LOW COST homemade christmas gifts

Options

Comments

• lulubell10
    Options
    Thanks Giggle what would they come under is it cupcake holders? Thanks Leanne xx
  • amy888
    amy888 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi i'm not normaly a crafty person but looking at all these cool ideas i want to make some of them i going to do a sweet tree for my daughter but shes only 3yrs so i'm thinking to do an advent 1 so she can have only 1 small sweet each day. I've just seen a web site which sells photos frames you put ur photos in and they spell out names or words like girl, boy, nan. Im not sure ive described it well the site is; names-in-frames.co.uk sorry i don't know how to post a link. I'm sure i could make this much cheaper than £27 plus postage Its just a frame get 1 from charity shop/jumble. Then a mount, some nice card cut out the word with a craft knife.You can look at the their web site to get idea of the shape of the letters. You could add the photos or let the person you give it to put their own in. It tells you how to put the photos in under the mount in their faq. Done well it could cost very little but look qutie expensive.
  • pinknfluffy28
    Options
    amy888 wrote: »
    Its just a frame get 1 from charity shop/jumble. Then a mount, some nice card cut out the word with a craft knife.You can look at the their web site to get idea of the shape of the letters. You could add the photos or let the person you give it to put their own in. It tells you how to put the photos in under the mount in their faq. Done well it could cost very little but look qutie expensive.

i did that very thing last year, i got two long frames from wilkos, i think they were less than £5 each, used card and cut out my dd's names with a craft knife. i added an outline of glitter to the letters, and about 1" from edge all the way around, to make it more festive & girly (i went through about 6 glitter glue pens though!) kids have them hung above their beds and they did turn out really well! now you have reminded me how easy it was to do, i might do one for my friends baby girl due the week befor xmas (just hope they dont change their mind with the name!!) we have added photos throughout the year to dd's frames, one every other month (6 letters each) the final letter will have this years xmas photo in it!!
    It's not about getting what you want, It's about wanting what you get.
  • pinknfluffy28
    Options
    Giggle wrote: »
    How about something like this.
    226788_10150202750649025_5752146_n.jpg

brill little stocking filler idea! i saw some ideal storage compartments for 89p in wilkos at the weekend, might just have to get a few!
  • amy888
    amy888 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2012 at 12:24AM
    Options
    Thanks pinknfluffy28 the glitter sounds really good i think it would be better than the bought ones. Thinking about it its me making it so it probably wont be beter than buying it but it will be cheaper and its the thought that counts so i'm told.
  • juniper_berry
    juniper_berry Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2012 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Hi All,

I have to give credit to Building with Lego for suggesting this book on another thread...There is a book called Dear Dad (or mum etc) from you to me. It has pages of questions that they fill in and give back to you. I've decided to copy this idea and make my own books for my mum, dad, grandparents and mil/fil. I find it amazing how little you can know about those closest to you and really want something I can treasure forever from them :)

Sorry forgot to say that you can make the book with a hard card backing or even put it into a little folder. But it's unlikely to cost alot other than your time thinking up all the questions you want to know.
  • pinknfluffy28
    Options
    I am going to make a "charity apron" for my mum - I have bought some vinyl type table cloth fabric and will be getting the ribbons/pin bases for the charities important to us (cancer/alzheimers/diabetes predominantly). Put "MUM" on it and a pocket also :D

I also found a cute thing on pintrest - using the bottles that oil is stored in (with posh metal spout) and writing on "dish soap" and filling as a posh washing up liquid holder :D

I am also going to be attempting a home made neck warmer and possibly some vicks shower discs

what fab crafty ideas! whats vicks shower discs? sorry to sound stupid, but is it made from actual vics, the cold stuff?? :rudolf:
  • pinknfluffy28
    Options
    amy888 wrote: »
    Thanks pinknfluffy28 the glitter sounds really good i think it would be better than the bought ones. Thinking about it its me making it so it probably wont be beter than buying it but it will be cheaper and its the thought that counts so i'm told.

itll be fine! and check out my new "grinch" quote below, very true and ties in fab with this thread! :rudolf:
  • Steph12347
    Options
    Great thread.

Im going to make some pints of socks today and get my sewing machine out and see what i come up with. Im thinking lavendar hearts and hot/cold pads.
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    i made my flannel cupcakes using ice cream tubs, and topped with a bath pearl, they were V cheap, i couldnt get 2 flannels rolled and into the wrappers without them ripping :o

004-34.jpg

and i used a white flannel on my pint of socks, hubby wouldnt wear white socks :o i got the glass cheap in Debs january sale

DSC04742.jpg

the sweetie boxes went down a storm

008-15.jpg

wooden plaques were well received in my hampers last year, cheap but took a bit of planning

008-13.jpg

i am doing cupcake ones this gift tags, but they are "in production" :D my prototype

DSCN5019.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure