Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• trixie73
    trixie73 Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you fill out the complaints form on the Thomas cook website, there is a section at the very bottom that states you must tick this box if you want cash and not vouchers.when ticked it allows you to fill in your bank account details
  • CannyCaz
    CannyCaz Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I have read Vauban's Guide (twice, to be sure I didn't miss what I was looking for the first time). I know what I'm entitled to; I was asking for ideas on how to get it given that Thomas Cook are ignoring my requests for it in cash. The main MSE guide also says that I'm entitled to cash (I read that too, before I even looked at the forum and found out about Vauban), says Thomas Cook are particularly bad for trying to fob people off with vouchers, and quotes someone whoseems to have asked for cash and been sent a cheque by return. Unfortunately, this hasn't been my experience. Hence my request for help.
  • CannyCaz
    Options
    The vouchers are for the same amount, and given that it's taken me two and a half years to get this far, I wouldn't touch Thomas Cook again with a s***** stick!
  • CannyCaz
    Options
    The original complaint via the Thomas Cook online form was made in late 2013, shortly after the delayed flight, and as far as I recall there was no such button at the time. This is my second attempt to get them to look at the issue again after the ruling about ECs; I've been using Resolver and it's worked well up to this point. Stuff I've read talks about compensation usually being paid as a cheque, though...
  • DIYBaldyman
    Options
    CannyCaz wrote: »
    Stuff I've read talks about compensation usually being paid as a cheque, though...

After months of being messed around & fobbed off by T.C.'s Customer Relations Team, within 7 days of issuing my LBA directly to the Legal Department address, I was telephoned by someone from their Legal Department. They asked me to confirm a valid email address, issued an offer by email & once I had confirmed my acceptance, they requested my bank details to make the payment directly into my account.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE.
    Flight delays - Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.
    April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    Old debt passed to collection agency? Issue CCA request & possibly have debt rendered unenforceable. Feb 2021 - £42 of old debt legally written off & cost £1 per account.
  • CannyCaz
    Options
    That's good to know. I joined Facebook yesterday specially to message Thomas Cook, but haven't had a response yet; I'll give them to the end of the week, but it's looking very much like I'll have to go the same way...
  • CannyCaz
    Options
    I received a response from TC via Resolver asking me to call to provide my bank details, which I've just done. I have no idea if this is because of the Facebook message, or simply because I flagged my last email from Resolver as a further "complaint", which I hadn't with my two previous emails which they ignored. Fingers crossed that there are no further bumps in the road and thanks again for your help :j
  • caw6
    caw6 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am really impressed that thomas cook should settle your claim so quickly I have also put in a claim for a delayed flight with thomas cook ,we were delayed approx 6 hours on the manchester to rhodes flight mt2032 on saturday 26th march On return home on 3/4/16 I put in a claim for the delay via resolver .I have not even received a reply from thomas cook to my initial email or a further one 14 days later.Has anyone any idea why this might be or if there is something I should have done that I have missed?
  • CannyCaz
    edited 1 May 2016 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Hi Christine, my flight delay was actually September 3rd 2013, so it's taken me two and a half years to get this far! Initially, you need to claim via the online form on the Thomas Cook website; I don't believe they will engage with claims submitted any other way at the outset. My initial claim was dismissed out of hand by TC, who then declined to enter into any further correspondence on the matter (i.e. they began ignoring me). My recollection is, though, that they acknowledged receipt of my claim form within a couple of days of my submitting it,with a standard holding message saying that they would investigate and get back to me. So if you haven't used their form, you need to do that as a first step. Of course, one of the problems with an online form is that you have no record of it, so it's maybe a good idea to take a screen shot before you send it; I'm not sure if there'd be a way of then incorporating that into Resolver so that you can use their tracking and escalating functions.
    To go back to my own story, as TC originally used the EC excuse and wouldn't discuss it further, I then contacted the Greek CAA (flight was from Heraklion-Glasgow); I got a standard "we'll investigate and get back to you" reply, but they never did... After the ruling about ECs, I recontacted both TC and the Greek CAA by email, and got no response from either. For my third attempt, I used Resolver. I have the impression that the fact that the template message which I adapted had the word "complaint" in both the subject line and the first line of the body text made a difference! Even then I had to escalate to a director before I got a response.
    Good luck with your claim, I think it's very true that you really have to hang on in there and be determined - from the company's point of view, if even 10% of claimants give up when they ignore them, that's a lot of money saved for zero effort! I'm considering involving my MEP to see if there's something that can be done to prevent airlines attempting to evade their legal obligations...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure