We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Universal Job Match at http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk

Options

Comments

• SaveMeDo
    SaveMeDo Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cookie can do anything they are written to do, yes they can track all your activity on your browser, although the DWP say that their cookies don't track you, other peoples can, and they can track what you do on UJM.

The UJM site tells users NOT TO USE IT if they object to the use of cookies, they have to do that BY LAW.
    Also, I have signed up for temping. How does that work if the work comes in in dribs and drabs? For example, a weeks work, then no work for two weeks, then two weeks work, then nothing for a week, etc etc. Do you have to keep stopping your claim and then starting a new claim for each new temp assignment? Seems like it could get a bit messy... :/

If you work any week for 16 hours or more, you must sign off JSA. If you do less than 16 hours, you fill a form in at the jobcentre and hand it in when you sign on, you get a fiver, "disregard" (if you are single 20 if partnered)

If the Jobcentre think you are cutting your own hours, to stay on JSA (for housing benefit) they can throw you off benefit and charge you with fraud.
  • Cutzee
    Cutzee Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    :shocked: I'm not looking to do anything fraudulent/work the system! I will be actively seeking work. Just wondered how it works with temping. So from what you're saying it's potentially signing on and off constantly - that will be fun completing the new claim application screens over and over when I need to restart a claim! :T

And thank you for the cookie clarification - much appreciated :)
  • SaveMeDo
    SaveMeDo Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 June 2013 at 2:26PM
    Options
    Cutzee

If this is the first time you have signed on, you need to remember the rules.

Say as little as possible at the jobcentre, treat it like being interviewed at a police station.

If the jobcentre tell you to apply for a job, APPLY for it, because if you don't, without a good cause, they will sanction you.

Read your JSAg carefully and comply with it at every signing or they will sanction you sooner or later.

Don't ask to do a course, or tell them you have to do anything OTHER than look for work, or they will either send you on the work program early or sanction you.

You must be actively seeking employment 24/7

You must a available to start work 24/7

You must not refuse any offer of work, without good (bulletproof) reason.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    bad time keeping? Are you serious? ?LOL

No if its a job I want paying simple as
    if its mandatory course and you dont do as required you risk being sanctioned. that is why any resistance has to be done within the rules to avoid being sanctioned. benefit bashers slag me off for saying this but while you have to appear willing, keen and have good time keeping they cant force you to be good and fast. subtle sabotage as far as you can get away with is the way to resist if you wish to.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    if its mandatory course and you dont do as required you risk being sanctioned. that is why any resistance has to be done within the rules to avoid being sanctioned. benefit bashers slag me off for saying this but while you have to appear willing, keen and have good time keeping they cant force you to be good and fast. subtle sabotage as far as you can get away with is the way to resist if you wish to.
    why would you not be willing? I don't get that
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • UsetheFORCE
    UsetheFORCE Posts: 688 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cutzee wrote: »
    Kill me now! :/ How long does it take before I am made to apply for ANY job regardless of pay/skills/hours/suitability/location? And what happens if I am forced to take a job that does not pay enough to cover my basic rent, council tax, utilities and minimum groceries?

Depends on whether you are the type to be bullied and worn down!

Supposedly 3 months, depends on who you see in the Jobcentre and whether they give a !!!!!!!!!
    I have numerous qualifications in Business and Finance, Accountancy, Health and Safety and am now studying Law.

Don't rely on anything I write as it may be wrong!!!
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    why would you not be willing? I don't get that
    well if you disagree with it and dont want to do it then you could make the mistake of showing it. this could be described as unwilling. it could be as blatant a saying no i am not doing that when asked to do something. so despite how you feel what you should do is agree to do it with a smile on your face.
  • Ratboy
    Ratboy Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    My partner turned up 3 minutes late at dole to sign on today, due to bus not turning up, then roadworks; normally told off for going in too early! Immediately got signed on, but got a warning letter; If you are late again, you will be signed off!!!

Then referred to a queue of people behind her, that other people in there said everyone in there had been referred to..Hmm?

After an hour of waiting (I signed on in the meantime on a different floor as the main signer OK), she met this second person that immediatelly sanctioned her (us), gave us a lecture about UJM/GG website, then had me booted out by security, even though I wasn't doing anything, and told to leave the building.

Now I WASN'T sanctioned, my partner WAS, so does that mean benefits stop? Not given clear information, just a couple of forms. Not even given a new diary sheet, as mine is full bar one, therefore I would be sanctioned for not providing next time I presume?

It turns out the dole was heaving, because they were sanctioning EVERYONE, and when asked why, 'Just doing my job', I asked why are you not doing crisis loans anymore, where do you get them? reply 'Dunno', you get food parcels, asked how to pay for my newly broken windows by the terror neighbour, 'Ask the council?'.

Yeah really helpful, plus I have to attend doleskool tomorrow (you get sanctioned if you don't attend) - OH! I forget!! I AM Sanctioned, or rather my partner is, and therefore I am, but also need to attend the police station at the same time; so which takes priority? Due to the attempted break in and assault on me by 'suspects unknown', or an interview where they say the dole says your partner didn't give them an uptodate diary, because she ran out of space, so your money stops too, or the Police knocking my door at God knows all hours? And dropping their non cps case, due to lack of evidence?

Then, due to all this; standing at the bus stop; arm extended, another person standing there arm extended, drove past at 50-60mph in the town centre, causing 2 cars to brake heavily, a following police car (panda), took no notice. 30 mins later managed to get home, to find my nuisance neighbour being a nuisance. Hide in house, and report to police as council tells me to.

/Rant over - B A D D A Y, only to get worse tomorrow form filling and dole skool and queueing and decision makers I presume.
  • mon37
    mon37 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Today I have seen my advisor at JC and I was pressured to give an access to UJM. I brought printed record of my UJM activities, advisor look at the records and said "Could you just write your e-mail here. You give the right to access your account do you?" Basically she pushed me to the answer. Not happy with it at all.
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My advisor tried to copy my email address on his computer from one page onto the UJM page... he just highlighted the email as if by magic was gonna copy onto the page he wanted LOL... he didn't even know how copy and paste... that's my advisor :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport