court.
    Read "taking the airlines to court thread"
    Check flight stats for the previous flights/delays of your aircraft.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Check flight stats for the previous flights/delays of your aircraft.

Thanks, how do I do this bit?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    I asked why our flight was cancelled when others were arriving and leaving. They have not answered these questions. Yesterday their response simply stated "Your flight was cancelled due to a previous diversion caused by adverse weather conditions (thunderstorms) at Bacelona El Prat."

Looking at the departures for the evening of the 22nd August there was certainly something affecting all flights
    There are 19 flights that with reported departures between 10pm and 11pm that evening
    of these
    0 flights departed on time
    2 flights cancelled
    3 flights between 30 mins and 1 hour late
    11 flights between 1 and 2 hours late
    1 flight over 3.5 hours late
    1 flight over 5.5 hours late
    1 flight over 8.5 hours late

so although you may have been seeing some flights departing they are likely to have been flights from earlier on that had also been delayed

re Arrivals, it looks like nothing landed between 21:42 and 22:14 so as your aircraft was due to land at 22:00 it would have been affected by this and may have held as long as it could before having to divert

I would concentrate on getting your expenses sorted and maybe speak to your travel insurance and see what they offer but the evidence does point towards EU compensation not applying
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Looking at the departures for the evening of the 22nd August there was certainly something affecting all flights
    There are 19 flights that with reported departures between 10pm and 11pm that evening
    of these
    0 flights departed on time
    2 flights cancelled
    3 flights between 30 mins and 1 hour late
    11 flights between 1 and 2 hours late
    1 flight over 3.5 hours late
    1 flight over 5.5 hours late
    1 flight over 8.5 hours late

so although you may have been seeing some flights departing they are likely to have been flights from earlier on that had also been delayed

re Arrivals, it looks like nothing landed between 21:42 and 22:14 so as your aircraft was due to land at 22:00 it would have been affected by this and may have held as long as it could before having to divert

I would concentrate on getting your expenses sorted and maybe speak to your travel insurance and see what they offer but the evidence does point towards EU compensation not applying

Thanks for that information, very useful.

At the time when our flight was due out there was a Ryanair flight to Edinburgh. The passengers were ready to board it and suddenly they all came back to the lounge. The reason it seemed was that one of the cabin crew was ill and they had to find a replacement person. so whilst that flight departed, it departed later than it should have done.

The problem here is that Ryanair said nothing until 02.30 hours. Revised departure times kept popping up on the board and then disappearing. Then of course came the really bad news.
  • Dr_Watson
    Options
    Thanks for that information, very useful.

At the time when our flight was due out there was a Ryanair flight to Edinburgh. The passengers were ready to board it and suddenly they all came back to the lounge. The reason it seemed was that one of the cabin crew was ill and they had to find a replacement person. so whilst that flight departed, it departed later than it should have done.

The problem here is that Ryanair said nothing until 02.30 hours. Revised departure times kept popping up on the board and then disappearing. Then of course came the really bad news.

My thoughts on this,
    From the info Caz has provided (which is always excellent) it does seem that there was a consistent problem affecting many flights- very likely to be the weather from what has already been said, which of course is an EC that relieves RA of their duty to pay any compensation.
    Problem now is quite simple and prompts the question you are thinking:- Was it really the weather?
    RA won't budge from the limited answer you have been given so far so don't bother asking anymore.
    If you believe the weather wasn't the issue and, and only you knows how you feel, court action or at least going down the process of this is the only way you would receive any compensation you may be due.
    If you are not entitled to compensation then RA are still going to have prove that in this case weather issues were the problem that caused your flight to be eventually cancelled. The price of this will be your court fee if you go it alone, or nothing if a no win no fee company take on your claim for you- should you proceed.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • Caz3121
    Options

Lack of information is always an issue for the traveller.
    If they told you that the flight had diverted and were cancelling as soon as it happened then you would have least have known, however, I am guessing that behind the Ryanair scenes they were working on getting the aircraft to BCN to get folks back home, this may have been the plan and then the later it gets the more chance of the crew going out of hours so the options diminish until they run out of options and end up having to cancel as a last resort (which no airline wants to do as aircraft in the wrong places tend to have a knock on effect on the next days flights too and they may end up having to compensate these pax the next day as the delay would have been due to reactionary reasons)

Please note I am not a Ryanair supporter/defender. I spent 10 years working for an airline in another life and am now a weekly flyer so feel the frustration
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Dr_Watson wrote: »
    My thoughts on this,
    From the info Caz has provided (which is always excellent) it does seem that there was a consistent problem affecting many flights- very likely to be the weather from what has already been said, which of course is an EC that relieves RA of their duty to pay any compensation.
    Problem now is quite simple and prompts the question you are thinking:- Was it really the weather?
    RA won't budge from the limited answer you have been given so far so don't bother asking anymore.
    If you believe the weather wasn't the issue and, and only you knows how you feel, court action or at least going down the process of this is the only way you would receive any compensation you may be due.
    If you are not entitled to compensation then RA are still going to have prove that in this case weather issues were the problem that caused your flight to be eventually cancelled. The price of this will be your court fee if you go it alone, or nothing if a no win no fee company take on your claim for you- should you proceed.
    Thanks. Yes I am a tad suspicious given Ryanairs reputation. So I would like to get to the bottom of this. I felt that the best way to do this is to try to ascertain where the aircraft was when it should have been at Barcelona. Naturally I am interested to know whether it actually left Manchester when it should have.

If we aren't entitled to compensation due to it being a genuine weather issue, then of course I accept that. But if it isn't the case I'd like to get as much information surrounding the whereabouts of the aircraft.

The reason I'm particularly interested to learn about its inbound journey is because whilst on the flight back to Liverpool on the following day I was relating the story to one of the cabin crew who indicated that there may have been a problem cobbling a crew together at Manchester.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Lack of information is always an issue for the traveller.
    If they told you that the flight had diverted and were cancelling as soon as it happened then you would have least have known, however, I am guessing that behind the Ryanair scenes they were working on getting the aircraft to BCN to get folks back home, this may have been the plan and then the later it gets the more chance of the crew going out of hours so the options diminish until they run out of options and end up having to cancel as a last resort (which no airline wants to do as aircraft in the wrong places tend to have a knock on effect on the next days flights too and they may end up having to compensate these pax the next day as the delay would have been due to reactionary reasons)

Please note I am not a Ryanair supporter/defender. I spent 10 years working for an airline in another life and am now a weekly flyer so feel the frustration

Thanks for this information. It helps me to understand what may have gone on. Your mention of "reactionary" reasons interests me, and it's for that reason that I am questioning Ryanair about the location of the aircraft at the time when it ought to have been at Barcelona.
  • Caz3121
    Options
    I am questioning Ryanair about the location of the aircraft at the time when it ought to have been at Barcelona.

From Flightstats, and assuming the inbound flight was coming in from Manchester
    Scheduled departure from MAN: 6:35PM
    Actual departure from MAN: 7:12PM
    no actual arrival shown

oddly, the BCN-MAN flight does not show on flightstats; cancelled, delayed or otherwise
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    From Flightstats, and assuming the inbound flight was coming in from Manchester
    Scheduled departure from MAN: 6:35PM
    Actual departure from MAN: 7:12PM
    no actual arrival shown

oddly, the BCN-MAN flight does not show on flightstats; cancelled, delayed or otherwise

Curious. So it did set off from Manchester then I guess.

I wonder if it got diverted to Valencia? A guy who used that route regularly said that had happened on other occasions.

The Barcelona to Manchester flight was cancelled as that was the one that we should have been on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback