Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• srikanthrv
    Options
    My flight was delayed for more than 4 hours. When i tried to claim compensation they said "was delayed because of aircraft damage which wasn’t caused by us, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled."

One of the forum member said this is not a valid reason for rejecting the claim. Since BA has closed the case, how do i proceed further?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are probably correct. You continue with your claim. Download and read Vauban's comprehensive guide. submit your claim again, marked as an NBA, with a time limit for settlement, usually 14 days.
    Then start court action if no payment received.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • strawberries1
    Options
    I used Resolver to claim compensation for arriving 7hrs after schedule as a result of a BA delay from chaning tyres and removing baggage for non boarding passenger. BA has responded to say it was an operational reason out of their control.

My scheduled arrival time was 15:25 but my actual arrival time was 22:31 because I missed the connecting flight as a result of the BA delay. I arrived 7hrs after schedule. Surely,they should've checked the tyres earlier? We were sat on the plan for hours.

I bought the ticket on Opodo and it was AER (Air Lingus) but operated by BA & United but I missed the United so got on AER and Jet Blue.

Scheduled Route: LHR - DUB - IAD Flight number: Aer Lingus EI 8330 (actually BA 7BAIK4 Flight BA 830 not AER)

LHR - DUB
    > > Scheduled departure time: Mon 19/12/16 8:15
    > > Scheduled arrival time: Mon 19/12/16 9:35

DUB - IAD (actually United not AER)
    >> Scheduled departure time: Mon 19/12/16 12:10
    >> Scheduled arrival time: Mon 19/12/16 15:25

Actual Route: LHR -DUB -BOS - BWI (Actually BA, AER & Jet Blue)
    > > Actual Arrival airport: BWI Baltimore Washington International
    > > Actual Arrival time: Mon 19/12/16 22:31
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used Resolver to claim compensation for arriving 7hrs after schedule as a result of a BA delay from chaning tyres and removing baggage for non boarding passenger. BA has responded to say it was an operational reason out of their control.

My scheduled arrival time was 15:25 but my actual arrival time was 22:31 because I missed the connecting flight as a result of the BA delay. I arrived 7hrs after schedule. Surely,they should've checked the tyres earlier? We were sat on the plan for hours.

I bought the ticket on Opodo and it was AER (Air Lingus) but operated by BA & United but I missed the United so got on AER and Jet Blue.

Scheduled Route: LHR - DUB - IAD Flight number: Aer Lingus EI 8330 (actually BA 7BAIK4 Flight BA 830 not AER)

LHR - DUB
    > > Scheduled departure time: Mon 19/12/16 8:15
    > > Scheduled arrival time: Mon 19/12/16 9:35

DUB - IAD (actually United not AER)
    >> Scheduled departure time: Mon 19/12/16 12:10
    >> Scheduled arrival time: Mon 19/12/16 15:25

> > Actual Arrival airport: BWI Baltimore Washington International
    > > Actual Arrival time: Mon 19/12/16 22:31

Hi Strawberries1,

Thats not a valid reason for BA to turn down your claim.

Ask them to refer your claim to CEDR, the ADR provider, who should adjudicate in your favour.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tyzap - it depends what strawberries is claiiming for, since 2 different airlines involved?
    If the original BA flight was delayed by 3 hours or more, some compesnation will be due, for that leg only, not the missed United flight. So the final destination/ arrival time is irrelevent?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Tyzap - it depends what strawberries is claiiming for, since 2 different airlines involved?
    If the original BA flight was delayed by 3 hours or more, some compesnation will be due, for that leg only, not the missed United flight. So the final destination/ arrival time is irrelevent?

JP,

It looks like it was BA connecting onto Aer Lingus, both part of IAG, so best to see what CEDR come back with.

Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • strawberries1
    Options
    JPears wrote: »

JPears, I bought only one ticket and it was AER. However, when I got to LHR is was a BA flight and when I arrive DUB it was United that I was supposed to get on. However, I didn't want to wait till the next day for the next United flight so AER put me on AER to Boston and then Jet Blue to BWI.

I don't think we were delayed for over 3hrs at LHR but I reached my destination 7hrs late because of that initial delay.
  • Dave_Coulson
    Options
    I have used the Resolver tool for a claim for a flight in July. I started the claim on 1st August and so far gone through 2 escalation stages without any reply from BA at all, not even an acknowledgement of the claim. Is this a normal experience of a BA claim? If so what can I do to get them to start engaging with me?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BA will take as long as you let them. Download and read Vauban’s guide
  • Tyzap
    Options
    I have used the Resolver tool for a claim for a flight in July. I started the claim on 1st August and so far gone through 2 escalation stages without any reply from BA at all, not even an acknowledgement of the claim. Is this a normal experience of a BA claim? If so what can I do to get them to start engaging with me?

Hi Dave,

As Legal Magpie says, they will string you along for as long as you let them.

Your next move should be to ask BA to refer your claim to CEDR, which will costs them either £125 or £150 I believe. As a result they will take a more serious look at things before agreeing to refer your claim.

Post details of your claim if you want a second opinion.

CEDR seem to be pretty fair imo.

Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback