Great ‘what to buy on a day trip to France’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• essay_2
    essay_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Some Mse's Have Mentioned Cheap Waterman Pens, I Need To Buy One For A Birthday Gift. Can Anyone Tell Me The Best (and Cheapest)place To Get This Also Refills? Thanks
  • chattyone13
    chattyone13 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Want a real bargain then do as I do and bring home the duck !! A pack of two Barbary duck breasts will cost in Euros 7.50 depending on weight in City de Europe Supermarket......excellent value as two can eat off one breast.:j
  • Bats
    Bats Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Still on the subject of meat, chilled chicken breasts actually taste of chicken, unlike the British rubber variety; French sausages are delicious and meaty, and the supermarkets often run promotions on big polystyrene boxes of various meat cuts (half a lamb/ cow/ pig type thing). All of these are of a much higher quality than the British equivalent, and usually considerably cheaper as well.
    Excellent value seafood platters from places like Carrefour, and seasonal fruit and veg in huge sacks for just a couple of euros.
  • frannyscho
    frannyscho Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    It's similar to that served in all the bars, it's not so sweet as normal powders but isn't cocoa. You cannot find anything like it here in my opinion.

Poulain Chocolatier Grand Arome in bright orange/dark blue containers with a brown horse with a chocolate bar in its mouth jumping over a blue world. The packets are a bit lairy so you can't miss them.

A large steaming cup of it with French bread, french butter, dripping with apricot jam DUNKED in.......mmmmmmn

Don't forget the apricot jam either.....

Leave me some because I'm going over soon. I've just run out. Its too fabby for words....am I getting carried away?
  • jrt007
    jrt007 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Does anyone happen to know if shrub type plants are cheaper in France? I've been quoted about three hundred quid for quite a small amount of greenery and am quite happy to make the journey to France if I can save some cash!

Thanks in advance!
  • tankard_2
    tankard_2 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    It's gonna cost the two of us £54 return to use the Folkstone Calais Tunnel for a day trip. Surely there is a better deal than this without using the ferries :confused:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tankard wrote: »
    It's gonna cost the two of us £54 return to use the Folkstone Calais Tunnel for a day trip. Surely there is a better deal than this without using the ferries :confused:

So how else would you get a car across the Channel?
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    tankard wrote: »

I have in the past found "chunnel" day trip prices on sale CHEAPER than the ferries, by googling and turning up bucket shops. In fact I went with one organisation, while a chat room was discussing the fact that the tickets were so cheap, that it had to be a scam.

HOWEVER that was a couple of years ago, when the tunnel was facing bankruptcy and it was off season, not half term !

The marginal cost of a space on a shuttle is next to nothing for as long as there are spare spaces, but the management dare not offer such tickets for sale in their own name or they would loose their full price customers. Some people seem to think that the tunnel is a premium product (??!)

It is worth hunting, where the airlines have already gone, the cross channel operators are likely to follow. (Perhaps martin should set up another web scraper to identify and graph the cheapest deals at ground level ?)

What is wrong with the ferries anyway ? I don't really feel I have been abroad if I just go down a tube tunnel ?

Harry.

PS The other thing to remember is that, when the common market turned into the European Union, the cross channel operators lost the huge mark-up they made on duty free purchases, so the days of really cheap crossings (I had a Saturday return for nothing once in the good old days) are no longer possible,
    as they cannot be cross subsidised.

PPS I think these people were the "bucket shop" in question:
    (handy for getting an overview of the market before trying individual web sites, if nothing else.)

http://www.ferrycheap.com
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    jrt007 wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to know if shrub type plants are cheaper in France? I've been quoted about three hundred quid for quite a small amount of greenery and am quite happy to make the journey to France if I can save some cash!

Thanks in advance!

Might be an idea to check the regulations, we don't want you bringing back Colorado beetle or sugar beet fungus, to name but two.;)

I would bet that Belgium or even Holland might be even better - I have a large Dutch lorry parking up overnight here on his way to and from garden centres.
    (Have you checked the "are garden centres too expensive" thread on the go at the moment ?)
  • ren79
    ren79 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going with a few freinds for a day-trip to Calais on Sunday. We've got the alcohol bit of our trip sorted and will be collecting that from Majestic at the end of the day, but have now realised that as it's Sunday most of the shops will be closed, at least by the time that we get there... Anyone got any tips of places that may be open on a Sunday afternoon? And what about Cafes/restaurants, are we likely to have the same problem with them?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport