Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• pip10
    pip10 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I recently sent a first letter to TC at the following address, which was signed for the next day...

Flythomascook Legal Department
    Unit 4a
    Adwalton Moor Business Park
    Inmoor Road

Birkenshaw
    Bradford, BD11 2PS

However, people on this thread have also mentioned an address in Peterborough for correspondence, which you could try. If you read through pages of this thread you will find a number of addresses mentioned.

An alternative is to post on the Thomas Cook public forums, which might bring about a quick response!
    jtjrlm1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thomas Cook have offered me vouchers as compensation for my flight delay:

Enfidah to Manchester delayed 15 hours for two passengers, voucher of £698.00 sent to me via email

I have emailed back on three occasions and they are not replying to my emails any more, who can I contact to get this resolved as I want cash not vouchers

Thanks
  • willarikk
    willarikk Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Yes you can request cash, they will try and quibble with you like extending the expiry date of the voucher etc but stick to your guns and ask for the cash.

Not to gloat but received my cheque Saturday 25th May. Not bad, first email approx. 5 weeks ago, response received 14 days later with voucher offer which I declined, asked for a cheque to be raised was advised it could but could take up to 28 days I said ok!!!

Its now clearing in my bank......RESULT!!

I can only assume that they didn't have a leg to stand on with my claim as they never tried to defend it and paid up immediately.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • noseasonticket
    Options
    Well done to you:beer:

Could you please post some details of your flight to help others:beer:
  • sging1
    sging1 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2013 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Flight to return from Cruise on 17/12/2011
    cancellation 1 - waited on runway for 5 hours issue with plane, told issue fixed then told issue with staff flying times have lapsed so sent off plane back into a holding area with no toilets or seating, no air on for 3 hours.
    cancellation 2 brought to airport for full day checked in flight times delayed all day and moved from one time to another waited all evening, no TC rep, was told the previous day issue fixed however not the case to be told later being cancelled, sent away again to sub standard hotel had to purchase own hotel and food, came a 3rd day, delayed all day again, I had to call British Embassy after 14 hours in airport flew 9pm ish that evening

Something strange happening here as I was on the flight home from Barbados the day before on the 16th and just as we were about to lift into the air the hydraulics on the steering failed (so the captain said). We were also on the plane for over 5 hours before being sent back to the terminal for nearly three hours and then to a hotel.
    However, we flew out just over 24 hours late on the 17th December 2011 and around the time you should have flown. I am suspicious that they gave us your plane the next day as ours from the day before was still broken and parked next to us on the runway when we flew out.

The question is did they sit you on our broken plane from the day before, hoping to get it fixed. I know P&O (Ventura) had passengers leaving via Thomas Cook on Friday 16th and Saturday the 17th in December 2011.

I have sent you a PM.
  • mick9721
    mick9721 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I refer to my thread no 1088 page 55

I have issued a County Court claim. They tried a further delay
    tactic which didn't work. They filed a defence 90% of which
    is denial. After 2 1/2 years they have now finally decided the
    delays were you've guessed it due to ECs I have submitted to
    them a response to their defence. Basically they are saying
    the Sturgeon case is not applicable, Graham and Anor case is
    applicable in fact it has no bearing on a compensation claim as it
    is a claim for civil damages and NOT compensation.
    They also tried to get my case to Bradford CC and failed and it has been transferred to Mansfield CC

I have also submitted to them a fully detailed statement. Although an acknowledgement of receipt was asked for they
    don't even bother to respond

I have requested details of the alleged EC but have received
    no response. I have pointed out to them that if they do not
    supply the information or refuse I shall bring it to the attention
    of the DJ pointing out they have failed to comply with County
    Court procedures and ask for costs against them.

Currently waiting for notice of allocation from the Court.
  • sging1
    Options
    mick9721 wrote: »
    I refer to my thread no 1088 page 55

I have issued a County Court claim. They tried a further delay
    tactic which didn't work. They filed a defence 90% of which
    is denial. After 2 1/2 years they have now finally decided the
    delays were you've guessed it due to ECs I have submitted to
    them a response to their defence. Basically they are saying
    the Sturgeon case is not applicable, Graham and Anor case is
    applicable in fact it has no bearing on a compensation claim as it
    is a claim for civil damages and NOT compensation.
    They also tried to get my case to Bradford CC and failed and it has been transferred to Mansfield CC

I have also submitted to them a fully detailed statement. Although an acknowledgement of receipt was asked for they
    don't even bother to respond

I have requested details of the alleged EC but have received
    no response. I have pointed out to them that if they do not
    supply the information or refuse I shall bring it to the attention
    of the DJ pointing out they have failed to comply with County
    Court procedures and ask for costs against them.

Currently waiting for notice of allocation from the Court.

I am at the same point as you and they have also failed to declare to me or in their defence the EC, just waiting on the judge to get in touch now. They tried Bradford court as well but it got assigned to my local court. Keep us up to date.
  • barrington
    barrington Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Just started a claim against TC for 5 hour delay Manchester to Dalaman, Turkey 23 July 2012. I was told the flight would be 4 hours late when I checked in and went online to check out compensation. Whilst on TC website, I got a pop-up offering live chat...

General InfoOperator Chat Name:MonicaChat Start Time:07/23/2012 11:16:54 AMChat End Time:07/23/2012 11:26:19 AMTime Elapsed:0:08:44Name:barry

Chat Transcript11:17:33 AM [barry] My flight has been delayed 4 hours. What compensation can I claim? What meals can I claim?
    11:19:49 AM [Monica] tosorry no compensation is payable, the airport staff will be able to advise what you are entitled
    11:21:37 AM [barry] Your terms and conditions claim compliance with UEC Regulation 261/2004, please explain why NO compensation is due
    11:22:10 AM [Monica] Please contact the airport staff as we do not deal with this
    11:22:16 AM [barry] 9.2 Our policy on compensation and assistance in the event of delays and cancellations is in accordance with EC Regulation 261/2004, are set out in a notice which we will provide to passengers affected and which will be available from us on request.
    11:22:37 AM [Monica] again Please contact the airport staff as we do not deal with this

11:23:20 AM [barry] I am on YOUR website, asking you for the information it says you will provide on request
    11:23:38 AM [barry] thomascookairlines-conditions-of-travel (link removed as new user)
    11:24:33 AM [barry] Transcript of this conversation printed for future reference
    11:25:08 AM [Monica] that's fine I have referred you to the people that will know the full information of what you are entitled to
    11:25:58 AM [barry] Thank you for the misdirection monica

Monica dismissed any claim for compensation - without asking anything about my flight, and the reason for the delay!

I have sent a model letter claiming compensation and got an email this morning...

"I am writing in response to your letter regarding your recent travel arrangements with Thomas Cook.

It is with regret that I note your flight with us was delayed. Whilst delays are an unfortunate part of air travel, I would like to assure you that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to ensure that any disruption to our passengers is kept to an absolute minimum.

When a delay is initially identified, it is not always immediately apparent as to when a revised take off time can be secured. A number of factors have to be considered, which can vary dependent on the reason for the delay, and quite often we are reliant on outside influences, such as Airport Authorities or Air Traffic Control. Throughout, however, as soon as confirmed information is available, this is passed onto our customers as quickly as possible through our handling agents at the airport.

Although delays do occur on occasion, they can arise for a number of different reasons, and having carried out a full investigation the specific circumstances surrounding the delay to your own flight were of a technical nature, which were extraordinary, despite Thomas Cook taking all reasonable precautions necessary to prevent the situation. All aircraft can experience technical problems that are totally unforeseen, despite all reasonable attempts to ensure they are maintained to a good standard, in line with CAA regulations. This can be compared to any mechanical breakdown which can happen at any time without prior knowledge or warning.

I can see that passengers were provided with welfare during this time, which was deemed appropriate for the length of your delay. It is with regret to inform you that we will be unable to consider any claims for compensation as a result of the delay to your flight.

Please be assured that on-time performance is a key measure for us as a business, and we constantly review our operations to ensure we deliver the best results, and service. I would like to offer our apologies for any inconvenience you were caused on this occasion and I hope that despite this, your stay was found to be an enjoyable one.

Kind Regards

Jennifer Wright

Customer Relations"

I have asked Ms Wright to specify the exact reason for the delay prior to starting small claims action. I believe the airline have to PROVE that delays were extraordinary. Has anyone ever received an explanation of the actual reason for a flight being delayed?
  • barrington
    barrington Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Flight TCX2526 on 23 July 2012 from Manchester, UK to Dalaman, Turkey with the scheduled departure time of 13:40. This flight arrived 5 hours late at Dalaman airport.

Anyone else claimed for this flight?
  • sging1
    Options
    barrington wrote: »
    I have asked Ms Wright to specify the exact reason for the delay prior to starting small claims action. I believe the airline have to PROVE that delays were extraordinary. Has anyone ever received an explanation of the actual reason for a flight being delayed?

Thomas Cook are never very forthcoming with these technical causes and they will normally create another delay by saying this is confidential information and you will need to contact the CAA.
    I requested it back in March and they never even put it into their defence to the court. I am still waiting on the CAA’s report since the 3rd February even though I have sent them an e-mail three times requesting it for my pending court case.
  • maz08
    maz08 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Well folks I am nearly there after months of Correspondence with Thomas Cook I have received an email offering me an evoucher, I have of course requested a cheque, I will update once I have received payment

Thanks to you all for your assistance much appreciated.

Happy Days

Maz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family