Great ‘what to buy on a day trip to France’ Hunt

Comments

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    taxiphil wrote: »
    Pure orange juice (the long life stuff in 1 litre cartons) is currently 0.42 Euros in all the major French supermarkets - that's about 30p give or take a penny, which is half the 59p currently being charged for the budget 'cheapo' ones in UK supermarkets. This is because Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons are operating a price-fixing cartel on orange juice in the UK (you may recall that it used to be 30p-ish a couple of years ago until the big 4 all suddenly doubled the price overnight without any explanation). If you drink lots of OJ it's worth stocking up in France as the Best Before dates are 10-12 months away.

You can still buy long-life orange juice in Aldi for about 30p a carton. It comes with a german lable, but there's nothing wrong with the stuff.
  • kitaj
    kitaj Posts: 67 Forumite
    Taps. Much cheaper, but check all fitting sizes as they are all metric over there and a lot of ours aren't, especially in older houses. Someone else has already mentioned sinks and shower fittings but same applies.
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    pingua wrote: »
    UHT Fruit compote,I used to get this as England didn't sell it and I was told by the hospital in France to eat 3 of these daily (this is the only fruit I can digest) but I don't bother now as Lidl has started selling them,yeah!!

Do Lidl sell compote de pomme???? :T I used to love the stuff - getti ng all excited now :beer:

Yes Lidl do sell apple compote,I can't remember the price,but think they are 69p/4,they also sell apple and banana,peach and banana,enjoy :)
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    skr80 wrote: »
    So in comparison, is there a 'whats more expensive in France / Europe compared to GB' - not much I suspect....

Baked beans!! we used to pay 35FF/can :eek: that was a few years ago,but the French do not eat 'our' baked beans,so you find it hard to get them.
    Branston pickle,is expensive as are good tea bags and proper square bread,but French bread is nicer anyway;)
    LIH
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • Le Solde" or The Sale
    In France the sales seem to be genuine reductions not manufactured reductions that really weren't more expensive in the first place, Le Blanc is the sale that starts at the beginning of January, and it is predominantly household linens, sheets, towels etc., The sales don't last long in France and really only seem to take place a couple of times a year. HTH xx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • onthegin
    onthegin Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    The Eco own label brand of E. Leclerc's jam. 1 kg jars for €1.20. Not entirely packed with strawberries but so full of flavour, delicious with Brittany butter makes even an English bread jam butty taste good. Also their own brand mustard in 1 kg jars. Always bring a dozen jars of each home.
  • kitaj wrote: »
    Taps. Much cheaper, but check all fitting sizes as they are all metric over there and a lot of ours aren't, especially in older houses. Someone else has already mentioned sinks and shower fittings but same applies.

I have a second house in Fance and I am a techician plumber over here. The French use BSP threads over there so you can get adaptors to fit the french taps and use them over here:j
  • Its not only booze, ciggies and food which are cheaper in France. Last year I bought an angle-grinder for 10 Euros in a supermarket there. I had only gone in the shop for some booze. Unfortunatly I can't remember the name of the supermarket. Perhaps that's due to the booze.
  • hello there

what i tend to buy abroad (esp carrefour in cite europe when i was there last) is men's toiletries such as nivea face cream and hand cream

lynx deoderants are a lot cheaper too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport