Great ‘what to buy on a day trip to France’ Hunt

Comments

• I always stock up on fountain pens and ink cartridges.

I think that French schoolchildren must be taught to write with them because the supermarkets always have a really inexpensive but unusual selection.

Waterman cartridges are a few euros, but the run of the mill one size fits all come in bags of 50 and in an incredible range of colours even fluorescent!

loubee
  • gladys_3
    gladys_3 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Hi Live Over Here , If You Can Find A Geant Supermarket Or A Leader Price Super Market , Just Shop In These , Wine Cheese Sausages , Ham All That You Want They Have Got It 50% Percent Less Than Than Your Average Shopping Bill In The Uk, You Will Save Pounds, But Live In The South West So I Do Not Know If They Are Any Of These In The North , . Happy Shopping
  • pingua
    pingua Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    UHT Fruit compote,I used to get this as England didn't sell it and I was told by the hospital in France to eat 3 of these daily (this is the only fruit I can digest) but I don't bother now as Lidl has started selling them,yeah!!

Do Lidl sell compote de pomme???? :T I used to love the stuff - getti ng all excited now :beer:
  • Hi
    We found that the Floor and Wall tiles are a lot cheaper (Leroy Merlin, Calais) the designs are different. Also light fittings and bathroom bits.Just make sure your car springs are OK as there are lot of traffic humps in Calais and Dover
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I always stock up on supermarket own-brand Dijon mustard and strawberry jam. A large jar of each lasts me ages, so I don't need many.
    Cheap 24 packs of bottled lager (St Omer or similar) at around £3 are a bargain. At Christmas I buy their 'Biere de Noel' which is excellent - stronger, slightly darker in colour and with a lovely flavour.
    Chocolate by Nestle and Suchard is also a good buy.
  • I am suppling the bar at our wedding (dinner and evening) so have been on the look out for deals here or in France to cut the cost (not money saving I know but expected in our family!.)

Most of the chains have a calais website e.g Tesco, Sainburys so you can research before you go.

The best deals / sales we found were on Majestic for champagne and bottled beer + you could try in the UK and buy there....

If you pre-ordered enough and booked the ferry through them the crossing would be free - this was around Christmas. We calculated we saved about £1300 on 1200 beers and 54 bottles of champagne the time compared to the shelf price in Tesco.

If you can sample the wine before your get there so you know what you are looking for otherwise you can end up with 100 bottles of vinegar or panic buying. I find the smaller independant French warehouses are cheaper than Citi-Europe etc and have a better range of local French wines (plus quieter, friendlier and feels like you could be in France - not calais if you know what I mean)

If anyone else is having a wedding (congrats!), we had a tasting panel and found Tesco Cava beat champagnes, Tesco's Merlot beat three other merlots (and was cheapest), and Hardy's VR chardonnay won the whites. Also, check out https://www.day-tripper.net for lots of info, including the website links of the supermarkets. Good luck!
  • pippo
    pippo Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I also find Auchan cheaper. As well as checking their site before you go & printing money off vouchers to take do join up for the loyalty card when you are there. We tend to do one big shop for the wine etc teh return for the extra bits & pieces and get the money back off the card on the second shop. Tuesdays are special voucher days at Auchan Calais & we find locals give us their spare vouchers when we are standing at the checkout .

The loyalty card gives 10% off own labels as well as many other offers.
  • French butter is simply the best, allthough I don't think it is particularly cheaper, but the quality outweighs that, salted or unsalted.
    Go to the Wine Cave with a 5 gallon water container fill it at about £1 per litre from the huge wine vats, then decant it into cleaned bottles that you have saved, just one note, don't leave it in the plastic container for more than 2 or 3 days, it is best decanted straight away.
    Tyres look out for special deals, they are so much cheaper for branded tyres, have them fitted while you wait.
    Seedlings vegetables, tomatoes and geraniums are really cheap and great quality.
    Kitchen sinks good selection and a lot cheaper than UK.
    Goats cheese It freezes too.
    Tomatoes on the vine at the moment about 2.50 Euros a kilo, but shortly will be about 1.80 euros kilo. The flavour is just like you have picked them, much better than those sold in England.
    Quail fresh quail are really cheap and are delicious.
    Hope this helps someone.
    threadbanner.gif
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • Alfisti
    Alfisti Posts: 5 Forumite
    Regular essentials for me are Rollmops (about half UK price), whole smoked chickens and strings of smoked garlics (both around £3.00 each), jars of excellent Spanish Anchovies, Spanish "style" (but made in France) fiery Chorizo and not forgetting any special offer generic 45% Pastis which to my recollection has not increased in price in the last 10 years and is still about 9.5 Euros per litre!
    Happy Gourmanding!
    Robin.
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    ‘What should I buy on a day trip to France?’ is one of the most commonly asked questions on the Travel Chat Forum Board, so I thought I’d turn it into a great hunt.

I want your top tips on bulk-buying cut-price French goodies. What are the best items to stock up on? How can you check what’s on offer before you go? Plus, are there any cheap ways to get the ferry in the first place?

Please reply below to share your booze cruise bargains.
    A great buy in france are many diy products fom the likes of Leyroy Merlin or Brico depo both in boulogne especially shower mixer taps and other bathroom stuff also plastic decorative ceiling panels as sold in B&Q for £20 a metre work out at about 4 euros for the same in brico depo a B&Q owned diy chain in France.
    Also the cheapest ferrie company i have found are https://www.speedferries.com they operate a service between Dover and Boulogne we have used them for the last 3 years and saved a small fortune.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure