Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• RPWJ
    RPWJ Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it was 12th July, on a Thomas Cook plane and about a 6 hour delay. They told us to get ready for an overnight in a hotel but got a plane from somewhere.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    put the details you have into bottonline you don't need your flight number they can find it from the information you have. Also try a couple of dates either side
  • RPWJ
    RPWJ Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. All done and claim submitted.
  • Monologue
    Options
    On June 18th, my partner and I were due to fly from MAN to FUE with a departure time of 7.00am. A long story short, at 1.30pm we finally knew that due to maintenance issues, the plane was changed causing a downsize with 71 individuals cut and an adjusted departure time of 16.30 (17.15 actual departure). My partner and I were two people cut from our original flight and put on the flight for the next day. We were not able to leave Manchester until near 16.00 when our luggage had finally been returned and our coach available to take us to our hotel for the night (another fiasco as it took us to the airport we were to fly out of the next day). We just want to double check that we're owed both a delay and a change of flight compensation. We've received two different letters from TC. Only the flight change to the next day confirms payment we will receive. The other one confirms the flight delay and what should have been our flight (and a flight delay we did/would have experienced).

We're trying to assess how much we need to push for in our subsequent complaint about all the other issues we had. Thanks in advance.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately you are due only one lot of compensation. However, if the airline did not ask for volunteers due to the smaller aircraft, which they are required to by law, you may have a case. The airline cannot choose who they offload, they must ask for volunteers where the cost of taking a later flight is up for negotiation. Conveniently, the airlines seem to "forget" this basic tenant of law.
    Airlines treat you like something you'd rather not have on the sole of your shoe. Time to throw some back. Small claims court time.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Monologue
    Options
    They did not publicly ask for volunteers. We were at the appropriate gates / information desk at times asked of us and during no point in that interaction were volunteers requested. We were told that TC head office was deciding who to cut and we would know over the next two hours if we were being moved to a different flight. Do they have to make a public announcement for it to constitute as having asked for volunteers?

Also, can I get clarification on delay times? From reading this thread, it appears arrival time is when doors open? Yet our return flight delay of 2 hr 58 mins (MT 1545 on 25/6; the delay was caused by a late arriving flight from Manchester) is based on the time we landed. I know because I was closely watching the clock. I also noticed incorrect information kept getting fed to sites like flight tracker. I'm assuming this isn't possible to argue? When I checked post flight and just now, everything is reporting under 3 hour delay.
  • PomBear
    PomBear Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Monologue wrote: »
    Also, can I get clarification on delay times? From reading this thread, it appears arrival time is when doors open? Yet our return flight delay of 2 hr 58 mins (MT 1545 on 25/6; the delay was caused by a late arriving flight from Manchester) is based on the time we landed. I know because I was closely watching the clock. I also noticed incorrect information kept getting fed to sites like flight tracker. I'm assuming this isn't possible to argue? When I checked post flight and just now, everything is reporting under 3 hour delay.

According to FR24, your return flight was scheduled to arrive at 16.30, but landed at 19.19. Watching it in playback, it arrives at the terminal at 19.27. So, just under three hours. Assuming there were no EC, you would only be due compensation if the first door was opened at or after the three-hour point.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to update again.

I can now see my flight delay compensation is waiting to go into my bank account tomorrow. Just in time to pay for our next holiday!!!
  • MANDY_68
    MANDY_68 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    PomBear wrote: »
    Cunny - not sure whether other posters would agree, but what about writing back to TC issuing an NBA?

You could state that they have denied your claim based on the landing time of the aircraft and not its arrival time, which is the point the first aircraft door is opened. Quote the relevant binding case law - see Vauban’s superb guide.

It might not work, but for the cost of a stamp and a few minutes of your time, it is worth a shot.
    Hi pombear, I too have just had the same generic message cunny666666 had from thomas cook, I have emailed straight back asking if the time they saying is the arrival time of 23.54 is the time the first door opened on the plane...
    Will await there replay and got my nba e-mail written and ready using the guide given.
  • numptytimmy
    Options
    Hi,

I would be really grateful for some advice.

I flew out with Thomas Cook on TCX1178 on 13/06 LGW to HER and was delayed by 172 minutes and on the way back flew on TCX1179 on (supposed to be) 20/06 HER to LGW - and this was delayed by over 24 hours (or cancelled and rescheduled for the next day -it would seem Thomas Cook were pushing for this). the reason for both delays was a Technical Fault.

I have a couple of questions, the first of which is that TC has agreed to compensation for the return journey (how kind of them), but not for the way out as it is short of the 3 hours. However I believe both journeys were scheduled on the same plane which had technical faults both times). Do I have any sort of fightback based on them trying to use the same faulty plane on both journeys and then having a combined delay of over 27 hours. I would guess not but I feel always worth asking the question as I am sure you can understand we are absolutely fuming with them.

The second question is around providing us food and drink, we got vouchers for the first night and hotel accommodation and breakfast but no lunch or dinner was provided and delayed flight eventually left at about 10:30pm. Do TC have to reimbuse our addition food expenses in this time outside of our compensation amount?

Also I had a Hotel room booked at Gatwick that I have been charged a Noshow - can I claim this outside of my compensation or does this get thrown in as well?

Sorry for the ramble and again any help you can offer is much appreciated?

So I have got the response to both our flights;

TCX1179 - They have agreed to pay £700 even though are 3 of us on the booking (myself wife and 4 year old), and have completed ignored the receipts we submitted for lunch and non alcoholic drinks. Any advice on how to respond?

TCX1178 - They claim our flight was meant to arrive 18:10 UTC but arrived at 21:06 UTC and thus was under 3 hours. I suspect they are quoting the landing time rather than the doors opened time, can anyone recommend the best way of challenging them on the arrival time?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport