🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great ‘what to buy on a day trip to France’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pokem02 wrote: »
    I agree, that's exactly why I said to know the rate both ways (pounds to Euros and back again) so you don't get caught out.

And I paid by credit card (not debit card) so that's another reason for people to wise up before they go so they can weigh up the French shop's fee (by way of a lower exchange rate) against the fee charged by the credit card company!!!

This is usually sound advice but Carrefour Cite Europe are offering 1:43 Euros/£ on cash and credit card transactions at the moment, which was better than I got from my CC provider and much better than the tourist rate which is down nearer 1.33 just now.
  • al_yrpal
    al_yrpal Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    wyse wrote: »
    As mentioned by others, merguez sausages are amazing - the unofficial French dish must be 'merguez frites' in the same way as ours is chicken tikka massala!

threadbanner.gif
    Excellent Merguez Sausages have long been available from Vicars Game at Ashampstead (I have no connection)
    Al
    Survivor of debt, redundancy, endowment scams, share crashes, sky-high inflation, lousy financial advice, and multiple house price booms. Comfortably retired after learning to back my own judgement.
    This is not advice - hopefully it's common sense..
  • smartarse
    Options
    Hi folks,
    popular thread!
    Try "Lustucru" spaghetti - it's hollow and cooks in next to no time. What's more it has a really light texture and doesn't leave you with that bloated, "just-left-Naples" feeling! The kids love it and I can't find it in the UK.
    Also, the sweetest, cheapest alcohol hit [forget alkopops] has to be white Bergerac or better still Montbazillac...
    PS I don't have a connection to any of these producers, but wish I did!
    :spam: ..........go on, you know you fancy some!
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    Go to the customer services desk of any supermarket and get a loyaly card before you do anything else. You might need your passport for ID but some of the special offers in store are only for card holders. Sometimes the "money off " goes on the loyalty card but you can spend it next time.

You can also look for the special promotion leaflets for supermarkets before you go so you know what's on offer. Cora, Geant and LeClerc have nice ones and, unlike here, I've usually managed to find the offers in store.

Kitchen things are often cheaper and it's fun to see the different things they sell.

I don't know about cheaper, but it's always worth buying some packs of chicken or turkey breasts, they are so much more tender than those we get here.

Liquid soap is a good buy ...a good present for friends because it looks more interesting, and you can get refills.

Banquet roll...paper tablecloths on a roll like wallpaper...is a good buy for childrens parties and summer barbeques.As are paper napkins etc.

Paint is more expensive and the range of colours is much more limited than here.
    Pet items, extending leads, dog toys, dog treats are MORE expensive and if I was able to open a Dunelm Mill type shop in France I'm sure i'd soon make my fortune because the sort of household things they sell are much more expensive in France too.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    France's equivalent to Calpol (paracetemol for children) is called Doliprane. It looks and tastes just the same and is much cheaper. We always stock up from French chemists.
  • notsolucky_2
    Options
    Love reading this thread I am going next Friday for the day got the trolley dash for £19.00 for a car and 2 adults so very pleased.Can anyone tell me what Cassoulet is please? And how do the Merguez sausages taste they seem very popular?
    And also have to agree Flunch is the best place to eat,very good value and lovely food.I just wished we lived nearer to Dover (3.5 hours away) I would go alot more regularly. Au revoir!!
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    "Cassoulet: A stew consisting of haricot, beans, onions, herbs and various sorts of meat."

Actually the supermarket tinned stuff is a bit like sausages-in-baked-beans but a different flavour, more varied and a lot more interesting.

If you had a bit longer, I would recommend doing a French lunch where you pay a fixed price including wine for what ever is written on the blackboard today (and probably cooked by the wife of the family team).
  • notsolucky_2
    Options
    OK thanks will look out for it,is it all in tins?
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Just to offer my services to this thread - I now live in France (i know, it's such a hardship!) and so if you're curious as to the price of anything instore, to see if it might be cheaper than the UK or not, just post it in here and next time I go shopping I can check for you!
  • zeberdy
    zeberdy Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For a cheap clean place to stay check out www.misterbed.fr we used one en route to a skiing hol 2 adults and 2 children £20 for the night. Paid extra for the beakfast but this was good eat and drink as much as you liked continental style, fruit, cereal, and croissants, coffee, fruit juice etc but well worth it as we needed to be on move straightaway.

These are often located on industrial estates just out side main towns so a car is often essential but they do have some city ones see web site that charge a bit more I would definatly use one again. We stayed at the one near Troyes which I would recommend as a good place if you want to break a journey to the alps. The town is very nice has a lot of mediavel buildings and cobbled streets well worth a weekend visit alone about 2- 3 hours from tunnel exit.

regards

Zeberdy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills