Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andresykes wrote: »
    Is it now the case that knock on delays like ours are to be considered EC's?

The Regulation (which is still your starting point) is quite clear that weather can only be a defence in relation to a particular flight so if the problem affected a previous flight, that shouldn't give them a defence.

“… meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned …”

Another salutary lesson on the futility of contacting the CAA.

Anyway, as you know, the airline still has to be able to demonstrate all reasonable measures were taken, which I suspect they weren't in your case.

Get your NBA sent off and take them to court.
  • andresykes
    andresykes Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. The email from the CAA was along the lines of "following recent EU clarification on EC's", so I wasn't sure whether knock on delays were now being classified as EC's. cheers
  • TheSter
    Options
    Hi I was on the flight back from goa and have sent off two emails to thomsons requesting compensation for flight and lack of customer service from staff. Also that they did not offer the standard requirements that their website proudly promotes is offered if you are delayed.

The flight was also delayed as goa airport refused the flight to land due to it being a military airport and only able to allow charter flights in at specific times.

My first response said that I need to claim via my insurance and my second (and very short and curt) response states pretty much no, sorry you are not happy but tough.

Have you received a response from thomsons?

I will be responding and will continue my plight against a poor quality of service and lack of a formal answering of my questions and requests.

Thester
  • LauraLoo13
    Options
    Hi there, I wondered if anyone has any recommendations on companies to use to help with the claim for compensation? I am studying full time and have been trying for about 18 months on my own, backwards and forwards to Thomson without success. I just don't have the time to prepare for court, although I'm sure we are entitled to compensation and don't want to give up now. The question is where do I start? Does anyone have anyone they'd recommend? Thanks.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    LauraLoo13 wrote: »
    Hi there, I wondered if anyone has any recommendations on companies to use to help with the claim for compensation? I am studying full time and have been trying for about 18 months on my own, backwards and forwards to Thomson without success. I just don't have the time to prepare for court, although I'm sure we are entitled to compensation and don't want to give up now. The question is where do I start? Does anyone have anyone they'd recommend? Thanks.

I now would personally wait for the outcome of the Dawson and Huzar rulings in May. If both are upheld - and are relevant to your case - you may find that the airline throws in the towel.
  • Dontgiveup_2
    Options
    It's taken nine months but Thomson has now provided compensation for a four hours 58 minute delay to my party of six family members who were on TOM 4655 on 22/6/13. Seems I got their standard 'ignore and he'll go away' treatment by not responding to letters (sent by tracked post to their MD) until I sent a chaser and got what looked like a standard cut and paste response from customer services referring to exceptional circumstances and a problem with a previous flight with details of court cases that favoured Thomson. I asked Thomson to provide specific information about the previous flight: date, time, departure airport and nature of the problem which of course was ignored. I eventually threatened legal action which I was quite prepared to undertake if they did not provide the information I requested. The response this time from the Directors' office was another seeming cut and paste job without the specific information I had requested. I replied requesting again the info about the 'previous flight' and on the day I planned to fill in the County Court application I got a cheque from Thomson, who admitted that on investigation the delay was due to an operational issue and qualified under the EC rules. I paid top price for our early evening flight as we had our two year old grandson with us and there were many other babies and young children on board. The flight was delayed 4 hours and 58 minutes so instead of landing at 20:00 with enough time for children to be home and in bed not too late our flight landed a few minutes before 1:00am with lots of unhappy children. It wasn't high season and Thomson should have acted quicker with proper contingencies in place but I recognise that exceptional unavoidable delays do occur. My main reason for pursuing the claim was due to the high handed arrogant attitude of one of the flight attendants. Given the lengthy delay and number of upset children on the plane Thomson continued its policy of charging for tea etc and when I suggested that some goodwill might be in order given the long delay I got a ' computer say no' type of answer and she then said 'we've been delayed too'. That remark was the clincher. Once home I did my research and found out about the EC ruling. The final paragraph of the letter from Thomson on behalf of their Board thanked me "for taking the time to contact us". Ho Ho just the nine months! Apologies for the lengthy post but hope this is helpful especially to anyone who was on our flight. I didn't use a claims company. A solicitor would have cost more than claim but got some useful template text for county court application from a solicitor provided via household insurance policy.
  • karlinka
    Options
    I have e-mailed Thompson and the CAA about a 8hr delayed flight to America in 2011. Thompson original response was that the complaint was over 2 years old so they could not compensate me. I then went on to e-mail the CAA who eventually responsed by saying they had return the complaint to Thompson to review again under the new ruling. Thompson has again refused to compensate due to the 2 year period. I am sure this is wrong and complaints can go back up to 6 years. Where should i go from here as I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    karlinka wrote: »
    Where should i go from here as I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Read this thread and the FAQs where this is discussed in minute detail.
  • karlinka
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    Read this thread and the FAQs where this is discussed in minute detail.

Thanks for your response David. I have read a few posts on here and they refer to the Dawson and Huzar case. Could you give me a brief update on this as haven't got time to read all 239 post and not really sure how to search on this forum. Thanks
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    david_e - if you really lucky they might send you their paperwork to fill in too ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport