🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

LOW COST homemade christmas gifts

Options

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I like homemade, presents. Something that you know people have put 'time' into getting. But i've got some family members that would look at you in disdain if you'd spent less than £100 on something with the right label for each of them.
    I've finally learnt to disappoint them.

Thankfully most of my friends and family are not brave enough to be anything other than grateful for what they get ;)

But this year I want to make plaques with the text from the Grinch on them -
    "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store.
    Maybe Christmas… perhaps… means a little bit more."
    :) If they can't grasp that christmas is about the love and thoughts behind the present then they can all !!!!!! off say I! :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • quinechinoise
    quinechinoise Posts: 412 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2012 at 12:56PM
    Options
    MrsTine wrote: »
    Actually it's very much against board rules to post links to your blog or page so please don't do so... it's also not really allowed to say "check my profile for the link" and would be enough to have the post removed which would be a shame :)

Especially as i love those LOL I may have to make some!

I've edited my post to remove the reference. Do scroll down the comments section on the pattern though - as at least two people there have pointed out, you really need to sew the ribbons in before you sew up the cosy side seam. The pattern says to sew them in afterwards but it's really much easier to sew them before.
  • jakesbakescakes
    Options
    springdreams your ideas are lovely - i adore your gingerbread man <3
    i am making 'soap socks' which are knitted cosy's to fit over a bar of soap (very cute for stocking fillers) will try to learn how to post pics but if not(!) there are plenty of free knitting patterns/pics on ravelry.com
  • jezebel1
    jezebel1 Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2012 at 5:04PM
    Options
    33b3528.jpg
  • jezebel1
    jezebel1 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    pic added for little jars i added earlier
    149wjl0.jpg
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spectacle cases

if i could find my camera I would show you. I have made some glasses cases for aunts and granparents. Each one takes 2 squares of fabric about 9 " shqaure. Ideally some interfacing and some wadding both the same size. but have some old clothes I can cut out some squares from.

put interfacing on wrong side of one square. put 2 pieces of fabric right sides together, interfacing up is easist with batting on bottom. sew close to edge around nearly all four sides. turn right side out, stich up opening. Press and fold in half and stich around the outside close to the edge.
  • pinknfluffy28
    Options
    have just finished a trail run of chocolate slabs, with marshmallows and crumbled up candy canes (peppermint), once i got them out the fridge and dh & dd's saw them, they lasted all of 3 minutes, so they must have been ok! Going to try some more, maybe using honeycomb and finely grated orange peel? remember, check the chocolate you use has low cocoa content, this stops the chocolate obtaining that unpleasent "white" appearance!
    It's not about getting what you want, It's about wanting what you get.
  • Lilium
    Lilium Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Love the pint of socks idea...now I know what to do for my dad!
  • Giggle
    Giggle Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    How about something like this.
    226788_10150202750649025_5752146_n.jpg
    I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It
  • Giggle
    Giggle Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    156177_10151184451499025_1566348281_n.jpg

Made with flannels
    I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It