Great ‘what to buy on a day trip to France’ Hunt

1101112131416»

Comments

• teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    apologies if this question has been posted before:
    I like the time-saving pre-order system that carrefour offers.
    has anyone used this method? does it do what it says it does?
    I'd be more than grateful if someone could guide me through this.

many thanks

EDITED

Found it : it's apparently unique to the Calais store, and you can see details here. In English.

You tell it what you want online, like an internet shop, then pick a date, and pick up your fully prepared order (and pay on pickup).

Sorry, I've not used it, but Carrefour online shopping to home is usually reliable.
  • Duck breast in sealed packages are soooo cheap and really nice. However us brits are still being charged top dollar. we bought top grade prawns in Nice at 9.95 euros. Rather than take them up to calais we decided to buy some when we reached Calais and a lower grade prawn was 19.95 euros so while we Brits think we are getting a bargain they are still fleecing us!!
    aggie21
  • waggys
    waggys Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We travel from Dover to Calais and then drive for about 15 minutes to Bolougne and go to the Auchan hypermarket there. Significantly cheaper wine prices than in City Europe in Calais; more than worth paying the petrol money. Bottles of cava that we buy were more than 1 euro per bottle more expensive in Calais than Bolougne. They are just cashing in on British people not travelling out of Calais.

Cheap goodies we have found include: immac hair removing cream (half UK price), shaving gel, nuts, olives, Pol Remy sparkling wine (like a cava and it was being sold in Sainsburys in the uk for £5 per bottle approx - 1.60euro and very pallatable), we always buy their paprika crisps (similar to pringles), cotton wool face cleaning discs.

Make sure you don't travel over there with a full tank of diesel so that you can fill up over there as lots cheaper.
  • oswestry123
    oswestry123 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Hi Everyone. We are going to do a booze run on Friday at Auchan in Bolounge. Thanks for all the advice so far. Does anyone know if the wine cellar at Auchan in Bolouge let's you taste the wines? We are hoping to get loads of red white and rose for the cheap end range of about a euro a bottle. Can anyone recommend any wines to us. We are also after beer!! Thanks everyone. Also how big is the wine/beer section??
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Not usually, unless some supplier has a rep in trying to push his wines.
    ( I used to use this Auchan as a one stop shop, but not really knowing what I would get until I pulled out the cork, means I tend to buy enough to get the free ferry from Majestic and use Auchan for cheap French/Belgian beer, the odd bottle of fortified /spirits and perhaps Clairette de Die plus the all so cheep stuff such as Pol Remy (fizz) and wines that can always be used for cooking if they are too bad for Kir at a hot summer BBQ.)

Auchan is good for all those "French" things that are unavailable here in the UK or are bargains (not very likely with the Euro costing nearly 80 pence.)

Don't forget to go over near empty & use the diesel pump if you drive an oil burner.
  • zulubabe
    zulubabe Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So in 2009 - what is cheaper to buy in France - looked at French L'Occitane site and UK and it seems to be cheaper in the UK! :eek:

I'm off to France (Nice) for the first time ever in June so would appreciate some input...
    2019 Wins: Feb: £10 Aldi Voucher, Frankie & Benny's meal for 2; May: Game from Maynards. June: 2x tickets to Foodies Festival July: £100 September: £30; October: £1000, Goldfinch Merch Pack

Thanks those who post Comps
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nice is lovely. They sell gorgeous marseille soap in the little shops there. Make sure you go to the old town its just beautiful. Olive oil, pot pourri are popular down there too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure