MSE News: Take off for flight delay compensation

Replies

• coupstacoupsta Forumite
    34 Posts
    Hi,
    Thomson Fly who now no longer exist have not acknowledged my letter or claim for a delay from Pisa to Doncaster/Sheffield. I sent my letter to Thomson hq at Luton. Based on the ruling I'm definitely due compensation flight delay checks out etc etc. Any advice on how to proceed from anyone gratefully received.

Regards
    Dave
    'Crime can't crack itself'
  • After 6 years of hitting our collective heads against a brick wall, we have finally been offered 500 euros compensation. We have accepted, although our original claim was for £900.00, this included tickets for a rugby game in Toulouse, hotel rooms, and restaurant booking. We can never go back to our son's 18th birthday, this was to be his present, but this, at least goes someway towards compensating my husband.
    Well done!

I was stranded by Easyjet in Paris in March 2006; all the passengers were taken airside on a bus to the plane, held in transit for 30 mins or so and then brought back into the terminal. It was obvious to us all that we'd been bumped off the flight to London that was now being redirected to another destination in France, as whilst in the terminal we'd all witnessed a serious passenger commotion and then a sudden cheer followed by crowd movement as we were waiting for the flight. Easyjet however denied this and said it was due to a French air traffic control strike (true enough, but if this was the case surely they wouldn't have allowed us to check in?). The upshot is we collected our luggage, took a cab back from Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord at 1am, spend the next few hours in an all-night cafe and started queuing for Eurostar tickets back to London at 4.30am in the freezing cold. My claim for compensation was refused because Easyjet said this was due to factors beyond their control - we were offered the money back, or the next alternative flight out (the cancelled flight was a Thursday evening, and the next was not until Saturday morning) with no accommodation / subsistence. Most of us couldn't wait and headed back early the next morning.

I was clearing out some old paperwork just the other day - I retained this record though! Is it worth pursuing?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • You can safely throw out your paperwork as your claim is now time barred, the limit being 6 years.
    According to the article:
    Can you claim?
    To get a refund for a delayed flight there are a number of criteria which have to be met, primarily:
    • The flight arrived at its destination three hours or more late.
    • The flight departed on 17 February 2005 or later.
    • The flight departed from an EU airport, regardless of the airline, OR was on an EU airline and landed at an EU airport.
    • The delay was the airline's fault, eg, the pilot was sick and not replaced or the flight was cancelled due to underbooking. Bad weather, industrial action and political problems don't count.
    The issue for me is about Easyjet using the industrial action as an excuse to bump a planeful of people off a flight.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can indeed claim from 2005 but if the airline choose to ignore you there is nothing you can do about it as you only can go back 6 years to take them to court, so unless they will send you the compensation without question (unlikely as they know there is nothing you can do about it!) it is not worth the hassle
  • NOWSENOWSE Forumite
    385 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    cubegame wrote: »
    Of course, if true.....(and I take any MSE news headline with an unhealthy lump of salt)......MSE has just helped kill cheap airfares.

MSE is not the only outlet advising people of their rights in this respect. There was a piece about it in the Times at weekend.

Presuamably you wouldn't want any consumer rights as they push up the price of everything?
  • Kate49Kate49 Forumite
    10 Posts
    I applied to BA after being delayed 5hrs and missing my ongoing connection and having to stay at an over priced hotel at Heathrow. I have heard nothing in reply to my letter and despite two emails of complaint that I have heard nothing. Still nothing!
  • I have been trying to get compensation on a flight from Murcia to Bristol on the 31st May, 2011 but they keep knocking me back. We were delayed 16.1/2 hours. I have contacted the CAA who sent my complaint to the Spanish NEB - AESA. They replied in March 2012 that I was due to E 400. Easy jet records showed there were Extraordinary circumstances attached to this flight - so no compensation - AESA said NO Extraordinary Circumstances so I was due compensation. Easy Jet's records are obviously wrong and were not altered when AESA awarded me the compensation. I am still writing to them but they just keep coming back with other feeble invalid excuses. My complaint has just been sent to the Spanish NEB again by the CAA, and I am awaiting their reply. I think the problem is that if they award me compensation they will have to pay the whole plane load which could amount to around £ 40,000 so this is why they are fighting me.
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    amdrampam wrote: »
    I have been trying to get compensation on a flight from Murcia to Bristol on the 31st May, 2011 but they keep knocking me back. We were delayed 16.1/2 hours. I have contacted the CAA who sent my complaint to the Spanish NEB - AESA. They replied in March 2012 that I was due to E 400. Easy jet records showed there were Extraordinary circumstances attached to this flight - so no compensation - AESA said NO Extraordinary Circumstances so I was due compensation. Easy Jet's records are obviously wrong and were not altered when AESA awarded me the compensation. I am still writing to them but they just keep coming back with other feeble invalid excuses. My complaint has just been sent to the Spanish NEB again by the CAA, and I am awaiting their reply. I think the problem is that if they award me compensation they will have to pay the whole plane load which could amount to around £ 40,000 so this is why they are fighting me.

Have you written to Easyjet since October? If so, have you asked them why specifically they think that the Extraordinary Circumstances caveat applies? From others' posts, it looks like Easyjet are now beginning to pay out, post ECJ ruling. But if they don't shift their position, you only have two options: walk away, or litigate.
  • 111KAB111KAB Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    amdrampam wrote: »
    I have been trying to get compensation on a flight from Murcia to Bristol on the 31st May, 2011 but they keep knocking me back. We were delayed 16.1/2 hours. I have contacted the CAA who sent my complaint to the Spanish NEB - AESA. They replied in March 2012 that I was due to E 400. Easy jet records showed there were Extraordinary circumstances attached to this flight - so no compensation - AESA said NO Extraordinary Circumstances so I was due compensation. Easy Jet's records are obviously wrong and were not altered when AESA awarded me the compensation. I am still writing to them but they just keep coming back with other feeble invalid excuses. My complaint has just been sent to the Spanish NEB again by the CAA, and I am awaiting their reply. I think the problem is that if they award me compensation they will have to pay the whole plane load which could amount to around £ 40,000 so this is why they are fighting me.

Are you sure the CAA are dealing with your delay in conjunction with Spanish NEB (Madrid)? The reason I ask that in my dealings with the CAA they have always indicated that they are duty bound not to 'interfere' as delays which occur from a EU airport must be commented on by the NEB located in the departure country. EJ will not have to pay the whole plane load - at worse they will have to pay out those pax who claim - there will be a considerable difference in numbers.
  • CHP47CHP47 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Thomas Cook seems to be playing hard ball with claims.The following might help:-

1.Try the following website-http://!!!!!!!/u6wkpb

2.Write a complaint letter to the CEO be sure to mark your letter COMPLAINT and PRIVATE and CONFIDENTIAL

3.Log onto the Get Satisfaction website run by Thomas Cook and complain- they will reply and take it from there- in the unlikely event they don't keep complaining

Be a nuisance and don't give up- they will always try and put you off

Hope this helps
    CHP47
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals