MSE News: Take off for flight delay compensation

Replies

• Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nikkit wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply regarding my Dad just wondered if anyone had any ideas about claiming from the now defunct Travel City Direct?

For the 8 hour delay, what was the airline that was operating the flight?
    If Excel I believe they have gone so no-one to claim from....plus as the flight was over 6 years ago, any airline could ignore you and there is no steps (eg court) that you could take
  • NikkitNikkit Forumite
    5 Posts
    Travel city direct were operating the flight but I believe that excel were the parent company at the time, I understand they could ignore me but thought was worth a try!
  • i was on the return flight Bodrum Milas to Newcastle which was also delayed by nearly 5 hours coul someone please advise me how to claim as i no the latest EU ruling states you can claim upto 5 years previously
  • Hi, i'm fairly new to the site, but do receive the weekly newsletter, which was a reminder for the compensation for delays of flights by more than 3 hours.
    This summer, precisely 27th August, me and my partner were flying to Kiev from LGW with Aerosvit airlines. Our flight was delayed by approximately 3 hours, but I'm not certain as to how to check, but definitely more than 3 hours. There wasn't much information at the time in the airport and the staff wouldn't give us or any other passengers any information about the delay. When we did eventually take off, it was horrible and the flight itself was meant to arrive at 19:35 by their time (17:35 UK) but we had to stop in Germany to 'refuel' and eventually after a very exhausting flight arrived past midnight and weren't given our luggage until around 1:30 am. I have retained the email confirmation of booking of the flights. I am not certain if I am entitled, as I am very new and have never had this kind of an issue with an airline nor have i claimed compensation. could you please advise me as to what to do. thank you in advance.
  • Confused - the example taken from the news item relating to this subject suggests that compensation was received where the delay was due to a technical problem that was being fixed by engineers. The guidance states the Airline is not at fault where the delay is due to safety issues - how do you determine what is a safety issue or a technical fault? are they not the same?

I had my claim refused stating that the 'aircraft returned to the gate due to LH hydraulic quantity decreasing'

£480 each from British Airways
    Here's how Denise (full identity withheld) did it:
    • She contacted BA in October this year for a flight from London to Miami just over three years ago, using the customer services form on BA's website after hearing from MoneySavingExpert.com that passengers could claim for flight delays.
    • Denise was told at the time there was a technical problem with the plane, which engineers were going to fix. But a replacement plane had to be chartered, resulting in a delay of just over four hours.
    • BA took roughly six weeks to reply to her claim. When it did, it said the claim would be upheld and a cheque for £970 – as the compensation was for two passengers – would be posted, which she got earlier this month.
    Denise says: "Just got a cheque for £970 from BA for delays in 2009 thanks to you telling me about new legislation! More than I actually paid!"
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Have a bit of a good read of the FAQs.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I was on the flight from Glasgow to Bourgas on the 23 July 2007 and was delayed over 24 hours. Can anyone tell me how I can find the flight number etc. I thought I was booked through Thomas Cook but they have said that I did not have a booking with them that day. Direct Holidays is the other one i use but they can't give me any information as it may have been a Monarch flight or a Thomson flight. Any idea how I find out which flight i was on? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • jeidjeid Forumite
    1 Post
    Are we entitled to compensation
    I`ve just seen tonight`s programme

My situation is slightly different as back in 2008 whilst on a holiday to Majorca the airline chartered by Thomson`s went bust (Futura airline)
    We were then delayed by approximately 24hrs, and they put us up back in our hotel for another night. no expense

Can we apply for compensation for being delayed 24hrs until they chartered another airline
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Martin said a few times 'not the airline's fault' did you miss that bit?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jeid wrote: »
    Are we entitled to compensation
    I`ve just seen tonight`s programme

My situation is slightly different as back in 2008 whilst on a holiday to Majorca the airline chartered by Thomson`s went bust (Futura airline)
    We were then delayed by approximately 24hrs, and they put us up back in our hotel for another night. no expense

Can we apply for compensation for being delayed 24hrs until they chartered another airline

It's not the travel agents who are liable. It's the airline. And yours went bust, unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals