MSE News: Take off for flight delay compensation

Replies

• If my return flight to the UK (EU) from Turkey (non EU) was delayed for over 3 hours can I claim? The airline was Thomas Cook.
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shopalotB wrote: »
    If my return flight to the UK (EU) from Turkey (non EU) was delayed for over 3 hours can I claim? The airline was Thomas Cook.

If you don't know the answer to that question, I don't rate your chances very highly ...
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    If you don't know the answer to that question, I don't rate your chances very highly ...
    lol:rotfl:
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Our party of 3 were booked on the Glasgow to Newark flight on 19 Oct 2010 with Continental Airlines. The flight was due to depart at 9am. We waited at the departure gate until 11.45am when the flight was eventually cancelled (technical fault). We were rerouted via Heathrow to Newark arriving 10 hours later than our original arrival time. We unsuccesssfully tried to claim compensation from Continental. They said the fault repair was outwith their control as they did not have a 'maintenance facility in Glasgow' and the parts had to be sent from Newark. Surely this situation is not outwith their control?
    I must add it took me 9 months to get this information through the CAA who have been unable to persuade Continental to reconsider our claim. Next step - small claims court- what are our chances?
  • Unfortunately the letter does not say they think we are due compensation, it says they were unable to persuade Continental to reconsider the claim and suggested Smll Claims Court as a possible next step.
  • blondmarkblondmark Forumite
    456 Posts
    Unfortunately the letter does not say they think we are due compensation, it says they were unable to persuade Continental to reconsider the claim and suggested Smll Claims Court as a possible next step.

Agreed, you should sue Continental without delay. The airline suffered a routine technical difficulty inherent in the operation of any airline for which a defence of ECs would fail.
  • I've e mailed CAA again re recent rulings for their advice.
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've e mailed CAA again re recent rulings for their advice.

I'll be interested to hear what they say. But I predict nothing very useful: they won't give you any legal advice, that's for sure. What further advice are you hoping for?

I sense you're trying to get the compensation without taking the legal action. I understand why. But it's almost certainly a forlorn hope.
  • I couldn't get any information from Continental regarding our flight delay and subsequent cancellation. They kept fobbing me off with standard letters which never answered my questions. As soon as I contacted CAA Continental took notice. All I want is for CAA to advise me whether it's worth my while approaching Continental/United again before taking court action.
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    For the 8 hour delay, what was the airline that was operating the flight?
    If Excel I believe they have gone so no-one to claim from....plus as the flight was over 6 years ago, any airline could ignore you and there is no steps (eg court) that you could take
    Hi, I was on a travel city direct flight in September 2005 from Orlando to London gatwick which was delayed due to technical difficulties i Have been having difficulty seeing if we are able to claim. I was wondering if you had any joy. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals