Great ‘what to buy on a day trip to France’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• sailorsteve
    Options
    Apart from buying the usual Beer and Wine we have found that floor and wall tiles are a lot cheaper and different (Leroy Merlin) I know that this requires 2 trips across one to order and one to collect but stock up on beer and wine in France and ciggies on the boat with the 1st trip and tiles with the 2nd make sure you dont overload the car. Also their are some good restaurants in Calais so make the most of it and enjoy the French cuisine. We normally go over with an offer with the Mail or the Sun (£19.00). We live quite close to Dover so its easy for us
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No need to wait for the newspaper offers, this LINK fron day tripper.net will get you a P&O day trip for £18 car and all passengers, £28 saturdays.
  • camaj
    camaj Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to follow up on that Spaghetti, I checked in sainsbury's and it's called buccini or something like that, anyone know what I mean. Is that what you were looking for !!!!!!?
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    P&O is offering the above until mid March.
    The 6 bottles of wine should be worth about 15 GBP at French prices.
    Read the terms and conditions and you might have to poke about on the web site to get the 20GBP price.
    Probably good value if you just need to stock up.

[Not as good as the mid 90's = 5GBP and free meals if you read the Star:D]

As featured in this week's moneysaving email:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=716933
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Those nice people at Majestic [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]http://majesticinfrance.co.uk/
    have just sent me their catalogue for 05Feb08 -> 06Mar08.

I compared this with the same catalogue for last summer.

The results are below. For the wines, I only bothered with prices less than a fiver.
    If you buy "cooking wine" in glass bottles, for less than a quid, you are buying more transport, labelling, glass, promotion & profit than you are buying wine.
    If you buy for more than a fiver then the UK tax becomes a lower percentage of the price, and things like exact vintage, exact vineyard and snob value come to be significant.

Are we surprised to find more prices going up than coming down?
    Sadly the excellent wine from Chile, I bought for young hound's wedding has gone up considerably in the last 18 months and so has the Champagne.

It looks as though Argentina and the Rainbow Nation, are offering good value at present.

Here are my results in the following order: going up -- no change -- going down -- new, (cannot be matched).

17 -- 5 -- 0 -- 3 .........................Champagne.
    6 -- 10 -- 3 -- 0 ..........................Sparkling.
    9 -- 18 -- 0 -- 1 ..........................Spirits.
    5 -- 30 -- 1 -- 1 ..........................Beer & cider.
    25 - 45 -- 7 -- 5 ..........................France.
    11 - 10 -- 0 -- 0 ..........................Italy.
    4 -- 10 -- 2 -- 4 ..........................Spain.
    0 -- 3 -- 16 - 0 ......................... RSA.
    0 -- 6 -- 6 -- 5 ......................... Aus.
    0 -- 0 -- 8 -- 2 ......................... Argie.
    2 -- 0 -- 0 -- 2 .......................... NZ.
    0 -- 7 -- 0 -- 0 .......................... USA.
    12 -- 4 -- 0 -- 3 ......................... Chile.
    0 -- 8 -- 3 -- 1 ......................... Germany.

The free crossing now requires an order of 400 gbp (up from 300). Similarly the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]alternative of a [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]30 GBP discount now requires a 400 gbp order.

Harry.

Woops, you also have to pay for the "cork".

[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • jamescredmond
    Options
    apologies if this question has been posted before:
    I like the time-saving pre-order system that carrefour offers.
    has anyone used this method? does it do what it says it does?
    I'd be more than grateful if someone could guide me through this.

many thanks
    miladdo
  • MegS
    MegS Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone using Roc skincare should stock up in France. The handcream works out at about £4 a tube compared to £12 over here. Those French pharmacies have some great skincare ranges. Sanitary towels are also a lot cheaper in the supermarkets. I usually stock up on olive oil, dijon, anchovies, capers, jarred roasted peppers, coffee filters, soups, pepper sauce (for steak), sparkling water (usually Spa), washing powder, tinned sweetcorn (or any veg), wine and beer (of course). Noticed last time that the price of tinned tuna has gone up considerably, maybe there's a worldwide shortage. Found a big complex with an Auchan and Decathlon (fantastic sports shop) just south of Lille last time. Try to keep well away from Cite d'Europe as I detest the place with a passion, will even make OH drive ten miles down the road to use any other supermarket to avoid it, we find it overpriced as it caters to Brits, even the Carrefoure in Lille was slightly cheaper. Champion which I think is further south is good as well as a supermarket that has a little muskateer mouse as a logo, limited range but cheap.
  • MegS
    MegS Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention fly and wasp spray - lethal stuff but better than ours, probably has banned substances in it but as long as it kills the bugs I don't care, OH swears by it!!
  • sarahemmm
    sarahemmm Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    apologies if this question has been posted before:
    I like the time-saving pre-order system that carrefour offers.
    has anyone used this method? does it do what it says it does?
    I'd be more than grateful if someone could guide me through this.

many thanks

I went to look around the Carrefour site, but could only find the delivery service. Can someone point me to the right place?
  • auntypog
    auntypog Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I found some ridiculously cheap own brand pantie-liners in the small supermarket chain Super Ed. They worked out to about 25p a pack.
    Never mash cheese: it bends the fork.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport