MSE News: Take off for flight delay compensation

Replies

• J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    CHP47 wrote: »
    Thomas Cook seems to be playing hard ball with claims.The following might help:-
    1.Try the following website-http://!!!!!!!/u6wkpb

Firefox can't find the server at https://www.!!!!!!!.com. :(
    CHP47 wrote: »
    3.Log onto the Get Satisfaction website run by Thomas Cook and complain-

which is here ...
    http://www.thomascook.com/customer-relations
    which diverts to here
    https://tccustomerrelations.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new
  • Vauban wrote: »
    Have you written to Easyjet since October? If so, have you asked them why specifically they think that the Extraordinary Circumstances caveat applies? From others' posts, it looks like Easyjet are now beginning to pay out, post ECJ ruling. But if they don't shift their position, you only have two options: walk away, or litigate.

Thanks for reply - yes I have been writing every few days since October last and all I get back from Easy Jet are irrelevant rubbish replies from different people. I have actually been shunted around between nine different employees since May 2011. They just do not want to admit that the Spanish NEB awarded me the compensation and that their records are wrong. I really don't see why I should have to go to Court with attendant costs and stress when I have already been awarded the compensation. As you suggested, my latest e-mail of today asks the question you mention.
  • 111KAB wrote: »
    Are you sure the CAA are dealing with your delay in conjunction with Spanish NEB (Madrid)? The reason I ask that in my dealings with the CAA they have always indicated that they are duty bound not to 'interfere' as delays which occur from a EU airport must be commented on by the NEB located in the departure country. EJ will not have to pay the whole plane load - at worse they will have to pay out those pax who claim - there will be a considerable difference in numbers.
    Thanks for reply: The CAA have been very helpful and up front. They told me that they could not take on my complaint as they were precluded from ruling on any disruption on Spanish territory. Only the Spanish NEB can rule in these circumstances. All CAA have done is to forward all my correspondence since October last to the Spanish NEB and suggested I deal directly with the Spanish NEB. I did write to them 3 times last summer for clarification but received no reply. What I find confusing is if the CAA cannot rule in these circumstances, why can Easy Jet. A judgment has already been given and compensation awarded to me, so who is responsible for the actions of Easy Jet. I do not feel I should be required to go to Court with all its attendant costs and stress. Are Easy Jet breaking UK Law by keeping false records ?
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    amdrampam wrote: »
    Thanks for reply: The CAA have been very helpful and up front. They told me that they could not take on my complaint as they were precluded from ruling on any disruption on Spanish territory. Only the Spanish NEB can rule in these circumstances. All CAA have done is to forward all my correspondence since October last to the Spanish NEB and suggested I deal directly with the Spanish NEB. I did write to them 3 times last summer for clarification but received no reply. What I find confusing is if the CAA cannot rule in these circumstances, why can Easy Jet. A judgment has already been given and compensation awarded to me, so who is responsible for the actions of Easy Jet. I do not feel I should be required to go to Court with all its attendant costs and stress. Are Easy Jet breaking UK Law by keeping false records ?

Amdrampam: I fear that the Spanish NEB have no more power to issue a judgement or award compensation than the CAA can. They are not ombudsmen, with the ability to enforce decisions; they can simply offer an expert view.

If the airline won't play nicely, and you believe they are in breach of their legal obligations to you, then you have no option but to go to Court. As others have said (repeatedly) this is unlikely to be a simple letter writing exercise.

If all that sounds too stressful you could always turn the claim over to another company to handle on you behalf - at a cost to your overall compo, of course.

Good luck with whatever you do next.
  • verdusverdus Forumite
    9 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have been trying to claim for a 24 hour delay from VA for 2 years to no avail. We were told our flight had been cancelled and had info sheets and a letter with this on. We were put up in an airport hotel and flew out the next night. We were told casually by a VA rep at the airport that our flight was less than half full and the USA flight's plane had a fault and as that plane was full they had diverted our plane!
    In coorespondence VA denied this and said that we were not allowed compensation and that all claims under the 2004 EU rules were on hold until further notice. I did contact the CAA but also with no results. They do suggest court but I don't think I want to do this! I notice on MSE that since October 23rd the ruling has changed and that airlines now have to reconsider claims. Where next as VA do not answer my letters as they seem to have washed their hands of my claim?
    Thanking you in anticipation.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Looks like small claims court is then, or do you have legal expenses cover with an insurance policy?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • I have just - four or five emails - started complaining to easyJet to try to get a refund and compensation for a flight from Edinburgh to Nice in May that was delayed for five hours and 37 minutes. I had bought flights for my daughter to go for her mother's birthday - but when she (and several other intending guests) were stuck at Edinburgh we had to cancel the restaurant and do some quick thinking.

The passengers were told some equipment would not start and that the crew were going to try to "reboot the system" to see if it would kick in. No joy. So - long wait for a new plane and, of course, a new crew.

EasyJet say "This delay was necessary for technical reasons. This was an extraordinary circumstance that could not have been avoided, even if all reasonable measures had been taken."

It seems to me their maintenance procedures are not up to scratch - and the same goes for their backup planning.

Strangely, the customer services representative is the same person who originally misunderstood my complaint and now says that "after reviewing their assessment" they still reject my claim.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Would 'adequate back up planning' be 'reasonable measures'?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Have been finally rejected by Thomas Cook re compensation for 3-hour delay. I think I am going to skip their friends at CAA and go straight to the Small Claims Court.

Ignore this 'insurance' stuff - tour airlines treat us with contempt and if this legislation pulls them into line to taking more care then I'll pay a bit more on my ticket.
  • NikkitNikkit Forumite
    5 Posts
    Nikkit wrote: »
    I have tried to claim compensation for this June when we were delayed with Virgin nearly five hours. The delay was due to their computer system crashing and all Virgin flights were delayed. They have turned down that claim. Does anyone think that this is the airlines fault? They have said it wasn't! But it was their computer system.

I am also trying to claim for a flight with Travel City Direct in September 05 when we were over eight hours late due to (I think) problems with the plane meaning another one had to be acquired. I got in touch with TCD who said to contact Virgin BUT at the time of the flight TCD were part of Excel Airways who are no long in existence. Virgin have asked for more information than I have and want the flight number to begin with their flight info not TCD.

Any ideas where I should go now with this? Also if I am able to claim this flight back can I also claim for my father who has since passed away?

Many thanks. Nikki

Many thanks for the reply regarding my Dad just wondered if anyone had any ideas about claiming from the now defunct Travel City Direct?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals