daft question i know but,,, with mobile communications these days does anybody ignore messages and not get back to that person.?? If you don,t get back to them, what are the reasons??
:A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling

Comments

• anderson8
    anderson8 Posts: 1,223
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I constantly don't get back to people. I usually read messages and mean to reply but with a15 month old, usually forget
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Often, and for lots of reasons - I forget, the message doesn't require a response, I don't have a response, I've left my phone somewhere, my battery is dead, I'm ignoring them, I need to check sometihng before getting back to them.....
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I dont respond to joke type texts but i always respond to texts other than that.

I think its rude not to but i dont have a 15month old to run round after so i never forget.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Im also a scatterbrain and if I don’t reply as soon as I read the message I forget (or think Ive already replied when I haven’t!!) if ever I see I have a text but know I don’t have the time to reply, I have to refrain from reading it which then can drive me barmy like an itch you cant quite scratch!!!
  • Sometimes I can't reply because I'm out of credit!
  • raq wrote: »
    daft question i know but,,, with mobile communications these days does anybody ignore messages and not get back to that person.?? If you don,t get back to them, what are the reasons??

Depends on the message.

Why are you asking?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sometimes I don’t reply because there is no need to – such as if I have said to my friend ‘will meet you at 8pm’ and they reply ‘ok see you later’ there is no reason for me to reply – unless I feel like having the last word!!
  • Largely they're just meaningless drivel or attention seeking.

If it's a coherent message that I actually need to reply to, I will - but most the time, texts aren't like that - they're brain farts that require no response. Especially if you only saw them this morning and they've sent fifteen pointless texts by lunchtime. They get me thinking;

Just bog off and leave me alone!!!!!!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Often times I won't reply as it can potentially end up in endless back & forth if you feel compelled to reply to EVERY text! But this is a situation where we have no context - for example, if I had been on a date with a woman who turned out to be devoid of personality then I probably would just ignore the text!

For the record, I'm also notorious for doing that in conversations - if it's going nowhere or I feel it's taking too long I'll either say "get to the point" or simply walk away. Life's too short to be hanging round listening to pointless drivel!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,020
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Because I have a life?

Because I often read texts when I don't have time to reply?

Because I read the text when I shouldn't have been looking at my phone, so can't reply?

Because your job doesn't allow you to use a phone whilst working?

Unless the text message is regarding meeting someone in the next hour, then I think it's perfectly reasonable to give someone 8 to 12 hours to reply.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure