🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robbie1967 wrote: »
    I am writing in response to your letter regarding your travel arrangements with Thomas Cook.

It is with regret that I note your flight with us was delayed.Whilst delays are an unfortunate part of air travel, I would like to assure you that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to ensure that any disruption to our passengers is kept to an absolute minimum.

With regard to your request for us to deal with your claim under EU Regulation 261/2004, the legislation does ask that the customer prove that they travelled on the flight. In order to continue with your claim, I therefore require proof of your reservation with our airline before we can proceed. I would therefore ask you to send us one of the below documents to confirm your reservation with our airline:

1.Your confirmation invoice

2.Your ticket booklet

3.Your boarding cards

Unfortunately, should you be unable to confirm to us that you had a reservation with us; we cannot accept your claim or meet with any request for compensation.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time and trouble to write to us about your experience and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Michelle McIntyre

that was the email we receive this morning
    we are claiming from 2009 and don't have any of the paper work required to continue with the claim does anyone know were we go from here thanks

Make a data protection Search Access Request to the airline, check emails for evidence of flight itinerary, speak with travel agents if booked through them, check credit card statements.

The regulations does not ANYWHERE stipulate that the passenger must prove they were on the flight, but a court would require you to demonstrate that, on the balance of probability, you were.
  • jevban
    jevban Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

what or who are the companies who will take this on a no win no fee basis please?.. I have had the standard knock back letter(email actually), repeated on this forum numerous times, and now nothing, just like before I went onto the customer site...that got me the knock back email saying we weren't delayed, despite reps at Manchester handing out refreshment vouchers...we were scheduled to fly at 1pm and eventually left at 4.20...I make that 3 hrs 28 mins delayed.. Thomas Cook staff think this is not 3 hours????????

thanks

Jan
  • pip10
    pip10 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    It's your actual arrival time which is important - did you arrive at your destination more than 3 hours late?
    jevban wrote: »
    Hi

what or who are the companies who will take this on a no win no fee basis please?.. I have had the standard knock back letter(email actually), repeated on this forum numerous times, and now nothing, just like before I went onto the customer site...that got me the knock back email saying we weren't delayed, despite reps at Manchester handing out refreshment vouchers...we were scheduled to fly at 1pm and eventually left at 4.20...I make that 3 hrs 28 mins delayed.. Thomas Cook staff think this is not 3 hours????????

thanks

Jan
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "...the legislation does ask that the customer prove that they travelled on the flight".

Oh well, that's a new one. :)
    I think I'd ask them to provide evidence of where it said this, if I was interested in writing backwards and forwards for about a year.
    But I'm not.
    In your position I would now give them notice of impending court action if they don't settle within 14 days (called an NBA letter, check the FAQ's) and proceed to court, where all of this sort of nonsense will be asked for again anyway.
  • andyfer
    andyfer Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I'm a new poster to this forum but have been reading posts for some time.
    Attempting to claim for a 2011 flight from Tenerife to Glasgow (TCX 3417 on 10/7/11) where we were told there was a problem with the plane and were transferred to a later Monarch flight and taken to Manchester then bussed to Glasgow resulting in a delay of over 8hrs.
    Got the standard" Extraordinary Circumstances" letter a few months ago but recently sent the NBA letter to TC ,Bradford office "signed for". This delivery failed and I didn't have the energy to go through the Royal Mail claim process so Just sent it again 1st class.
    The 14 days has now expired with no response from the company so I am going to apply to the Small Claims court in Scotland.
    Do you think the fact I can't prove TC received the NBA letter will be a problem (I read somewhere on here they closed the Bradford office!) and has anyone been through the small claims procedure in relation to this type of claim. If so, how was it?
  • badbobby
    badbobby Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    andyfer wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm a new poster to this forum but have been reading posts for some time.
    Attempting to claim for a 2011 flight from Tenerife to Glasgow (TCX 3417 on 10/7/11) where we were told there was a problem with the plane and were transferred to a later Monarch flight and taken to Manchester then bussed to Glasgow resulting in a delay of over 8hrs.
    Got the standard" Extraordinary Circumstances" letter a few months ago but recently sent the NBA letter to TC ,Bradford office "signed for". This delivery failed and I didn't have the energy to go through the Royal Mail claim process so Just sent it again 1st class.
    The 14 days has now expired with no response from the company so I am going to apply to the Small Claims court in Scotland.
    Do you think the fact I can't prove TC received the NBA letter will be a problem (I read somewhere on here they closed the Bradford office!) and has anyone been through the small claims procedure in relation to this type of claim. If so, how was it?

You have to send it to the registered office of the company you are claiming from, which is most likely Peterborough.
  • andyfer
    andyfer Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    The FAQ's still show the Bradford address as the correct one for Thomas Cook.
    Has this been changed?
  • s_Hurst
    s_Hurst Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    15 hour delay from Enfidha to Manchester in April. I have received a voucher as compensation. Any query to go to Civil aviation.I am a single traveller and asked if the vouche rcould not be split into two as I go flight only.I have booked aflight this week Thomas Cook but via travel republic as no availabilty shown on Thomas Cook site.Silly but voucher cannot be redeemed for this. I go frequently to Tunisia but for me two vouchers would have been more acceptable. Can I request cash instead??? seems vouchers are so much hassle.
  • Davidvgoliath
    Options
    s_Hurst wrote: »
    15 hour delay from Enfidha to Manchester in April. I have received a voucher as compensation. Any query to go to Civil aviation.I am a single traveller and asked if the vouche rcould not be split into two as I go flight only.I have booked aflight this week Thomas Cook but via travel republic as no availabilty shown on Thomas Cook site.Silly but voucher cannot be redeemed for this. I go frequently to Tunisia but for me two vouchers would have been more acceptable. Can I request cash instead??? seems vouchers are so much hassle.

The regulations state compensation is payable in cash, you are not obliged to accept vouchers. Write back, sending the vouchers, stating the regulations require settlement in cash. Assuming TC have sent vouchers for the full amount full (See FAQ's) they have effectively admitted liability, so cannot refuse.
  • jtjrlm1
    jtjrlm1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Thomas Cook have offered me vouchers as compensation for my flight delay:

Enfidah to Manchester delayed 15 hours for two passengers, voucher of £698.00 sent to me via email

I have emailed back on three occasions and they are not replying to my emails any more, who can I contact to get this resolved as I want cash not vouchers

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family