Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how long a medical emergency delay lasts ?

About 30 minutes into a flight from Manchester to Lanzarote we diverted to Gatwick due to a medical incident. The Pilot told us it would be approx 15 minute delay whilst the ill passenger disembarked. However after we had landed the Pilot then said we had made a heavy landing and a technician would need to check the plane and also that the crew would be out od time. Given we departed at 06.40am i fail to see how they could be out of time.

We disembarked and were rolling for take off on a 2nd Aircraft at 1.00pm when that flight was aborted due to a technical problem which couldnt be fixed. We eventually departed at 5.30 pm arrivimg our destination at 21.20pm.

Ryanair refuse compensation on the grounds it was a medical emergency but surely those grounds arent indefinite and i would have thought the next scheduled take off at 1.00 pm was the barometer for the further delay.

I would also like to know what happens to the original Aircraft we left Manchester on at 06.40am as i have a suspicion it was used for another purpose. How can i find this out.

Hi Brian,

Sounds like a right mess.

Was it a very heavy landing?

Sorry, I'll check what happened to your original aircraft when I get to my destination hotel and have caught up with some much needed sleep. In transit at Doha ATM. Got a 10 hour flight to catch shortly.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    Sounds like two separate problems. The medical emergency is not actionable but the heavy landing and what followed from it is a separate matter. The heavy landing was presumably the fault of the pilot and not caused by the medical emergency. After all the heavy landing would hardly help the ill passenger. So I’d pursue it
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, hope I can have some advice.

After we'd book flight only with Monach, we had to re-book 4 retrun flights with Ryanair to enable us to travel on the same days as the accomodation was booked.

In the process of going through ATOL for Monach as we booked in Nov 2016.

Coming home with Ryanair we were delayed 8 hours, during which we had to travel to another airport. The initial reason was fog, and the flight couldn't land- although other planes were landing. What we didn't know/we're told the plane had landed at another airport 2.5 hours away.
    Ryanair was meant to have told passengers, but didn't, the plane was sitting on the runway waiting for all the passengers- from 3pm until 7pm.
    We were eventually told, buses were laid on we got to the other airport and had to wait for the other buses to arrive before take off.

The desination was in Europe less 1300 miles distance, so from this site I've gone the Resolver to claim back the £220 per person- this was 4 weeks ago.

I have escelated it on Resolver this week, I just wondered how long it usually is before they even consider compensation, and if I have to fight for it?

By the time we arrived home 8 hours late, we'd recived an email from Ryanair with a "delay" certificate attached for 8 hours stating we had to claim on our holiday insurance- I didn't go down this road after reading details here.

Thank you
    :j
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Put your flight details into bottonline and euclaim they will tell you if you are due compensation. The distance for compensation is measured in Kilometres not miles so you might be over 1500 Km for the next level of compensation.
  • toozie_2
    Options
    Put your flight details into bottonline and euclaim they will tell you if you are due compensation. The distance for compensation is measured in Kilometres not miles so you might be over 1500 Km for the next level of compensation.

Thank you, I have done that the distance is about 100km under 1500.

Should I have complained direct to Ryanair instead of going through Resolver? I sort of followed information on here?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is often worth a try with Resolver, some people get results, but at the end of the day it is just a formalised letter writing excercise, which alot of airlines either ignore or respond to very very slowly.
    You will probably need to search for the good Dr Watson's notes on taking Ryanair through the ESCP (euro small claims procedure) for recovery of any compensation. Did Botts online flight checker say you had a valid claim?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • toozie_2
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    It is often worth a try with Resolver, some people get results, but at the end of the day it is just a formalised letter writing excercise, which alot of airlines either ignore or respond to very very slowly.
    You will probably need to search for the good Dr Watson's notes on taking Ryanair through the ESCP (euro small claims procedure) for recovery of any compensation. Did Botts online flight checker say you had a valid claim?

Hi yes, Botts said 250 euro.
    There were 4 of us flying.

How long should I leave it before starting the ESCP process please?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its up to you. The longer you leave it, the longer Ryanair will let it ride.
    You could ditch resolver if they have not responded at all, even with escalation.
    Have you donloadedVauban's most helpful guide?
    Send claim letter direct to Ryanair, give them however long you think is reasonable. I'd say 2 weeks as you have already tried to contact via resolver. If no response then you send your final demand, an NBA with a similar time frame on then start the ESCP process if necessary.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Justice13075
    Options
    NBA template letter on page 6 of Vaubans guide.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how long a medical emergency delay lasts ?

About 30 minutes into a flight from Manchester to Lanzarote we diverted to Gatwick due to a medical incident. The Pilot told us it would be approx 15 minute delay whilst the ill passenger disembarked. However after we had landed the Pilot then said we had made a heavy landing and a technician would need to check the plane and also that the crew would be out od time. Given we departed at 06.40am i fail to see how they could be out of time.

We disembarked and were rolling for take off on a 2nd Aircraft at 1.00pm when that flight was aborted due to a technical problem which couldnt be fixed. We eventually departed at 5.30 pm arrivimg our destination at 21.20pm.

Ryanair refuse compensation on the grounds it was a medical emergency but surely those grounds arent indefinite and i would have thought the next scheduled take off at 1.00 pm was the barometer for the further delay.

I would also like to know what happens to the original Aircraft we left Manchester on at 06.40am as i have a suspicion it was used for another purpose. How can i find this out.

Hi Bolton Brian,

What was the date of your delay?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback