Forum Home» Phones & TV

Cheapest Home Phones Call Price Article - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Cheapest Home Phones Call Price Article

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
102 replies 8.7K views

Replies

• Martin,

I notice that both 18866 and 1899 have changed their rates in last few days.

My usual destinations of Australia and NZ have doubled on 18866 to 2p per minute - not the end of the world I know, but they have still doubled.

Also USA has doubled to 2p with 18866, but now seems to be a special deal at only 0.5p with 1899.
    Which is why:

1. Martin has changed his 'one provider' recommendation from 18866 to 1899;
    2. The tariff message 1899 & 18866 give before connection is so useful;
    3. Many people are now registered with both 1899 and 18866;
    4. Regular perusal of http://niftylist.co.uk/ is also a good idea.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • TilsTils Forumite
    303 posts
    Sorry for "bump" of this post.

Can I confirm that 18866 is still worth while?

I've checked the web site and it seems all ok just dont want to jump into something wrong :)

Thanks!

Tils
  • Carphone Warehouse is running a good 12 month promotion of TalkTalk, with no plan charge, free calls to other TT customers, free uk landline calls evenings and weekends, free calls to to USA, Canada & Australia for 12 months, peak time calls 2.7p. You have to cancel before your 12 months is up, but if you can be bothered, the same deal will probably be available next year. Sounds good to me?

Argee
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • I've just come across Skype which gives free phone calls computer to computer, there is also an indicator to show whether your contacts are online.

It also also allows you to call a landline.

The charges are determined on where you are calling to rather than where you are calling from. So to call the house next door would cost the same whether you are next door or in Australia.

I've just invested 10 euros so that I can play with the landline option, the sound quality was brilliant.

It also has a conference call facility so I will try and arrange for the family who are scattered over the UK to speak together over the net at Christmas. As well as getting them together it shouldn't cost a penny.

Skype have a web site where you can download the software for free.

http://www.skype.com
  • SRDSRD Forumite
    29 posts
    Hi - a newbie question - had a good search but i can't find the answer to this so would appreciate some help

I have bought the orchid v4 dialer and set-up 18866 as my carrier - much easier than everybody trying to remember to use dialer codes

I want to use Talk Talk as a CPS to take advantage of the cashback and free evening and weekend calls for 12 months.

Is it possible to use 18866 when i am signed up to Talk Talk ? I have seen reference to over-ride code and use of the code 1280 to use BT insteas of the CPS - but can i then get to 18866. Do i have to dial 128018866 ?

How is this achieved with the Orchid V4 dialer ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Stephen
    Britain's Best Money Saver
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I can't help you with the Orchid thingy but no you won't need to use 1280 then 18866 if you use TalkTalk as your CPS.

I am with TalkTalk for the free evening and w/end calls but use 18866 for daytime calls except if I have to dial 0845 or 0870 numbers then I dial 1280 to revert to BT as they are cheaper through BT.

HTH

PS, to get the £20 cashback you need to have someone refer you to TalkTalk but be aware the referrer will also get £20.
  • SRDSRD Forumite
    29 posts
    Dear EdinburghGlass

Thanks for the speedy response

Just to clarify, if you are signed up to TalkTalk, but you want to use 18866, you just dial 18866 at the beginning of your number just as you would if you were with BT ?

You only need to use 1280 to get back to BT as they are cheaper for 0870 / 0845 ?

Thanks

Stephen
    Britain's Best Money Saver
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear EdinburghGlass

Thanks for the speedy response

Just to clarify, if you are signed up to TalkTalk, but you want to use 18866, you just dial 18866 at the beginning of your number just as you would if you were with BT ?

You only need to use 1280 to get back to BT as they are cheaper for 0870 / 0845 ?

Thanks

Stephen

Basically yes!

The only difference with using 18866 or 1899 is you have to use the whole phone number including the area code.
    Once you have set up TalkTalk as your CPS you just dial as you would normally with BT. You still need to pay your line rental to BT of course along with any calls you may route through BT by dialing 1280.

Best to check out both 18866 and 1899 websites for the International destinations you want to call. I use 18866 as I call NZ frequently and they are cheaper than 1899 but if you call mobiles a lot 1899 are cheaper. However, I understand that if you have an Orchid dialer this machine will have all that worked out for you :D
  • digitaldigital Forumite
    208 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    PS, to get the £20 cashback you need to have someone refer you to TalkTalk but be aware the referrer will also get £20.
    TalkTalk's very misleading website indicates cash all round but I've had a couple of very long calls to TalkTalk about this and their call centre people are very unsure about what exactly is the position. Different assurances from different staff. They even admit to getting conflicting information from managers!

However, it seems that the £20 'cashback' for the person being referred is a £20 credit to their new account. The referrer gets a £20 cheque.
    digital
  • ellywellywooellywellywoo Forumite
    101 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Please can someone clarify this for me. I am on BT option two package with broadband which costs me £60.00 per month.

If I use either the 18866 or 1899 options can I do this just during the day (when BT are charging me for calls) and not during evening or weekend when they are free
    and is it just a simple case of just using prefixing with the above numbers at the relevant time.

In other words if I prefix the above numbers I will be charged by above companies (sorry cant remember who operates them) and If I dont prefix then the call charge will come through on my BT phone bill?

Sorry if my question is a bit "wordy" I have never been one to explain myself clearly!! :-[
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support