Options

Comments

• Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Just signed up for a trial.

I received my card today and it expires at the end of July if I return it to them by then.
  • SteveyJC
    SteveyJC Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Couple of questions:

Are the cards scanned by the restaurant / made a note of?

Are they physically scratched or just with a marker pen?

Thanks
    if i had known then what i know now
  • avoniel
    avoniel Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cards are marked with a pen. Never seen them take a note of it or scanning.
  • Lindsay-Lou
    Lindsay-Lou Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    bbsmom wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

am sure your wife will be thrilled to know what you really think of her friends:D:D - if she reads this you will have to take her out for a meal using your card and that'll increase your total even more:D :D

I phoned them to ask if I subscribed would my husband be able to use it independently of me and i was told that he would. Though we've not had cause to test it out.

Have to say we got stung by the saturday restrictions - didn't notice them in the book as i was primarily referring to the website and i didn't know about the single use per restaurant policy at all. However, even at full price a couple of 'treats' out per year at the more expensive restaurants and the card will pay for itself.

another point worth knowing (and not something i've seen in the book or on the site) is that one place we went to said he would be within his rights to decline the use of the card 'cause we hadn't mentioned it BEFORE ordering.
  • bbsmom
    bbsmom Posts: 402 Forumite
    Options
    another point worth knowing (and not something i've seen in the book or on the site) is that one place we went to said he would be within his rights to decline the use of the card 'cause we hadn't mentioned it BEFORE ordering.

No it does mention this in the book. You should phone to book table and mention Hi-Life and also to you waiter when ordering.
  • Thriftylady
    Thriftylady Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    do the waiters try to make a scene if you use one of these discount cards?

I was put off using buy one get one free vouchers in restuarants about ten years ago when some friends had a nasty experience in a restuarant. We were students at the time, very skint and couldn't afford to eat out, so it was meant to be a real treat. My friend and her boyfriend went to the restuarant, mentioned the vouchers when they booked their table and were treated to an evening of eye rolling, comments about being too cheap to pay for their meal, and loud comments from the waiters so that other diners could hear - e.g. one waiter calling to another 'is this for the table who is using the voucher ?' . They found it really embarassing, and it put me right off! (Needless to say, none of us ever went near the place again, even when we could afford to pay full price. It has since closed down!).
  • avoniel
    avoniel Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never had any problem using it - on the contary I have found all restaurants to be more than friendly.

My wife got free 2 month trial card which we are using at the minute.
    Last night we went to the Whitefort Belfast and I mentioned using the card. Not only were we told "no problem" but staff also suggested we order starters and desert as well as we would get one each of these free. We agreed about the starter but these and the mains were so huge portions we could not manage a sweet. Staff were so friendly and asked if we could recommend to others which I certainly would.

Incidently not only did we get 241 but they also do Beat the Clock Mon-Fri 5pm to 7pm so our mains were only charged @ £5.75 as we ordered at 5:45pm.
    Son had Fish fingers and chips and ice cream and we had 2 soft drinks total bill £17.80 with a saving of £10.40 for hi Life card.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    me and my wife have one of these for the north west area and i can gladly say that it has been a bargain and has opened our eyes to some places we never have thought of going to due to price.
    as i live in dubai and am only back in uk for 3 weeks every 6/7 weeks we had mr & mrs lowe put on the card not just my name so therefore the wife can use it while am away.

as some people have pointed out sometimes we have been to places where they havent marked their box of on the back of card and therefore we have been to these places more than once

one of these is the heart and soul resturant in liverpool, we would never have found out about it if it wasnt for the book of resturants we got delivered with the card and now its on of our favourites https://www.heartandsoulrestaurant.co.uk
    a meal for two without the card is average 60 quid with drinks but twice its only cost us around 30 quid

tony

damn havent been heart and soul since before xmas due to being working in vietnam and i have just found out it has closed doh
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Aliss
    Aliss Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    I highly recommend Hi-Life if you live in a good area. Manchester (where I was a student and postgrad!) was great. The book you get when you sign up tells you if you need to reserve/phone first but for my favourite places eg. Wagamama you could just turn up and mention you had a card. I never, in 3 years, had anyone make a fuss.

They draw a line across the (tiny!) numbered box on the back of your card in biro and it IS very easily removed! Yet I went back three weeks in a row- I don't think the staff really care!

It's not for everyone but if you eat out at medium-level places a lot (as opposed to being a gourmet or a eat-out-once-a-month person), as I was in my first year of employment, it can save you money. Just check your city/area first to make sure you like the places on offer and also check whether you need to book first because it does take some of the bonus out having to phone a week beforehand!

Edit: As long as they don't pay by credit card you can lend your Hi-Life card to your friends because nobody checks your name.
    Aiming to pay off mortgage by my 30th birthday... £39438 to go!

"Had a documentary made about me" non-clique No.1, PM me to be added!
  • bbsmom
    bbsmom Posts: 402 Forumite
    Options
    jmcateer wrote: »

Tried this on the free 2-month trial quoted above. Used it for the 3rd time last night in Brownes bar and grill, Boucher Rd. Fabulous food, and managed to save £8.95 on hubbys pasta dish with the hi-life card.

Brings to a total of almost £30 savings in 3 uses.

Think I'll be keeping the card!!!

Thanks jmcateer for the tip-off

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills