🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is almost certain that you will ultimately need to prove that you were on the flight (passport stamps can prove your presence at the airport & have been accepted as proof of flying). You could try going around the back with Thomas Cook, call their Customer Relations team & make up a reason as to why you need to track down your original booking reference, copy invoice, hotel & flight details etc... (tell them you have an old insurance claim that had been forgotten & are being asked for the details etc.). They have been known to be able to provide such information fairly easily as they won't know you need the information to make a claim against them.

Would a Data Protection Act "Subject Access Request" oblige them to divulge any info that they have (assuming they won't play ball)?

From their site:

"Access to your personal data

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to check that your personal data is being processed lawfully (“subject access right”). Your subject access right can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any subject access request must be made in writing to: The Company Secretary, Legal & Compliance Dept., Thomas Cook Retail Ltd, The Thomas Cook Business Park, Unit 17 Coningsby Road, Peterborough, PE3 8SB, and may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of any personal data we hold about you."
  • DIYBaldyman
    DIYBaldyman Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    Would a Data Protection Act "Subject Access Request" oblige them to divulge any info that they have (assuming they won't play ball)?

Excellent suggestion, definitely worth a go for £10...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE.
    Flight delays - Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.
    April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    Old debt passed to collection agency? Issue CCA request & possibly have debt rendered unenforceable. Feb 2021 - £42 of old debt legally written off & cost £1 per account.
  • trixie73
    trixie73 Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We flew out with Thomas cook last Saturday from Manchester to paphos. We set off on time (1.10pm) and was 30 mins into the flight when the pilot told us there was a problem with the landing gear, and because facilities aren't as good in Cyprus he was turning round and going back to Manchester. He told us that because the plane was full of fuel we couldn't land until he'd burnt it off, which took another 2 and a half hours. By the time we landed it was 4.10 pm. We then had to transfer us and luggage to another plane. We finally set off at 6 pm and arrived in paphos at 12.30am (4and half hours late). Today I filled in the complaints form on Thomas cook website.I got an immediate response saying they were investigating it. Just 1 hour later I got another emailing saying investigation was complete and I was getting £650 compensation and will be in my bank account within 10 working days. Very happy with that and well done to Thomas cook for a speedy response, didn't expect it to be so easy.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most airlines (but not all) are taking a more sensible approach and, hopefully, your response is perhaps a sign of better things to come.Well done!
  • razorsedge
    razorsedge Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent suggestion, definitely worth a go for £10...

It is unlikely that they will supply you 'proof' you were on a flight from an SAR. Most likely because they do not have that info any more after such a long time. However even if they had it, given the time limits for responses to SAR's (40 days) and follow up appeals because you did not get what you needed you would probably end up out of time.

Some posts on the SAR subject:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69383690&highlight=sar#post69383690

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67540660&highlight=sar#post67540660
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • DIYBaldyman
    Options
    Email just received from Thomas Cook's legal department;

Without Prejudice

Good Afternoon Mr Ward,

We are willing to offer £1,144.98 in full and final settlement on a without admission basis.

If you could please provide me with your account details I can ensure payment is sent within 14 days.

:j:beer::j:beer::j:beer::j:beer::j

Based on €400 x 4 passengers, date of delay 14/08/2015.

:rotfl::j:rotfl::j:rotfl::j:rotfl::j:rotfl:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flight delays - Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.
    April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    Old debt passed to collection agency? Issue CCA request & possibly have debt rendered unenforceable. Feb 2021 - £42 of old debt legally written off & cost £1 per account.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done. A great result
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2016 at 2:45PM
    Options
    razorsedge wrote: »
    It is unlikely that they will supply you 'proof' you were on a flight from an SAR. Most likely because they do not have that info any more after such a long time. However even if they had it, given the time limits for responses to SAR's (40 days) and follow up appeals because you did not get what you needed you would probably end up out of time.

It's impossible to know what they may and may not have kept so worth asking, even if they charge the modest fee. Of course you don't have to await the outcome of the SAR before sending NBA and issuing a claim. Any actual hearing would be some time after and, as we know, the time limit is for the commencement of proceedings.

It appears that McDougall44 has no documentary evidence at all so got to be worth a try.

Straying well beyond my sphere of knowledge, is it ultimately up to the judge to decide what evidence to accept? If the airline can't prove McDougal44 wasn't on the flight (by producing a manifest showing his/her name absent) and McDougal44 insists he/she and partner were, does the balance of probability favour the airline or the passenger?
  • DIYBaldyman
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    Straying well beyond my sphere of knowledge, is it ultimately up to the judge to decide what evidence to accept? If the airline can't prove McDougal44 wasn't on the flight (by producing a manifest showing his/her name absent) and McDougal44 insists he/she and partner were, does the balance of probability favour the airline or the passenger?

I've been looking into this in more detail & what I said previously about proving you were on the flight was not quite correct.

Regarding the actual wording of the Regulation - it was originally only aimed at cancellations or denials of boarding, delays were included later by a binding judgement that ruled delays over a certain time had to be treated the same way.

The Regulation only requires that you can show, in the balance of probability, that you presented yourself for check-in, it does not require you to prove that you were actually on the flight.

Such things as credit card receipts / statements car-parking, duty-free purchases, sign-in logs from airport lounges, passport stamps at destination airports etc... could be presented as proof that [in the balance of probability] a passenger presented for check-in.

Anything that you can produce that will tip the probability in your favour will assist your case.

And to reiterate what David_e said just now, don't let not having any of these details now prevent you from commencing your legal action before the 6 year date or it will all have been for nothing anyway.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Another winner, I didn't expect anything less.

Very well done Steve.:)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport