Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• ecokestove
    Options
    I'm new to this, so hope I've got the right place.

I used Parcel Monkey to buy a collect and deliver service from ParcelForce. Item was a large A3 Canon inkjet printer. It was damaged during shipment.

Their terms and conditions state: 'All claims for loss or damage to your goods need to be made within (5) working days from the scheduled date of delivery and then we must receive full details of the actual claim within (10) working days from the scheduled date of delivery.'

The item was delivered on 12th January. I made my claim on 15th January, within their 5 day term. They did not respond to my claim until 24th Jan, and then only because I prompted them. Thus, the ten days had already expired owing to their inefficiency (or perhaps a deliberate delaying tactic).

Their late response invited me to complete an online claim form within 7 days. The process of completing this asked me to get an estimate for repair. Shipping the printer to an authorised repair centre and getting a quote meant that more than 7 days had passed. Incidentally, the partly completed claim form has disappeared - at least to my view.

Claim refused - out of time.

Dealing with the support centre is like being trapped in a Kafkaesque novel. A very slippery bunch in my opinion.

It looks like I'll have to start a 'Small Claims' process.

Anyone had similar trouble with them wriggling out of a claim?
  • diabolik
    Options
    My experience with PARCEL 2 GO is an absolute nightmare ...

I picked a service which I thought was adequate for delivering an item which was quite large in size at:

160 cm X 15 cm X 10 cm and weighed around 3 Kg (7 lbs)

The parcel was picked up on the 25th of January. On the 26th of january I noticed that the traking information had "Please Call" against it. I attempted to call the number for Parcel 2 Go but got the message service. The message service pointed me to the on line chat service. I established a chat with the rep and I was told that they would investigate andget back to me.

I did not get an email or a call back on the 28th so again I attempted to call Parcel 2 Go. Parcel 2 Go only provide a chat service and nothing more so again I raised the issue via chat and again I was promissed a call back within two days, nothing at all was ever received just a sorry here and there but nothing.

I attempted to call TNT (the courrier). They refused to investigate the problem stating that they could not talk to me. Their relationship was with Parcel2Go and would not even look at the matter. They did state that there was a problem but nothing more.

Out of fustration, i posted on P2G facebook page. It kind of surred some action by P2G. Initially I was poinjted to a private PM. I stressed how disappointed I was with the service and the fact that I had been promissed call back and never ever got any. I also asked how a 5 foot parcel containinga propeller could possibly be lost. My messages on facebook were not answered. The whole conversation was deleted by P2G.

Eventually a claims advisor was assigned to my case. Although he was helpfull, the package and any info pertaining to what had gone on was never made clear. I am due some compensation which will notcover my cost which I was promissed but have not yet received.

I am thouroghly disappointed with P2G. The reasons are as follows:

1. no way to speak to a human regarding a failed delivery (excuse is that apparently customers do not want to use telephones (by liam and P2G))
    2. very slow to react to issues reported
    3. no valid telephone number is published
    4. posts that they dont like are removed from facebook, twitter and other social websites
    5. they prohibit courrier firms from talking to customers

All in all, a pretty dire experience and there is little that I can commend about the service I received.

Shame on you Parcel 2 Go. From now on, you shall be known as Parcel 2 Go Missing or Astray ...
  • Peepsi
    Peepsi Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Recently tried to send a parcel from the UK to Guatemala. Although I haven't posted on the forum before, since I consult it I thought I would share my experience.

I needed to send a mobile phone (which I owned) to myself in Guatemala. I used TNT direct (UK) based on reputation and because the estimated delivery time was 2-3 days and I wanted the phone quickly.

Initially everything went reasonably smoothly. Although the labels weren't produced correctly, after I contacted customer services they were emailed to me. Package was collected and reached Guatemala City. I then received an email (written in Spanish) from TNT Guatemala demanding a payment for 'IMPUESTOS' (which needed to be paid by cheque). Since I already owned the phone I wasn't expecting to have to pay any charges so I requested breakdown of the charges.

2 days later I received an email from TNT UK - this time demanding payment of 'taxes and duties' of equivalent value to the previously requested 'IMPUESTOS' plus an additional £15 admin fee. I also noted that the online tracker had been incorrectly updated to state 'Receiver Refused Delivery. Awaiting Instructions From Sender?' When I had only requested information about the charges.

In a follow up email I stated I was hoping for a breakdown of the original charges - not merely an email containing an increased payment demand and breakdown which contained only 'taxes and duties' and 'admin fee'. I questioned why I was being given a second increased payment demand. I also requested that the updated tracker be explained.

I received a prompt response but one which only responded to part of my email - I was told that TNT could not give any further breakdown of charges. The other points of my email - 1) request for explanation of increased payment demand and 2) request for explanation of the tracker update - were ignored. I proceeded to request a response to both of these points.

Current status - the saga continues -still haven't got my phone - 1 week after I should have received it. Still awaiting response from TNT to my last email.

Take home message for forum readers - Would have to advise against using TNT direct if you want to receive reasonable responses to questions you might have or not be held to ransom with increased payment demands which may be made on a whim without explanation.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Peepsi wrote: »
    Recently tried to send a parcel from the UK to Guatemala. Although I haven't posted on the forum before, since I consult it I thought I would share my experience.

I needed to send a mobile phone (which I owned) to myself in Guatemala. I used TNT direct (UK) based on reputation and because the estimated delivery time was 2-3 days and I wanted the phone quickly.

<snip>
    Peepsi, do you realise that whether you own the goods or not, as the importer you are responsible for any import taxes and duties that are levied by the Guatemalan government?

You are also responsible for the carrier's administration charge associated with that.
  • Peepsi
    Peepsi Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Peepsi, do you realise that whether you own the goods or not, as the importer you are responsible for any import taxes and duties that are levied by the Guatemalan government?

You are also responsible for the carrier's administration charge associated with that.

Hi wealdroam and thanks for your response.

I was actually aware that I would be responsible for taxes and duties if there were any - I only questioned it because there was no evidence of how the charge was calculated - it was just a number and I assumed he charge must have been calculated in someway. I just requested more information from TNT but instead all I got was another (increased) payment demand - which of course I was quite suprised by!

I have now actually received another response from TNT -one which denied that I have been given differing payment demands and which threatened abandonment of package if I didn't pay the higher amount. As i'm sure you can imagine, I was a little taken aback by this since I have emails containing the differing payment demands.
  • jackieq
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this forum so apologies if this message is in the wrong place.

I want to send some stuff to Ireland from UK. Total weight is about 8kg. I couldn't get one box big enough to take everything, so have put the contents into two boxes. Is this going to cost me more? If so, if I tape the two boxes together to make one big parcel, will that bring the cost back down?

Thanks
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jackieq wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to this forum so apologies if this message is in the wrong place.

I want to send some stuff to Ireland from UK. Total weight is about 8kg. I couldn't get one box big enough to take everything, so have put the contents into two boxes. Is this going to cost me more? If so, if I tape the two boxes together to make one big parcel, will that bring the cost back down?

Thanks

You havent given the dimensions or value.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was actually aware that I would be responsible for taxes and duties if there were any - I only questioned it because there was no evidence of how the charge was calculated - it was just a number and I assumed he charge must have been calculated in someway. I just requested more information from TNT but instead all I got was another (increased) payment demand - which of course I was quite suprised by!

I have now actually received another response from TNT -one which denied that I have been given differing payment demands and which threatened abandonment of package if I didn't pay the higher amount. As i'm sure you can imagine, I was a little taken aback by this since I have emails containing the differing payment demands.
    Well you told us earlier:
    Package was collected and reached Guatemala City. I then received an email (written in Spanish) from TNT Guatemala demanding a payment for 'IMPUESTOS' (which needed to be paid by cheque). Since I already owned the phone I wasn't expecting to have to pay any charges so I requested breakdown of the charges.
    So why are you now saying you were expecting to pay, but earlier you were surprised to get a bill?

2 days later I received an email from TNT UK - this time demanding payment of 'taxes and duties' of equivalent value to the previously requested 'IMPUESTOS' plus an additional £15 admin fee.
    Isn't that an itemised list of the costs? £nn taxes, plus £15 handling fee.
    Some countries' tax raising organisations do leave a little to be desired.
    I assume there was a total amount mentioned, otherwise you would have surely mentioned that there was no amount requested.
  • jackieq
    Options
    The first parcel is 50 x 33 x 50 cm and weighs about 5kg.

The second parcel is 40 x 31 x 30 cm and weighs about 2kg.

Thanks
  • staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like clickandsendparcel.com who were a good UPS agent have gone bump :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback