Facing Other Halfs

Options
I faced my other half about a month ago and was worried about losing her but she is helping me through the mess that I created, is anybody out there afraid of telling their partners?

It is always a personal decision but will help anybody that needs it
22/07/07 Debt - Tesco 17644 (6.1%) - Now 10500
hsbc - 2000 - now 0 (12.9%) :T
Halifax - 3500 now o(0%) :T
Barclays - 1500 - now 0 (5.5%) :T
==================================
Cleared 6th July 2010

Comments

• danielleindebt
    Options
    I faced my partner about a month ago too. i was so glad when i did. he wasnt best pleaed but is helping me sort it out. i had been hiding it for 2 1/2 years.
  • ThankYouAndEnjoy!
    Options
    Hello southwester

Noticed in your sig you are 'saving' toward a 0% credit card debt. When does this card expire on its 0% deal and what APR will it return to?
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - 1420 Days To Go!
    LBM: £103,592.98 / Currently £78,500.08 - Down 24.22% / Mortgage: £92,800.00 / Loan: £17,284.21 / Overdraft: £450.09 / C/Card 0%(October 08): £5,601.54 / C/Card 0% (January 09): £1075.22 / Child Care: £137.80
    Share Investments: £51,390.74 / Money Owed From GS: £5,812.61
  • southwester_2
    Options
    Hi

It finishess on December 1st, doing part time job to pay it off, am paying £65.00 a month direct debit to it as well, it then goes to 15.9%. By December I should have enough saving sto pay that off and the HSBC loan
    Cleared 6th July 2010
  • southwester_2
    Options
    Well done Danielle, It almost immediately took a lot of pressure of me and although it wasnt nice an the couple of weeks after were terrible, I think we are working through it
    Cleared 6th July 2010
  • hannahsmummy1
    Options
    I have yet to face my hubby about my debts- im dreading it though- i have kept it a secret so far- for just coming up to a year- its hard work, but he is really strict with me & if i do ever try and talk to him about anything he goes off on one. I feel really scared that he will leave me & our daughter and that scares me because i love him. I havent done this to deceive him, and i have tried to tell him, but when i remember what he is like i feel bad to tell him. He has an impeccable credit record, has a really good job with a brilliant salary, has one cc with a limit of 8k but only ever uses a few hundred and pays it off in time, has 22k sitting in his current account- and he says he has to stop over spending!
    Now im debt free i want to be fat free too!
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    £22k in his current account?! Can't he put it in an ISA or something?! It's wasted where it is and the interest alone would prob help you pay yours off ;)

C xx
  • hannahsmummy1
    Options
    thats the sickener- that he has all that money there! He is supposed to be looking at putting it in an ISA!
    Now im debt free i want to be fat free too!
  • danielleindebt
    Options
    hannahs mummy1 - if you told him would he give you the money or would he expect you to sort it out yourself?

i ask because my oh has a few hundred in his bank (was a few k but lost his job and lived of the savings for a few months) he hasnt offered to help financially except actually putting money into the food fund. (he acts like he is still at home and expects things to be in the fridge)
  • SortingIt_2
    SortingIt_2 Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Wanted to post on this one to bump it up as think it is a very important topic. Secrets are not good in relationships (especially those re debt) I only told my OH just over a week or so ago (hv over 60K debt in my name) and although it was the scary and I was scared of his reaction, the sheer releif of not having to keep it a secret any longer made a huge difference to me.

Thankfully he has been amazing (we should give them more credit) and we now have a month by month plan and dates set to sit down and look at my progress. He also sat down and went through his finances too (although not in huge debt) but thought it was only fair that I knew everything about his too and that he looked at ways of saving and cutting back.

Although it was tough and very hard to do I feel like a different person now and far more positive than I have ever been about clearing the mountain of debt before me - for anyone who hasn't done it and wants to, I would say build up the courage and do it, just for the difference it makes in yourself (i know easiers said than done and every situation is different) I have slept better since and don't wake up with that horrible cloud over my head or the thought of money/debt as soon as I wake up.

Anyway will stop yapping now, just thought I would post a positive comment about telling OH!
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i cant really offer any advice but would like to say (and not be seen to be judging/putting down anyone) i have sympathy for you all and am ever grateful that i have the partner that i have ..good luck in dealing with your debts which ever way you choose to do so
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure