Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Peepsi
    Options
    Hello again wealdroam. Sorry for my slow response. I haven't had access to the internet recently. Anyway, you asked:
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Well you told us earlier:

So why are you now saying you were expecting to pay, but earlier you were surprised to get a bill?

I apologise if I have not been clear but I don't think I said I was expecting to pay anything - I only said that I knew I would be liable for taxes if there were any (of course I didn't think there would be as I mentioned in my first post)
    wealdroam wrote:

Isn't that an itemised list of the costs? £nn taxes, plus £15 handling fee.
    Some countries' tax raising organisations do leave a little to be desired.
    I assume there was a total amount mentioned, otherwise you would have surely mentioned that there was no amount requested.

To clarify - I received 2 different demands - the first from TNT Guatemala for 'IMPUESTOS' and then the second one from TNT UK which included 'taxes and duties' and an admin fee - the latter demand was for approximately £15 more.

Anyway, TNT UK made it clear I had had no choice but to pay the latter demand if I wanted to recieve the package. And so I paid ......and then..... the package didnt arrive at the stated delivery address ( after 3 working days plus weekend)

Incidentally, today, I received an email from TNT Guatemala stating the following:

"The package will be delivered as soon as possible and you will not have to pay taxes for it
    so please provide to us the right address and phone number to release it."

Of course I emailed back - including the address I provided originally along with phone number. Now waiting on the package.

Still not to sure if:
    1) I shouldn't have had to pay anything since first demand was incorrect (as I mentioned I didn't think I should be paying any imort taxes or duties).
    2) I am getting let off the charge by TNT because the experience I have had in trying to recieve my phone has been poor.
    3) TNT have miscommunicated with me again and TNT UK and TNT Guatemala have told me conflicting information again.
    4)........

I'm going to wait to see if my phone arrives and then get on to TNT UK to clarify what is going on with regards to the charges.
  • kelpie99
    kelpie99 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I've just received an email from parcel2go demanding £42.50 stating:

"We are just writing to let you know that Parcelforce have informed us that the weight/dimensions of your parcel(s) were higher than you stated when booking and there was an issue with the way the parcel was packaged . The courier will therefore charge Parcel2Go an additional £42.50 for the delivery of your parcel."

Parcelforce delivered the parcel late and damaged, so already, I'm not too happy. Asking for three times the amount paid for unknown and unproven errors seems to be laughable already, but I always round up when sending parcels to avoid this exact same situation so I can't help but feel that at best it's an error, and at worst a scam as I've read from others' who've had similar experiences with parcel2go demanding money for apparently over-weight items that are in fact within stated dimensions and weights.

Can they enforce this request and given Parcel2Go's notoriously bad customer service, how do I prove that my parcel was as declared?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kelpie99 wrote: »
    I've just received an email from parcel2go demanding £42.50 stating:

"We are just writing to let you know that Parcelforce have informed us that the weight/dimensions of your parcel(s) were higher than you stated when booking and there was an issue with the way the parcel was packaged . The courier will therefore charge Parcel2Go an additional £42.50 for the delivery of your parcel."

Parcelforce delivered the parcel late and damaged, so already, I'm not too happy. Asking for three times the amount paid for unknown and unproven errors seems to be laughable already, but I always round up when sending parcels to avoid this exact same situation so I can't help but feel that at best it's an error, and at worst a scam as I've read from others' who've had similar experiences with parcel2go demanding money for apparently over-weight items that are in fact within stated dimensions and weights.

Can they enforce this request and given Parcel2Go's notoriously bad customer service, how do I prove that my parcel was as declared?

Well late & damaged.
    Could this tie in with an oversized and badly packaged item?
  • kelpie99
    Options
    You're making two prejudicial assumptions without basis.

The object (a bicycle) was packed in an industry-specific and to-standard box for that exact item. I've shipped many in my time and know how to pack them and to the required dimensions to avoid oversized item surcharges.

On my box you can actually see a foot-shaped hole going into and puncturing the box. I would suggest therefore that unless kicking a box is standard quality checking procedure at Parcelforce that it has not been handled properly, wouldn't you?

Regardless, it was delivered out with their own stated delivery time by over 24 hours. If you automatically attribute both the damage and the lateness to my box being insufficiently strong and too large then they really should not accept them at drop-off, shouldn't they?
  • custardy
    Options
    So your packaging consisted of a cardboard box. Gotcha.
  • kelpie99
    Options
    A double-walled, bicycle-specific one used by manufacturers, yes.

Care to share something you know about that or are you just going to be wilfully obtuse out of habit or principle?
  • kelpie99
    Options
    If anyone else has something pertinent to add to my original enquiry that would be very welcome.
  • custardy
    Options
    kelpie99 wrote: »
    A double-walled, bicycle-specific one used by manufacturers, yes.

Care to share something you know about that or are you just going to be wilfully obtuse out of habit or principle?

You never really answered my first question.
    Simply jumped on the offensive.
    I have sent many bikes. I dont class a standard bike box as anything near robust.
  • kelpie99
    edited 11 March 2016 at 11:38PM
    Options
    Your question gives every impression of being rhetorical.

So your 'question' was in fact a statement that the invoice I'd received was tied in with a badly packed and over-sized parcel, and I responded in kind.

It doesn't relate to my original enquiry, and I see no reason to keep entertaining some contrary crank on the internet, so I'll thank you to keep your opinions to yourself.
  • andersonchenghy
    Options
    Looking to send some shoes to Hong Kong
    the shoes are around 100gbp
    and dimensions roughly about 35cm x 25cm x 15cm
    Can somone suggests me whats the cheapest and best way to do so ?
    And are parcel monkey any good ?
    Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport