Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Ash_Pole
    Ash_Pole Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm selling a larger item than usual on ebay. It weighs 2.7kg, the postage costs calculator tells me the cheapest is collectplus followed by Parcelforce 48.

Is collectplus a good option? And sorry for sounding a bit naive, but do I just take the parcel to the post office for Parcelforce?

Thanks!
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends on the value and the item. Collect Plus and My Hermes (who may be cheaper) allow you to drop off at one of their drop off point, they are normally in local shops and garages. If you want it collected from your house them My Hermes will collect if for a little extra. Both My Hermes and Collect Plus are good but you need to make sure the parcel is very well packaged to avoid any damage. If you want collection you should also consider ipostparcels
  • asc1991
    asc1991 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hermes parcel shop works out cheaper if you buy it through parcel2go.

It's £2.59 (inc. VAT) for a parcel under 1kg. But would love to know if someone can beat that price?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    asc1991 wrote: »
    Hermes parcel shop works out cheaper if you buy it through parcel2go.

It's £2.59 (inc. VAT) for a parcel under 1kg. But would love to know if someone can beat that price?

Be warned though that the £2.59 service has no insurance at all and if you have problems you have to deal with Parcel2Go and not Myhermes direct. For 11p more you can go directly through Myhermes and get £20 of cover .*

*as usual check exclusions
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • asc1991
    asc1991 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting - good shout.

Perhaps I'll look to hermes directly especially for the more expensive items. I'll just chuck 13p extra onto my ebay postal fees to cover it!!
  • Campden
    Campden Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a courier for a parcel to go to Sweden
    Weighing under 2 kilograms
    85 by 25 by 10 centimetres.

Thank you

c
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Campden wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a courier for a parcel to go to Sweden
    Weighing under 2 kilograms
    85 by 25 by 10 centimetres.

Thank you

c
    It's too long for Royal Mail which would normally be best for such a light weight. Parcel2go would want about £20+VAT. There will be extra to pay for insurance if it has a high value, but look carefully to see if it is covered at all - most companies have lots of exclusions.
  • J1236
    J1236 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum, hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm in the UK, I've recently started an online clothing company and I anticipate most of my sales to come from the US. I've set up dropshipping for some of my products but I've seen some hats (snapbacks/baseball caps & beanies) that I want to import and sell on the store.

Do you think it would be feasible to ship them individually to customers in the US?
    Approximately how much do you think it would cost? I'm finding figures that are all over the place so I'm a bit confused.

Would it be better to import them direct to some sort of shipping fulfilment company in the US do you think?
  • Teza511
    Teza511 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    parcel I'd sent through Parcel2go got damaged must have backed into it with a van or forklift truck as it was a very heavy duty item. To cut the story short I keep trying to get this resolved & claim for the damaged goods I paid extra for the insurance. This has been going on since March 2016 it's now 18th May 2016 & still not sorted out I'm over £100 out of pocket! The online chat people say they can't do anything to help & tell me I have to email all supporting documents, pictures etc I've done this Still no response from them I've done this 5 times. No telephone number for this company either shocking really keep giving me the runaround. I wouldn't use parcel2go again for sure.
  • hogshead
    hogshead Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    I need to return a fishing pole.
    Dimensions of packaged parcel are 125cm X 18cm X 8cm.
    Any ideas please?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure