The 'Save 12k in 2013' Thread!

Options

Comments

• matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Put me down for £7k. If I get a payrise this year I'll look at this again!
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Canucksfan
    Canucksfan Posts: 169 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya MoneyWorry - Welcome! :j
    Lippy, enjoy the handbag!
    Thrifty, hope you have recovered from your car accident...scary.
    Lula, hope you dodge the redundancy bullet.
    Well another month is nearly at an end. My maternity leave is going far too fast. I keep thinking that I should treasure every minute of DS babyhood, as this is the last baby, but the time just zooms by.

I have managed to save $1000 this month, but boy it's been tricky. All it takes is one birthday and BOOM! there goes my budget! I have given up on Weightwatchers - I was putting on weight for the last couple of weeks and was fed up seeing the $50 come out of my account. :p I am taking the dog for lots of walks and trying to mentally will the fat to melt off - ha! :D

I have cleaned out and tried to tart up our spare room downstairs. Luckily I telephoned the Host Family Agency we have used in the past before splashing out on a new bed mattress, only to be told that there aren't many students coming over here to learn English at the moment - the bloomin' Economy problems are spreading all over the world...not good!
    So now we are looking at offering B&B - may trial it for a couple of months and then go back to the Host Family idea if it doesn't work out. The problem is that if I start cooking A Full English for a guest, then all the kids will expect it too every morning before school, instead of their bowl of cereal...bye bye any profits! I don't have a dishwasher since our last one died, so I don't need the extra washing up either! :) Found out this month that two of the middle kids need BRACES and as there is no NHS out here, we have to raise the money - one way or another!

Hope you are all keeping warm wherever you are. It is beautiful over here - all the cherry blossom is out now in full force...pretty :heartpuls
    This thread rocks - it is so good to have something that we have to update...keeps me on the straight and narrow! ;) Byeee x
    'You've got to tell your money what to do or it will leave!' Dave Ramsey
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Canucksfan you're doing well, really working that saving! I'm being much lazier and passive about mine :D ! Do you know how many Canadian $ are there to the £ - is it about the same as the USA $?

I'm toying with the idea of a new oven/hob and fan (to be fair, they are all 25 years old an knackered, as is the worktop).

But rather than a new kitchen, I'm thinking I will renew the appliances, get new worktop/splashbacks/sink, and new handles for the units (which are in good nick and quite plain and undated). I reckon I could do the whole lot for about £2500 rather than the ridiculous amounts of money needed for a whole new kitchen and it would still look different and updated.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • YoungBusinessman
    Options
    Credit card paid off for this month, just my fuel goes on....plus around £500 from various things from long weekend break I had 2 weeks ago...now that's cleared account is looking pretty low!! However no fear as savings are at £3,131.85. I get paid £1,000+ on Friday and an invoice sent out for self employed work that should leave me with net pay of around £700. So £1,700 coming into me in the next week, I need £150 for fuel and some spends so say £1,500 to save...should be at £4,631.85 in about a weeks time :D delighted to be making progress!!
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
  • JustinCredibleGillespie
    Options
    No savings to report this month unfortunately :( Paid off mine & OH's credit card £321 & £191, plus 2 new front tyres for the car £75 each and then we had to buy 500 ltrs of Oil costing £318 which cost a grand total of £980! Plus my wages this month were flat due to no overtime. So fingers crossed I get some extra hours in April as we have 2 big events coming up also.

Happy Saving Folks ;)

JCG

xx
    :smileyheaMarried on 20/07/2012! :smileyhea
    :DBought my new car 11/08/12:D
    :cool: Save £12k In 2013 Num 009! £5502/£5000 :cool:
    Save £12k in 2014 Num 22! £2131/£3000
    Emergency Fund £0
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Payday for me tomorrow, so another £1500 or so into the savings acount this month. I noticed that IF have lowered the interest rate on my savings account so it is time to move them to a better paying account. OH does not have an ISA this year so i am have got him to open one last night with Tesco bank to put some of the savings into.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • emjaycee
    emjaycee Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2013 at 2:41PM
    Options
    At least £1,000 saved this month!

That's £2,200 saved this year so far.
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Just over £400 saved this month, will add my partners bonus into next month's savings. Made some good shopping savings this month and a few good sales on the local Facebook pages and our garage is looking a lot clearer now too!

Got an Amazon voucher from topcashback which will go towards my daughter's birthday presents :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • Canucksfan
    Canucksfan Posts: 169 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Wentthedaywell- sorry couldn't reply earlier with the 8 hr time difference...the $1000 I saved this month is worth only 650.63 pounds. There is no way that I could save the equivalent of 1000 pounds - no way, no how!!!
    Your kitchen plans sound lovely. Have you gone onto Pinterest to get some ideas yet? It is v v addictive!
    'You've got to tell your money what to do or it will leave!' Dave Ramsey
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Canucksfan wrote: »
    Have you gone onto Pinterest to get some ideas yet? It is v v addictive!

I daren't Canucks! If I start looking at lovely new kitchens, my resolve will weaken and I will want a whole new one, not just a tosh up. I just got a quote for a glass splashback and that alone was over a thousand quid! :eek:
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills