Forum Home» Phones & TV

Cheapest Home Phones Call Price Article - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Cheapest Home Phones Call Price Article

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
102 replies 8.7K views

Replies

• Hi,

I'm sorry but to be honest I find this phone stuff i.e call charges hard to follow. So I will explain what I have at the moment and maybe someone will advise on a better i.e cheaper solution.

I have BT option 2 and this is the brekdown of calls.

Type of call Total no calls
    Free Calls 217
    Local 49
    National 39
    International 14
    Mobile 53
    National rate 1
    Lo-call 7
    Ringback 0

Total 480 total cost £38

As you can can see we get alot of use from the free calls, but is there a better option ?

I am getting charged £29.36 per quarter for line rental

Thanks.
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm sorry but to be honest I find this phone stuff i.e call charges hard to follow. So I will explain what I have at the moment and maybe someone will advise on a better i.e cheaper solution.

I have BT option 2 and this is the brekdown of calls.

Type of call Total no calls
    Free Calls 217
    Local 49
    National 39
    International 14
    Mobile 53
    National rate 1
    Lo-call 7
    Ringback 0

Total 480 total cost £38

As you can can see we get alot of use from the free calls, but is there a better option ?

I am getting charged £29.36 per quarter for line rental

BT Option 2 line rental actually costs £16.50/month inc VAT (so I am not sure where the £29.36 figure comes from)

However, it would be cheaper for you to join TalkTalk's Talk 1+ tariff which gives you free evening and weekend calls for a year.

In addition, if you are referred to TalkTalk, they will send you a £10 cheque for joining - see my signature for details

You can then downgrade to BT Option 1.

For international/mobile calls, using 18866 and 1899 is even cheaper than using TalkTalk

Regards
    Sunil
  • Thanks Martin
    Have registered with 18866 and so far the little voice that talks before the call starts has told me that all my calls have been free.
    Great!
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Martin
    Have registered with 18866 and so far the little voice that talks before the call starts has told me that all my calls have been free.
    Great!

Well they are actually 1p/call but ;)

Regards
    Sunil
  • I have BT together and my line rental is £39.57 a quarter. My normal telephone bill is approx £167. Local calls £13. National £5. Internaional £8. Mobile £52. Premium £18. National rate £3. Lo-call £1.58. We have 4 mobiles between us (1 teenager at home, 1 at Uni). I have been looking at options to reduce the overall bills and discovered OneBillResidential.com. Callsave anytime is £10.99 a month which includes anytime calls to uk landline. It says on their website that Calls are carried using the BT network and any faults are repaired by BT on behalf of OneBill - and you get one simple bill for your calls and line rental with your line rental charged at £10.50p per month. The lady I spoke to told me that the total bill is £10.99 which includes the line rental. Sounds like a great deal if this is the case, what do other members think (advice on how I can reduce my overall telephone/mobile bills would be great). First posting for me! :-*
  • allthatmularkyallthatmularky Forumite
    636 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just a quick reply Trying2Save

- think the OneBill Anytime is £10.99 for the calls ONLY - BT will charge you line rental of £10.50pcm in addition.

Think your best bet - is sign up to TalkTalk - choose the 30 mins to mobile option (since a high porportion of your calls are to mobiles) - this is FREE for twelve months. You get £10 from TalkTalk if you use a referral code - have a look in Referral Board.
    Sign up to https://www.18866.co.uk - who will give you cheap landline calls and Int'l calls - a 1p connection fee per call then FREE to UK landlines.
    In addition BT will still charge you for line rental at £10.50 but should save you a pretty penny.
  • I have BT together and my line rental is £39.57 a quarter.  My normal telephone bill is approx £167. Local calls £13. National £5. Internaional £8. Mobile £52. Premium £18. National rate £3.  Lo-call £1.58.
    Your main problem area appears to be calls to mobiles so, IMHO, that is the area you need to assess first. The TalkTalk free 30 minutes per month mentioned above would be a small benefit but it only amounts to a maximum of £3 worth of weekday calls to mobiles (£0.60 worth of weekend calls) made on call1899.co.uk.

1899 may also help with your international call costs.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Thank you for your advice - I shall change to TalkTalk and also use the over-ride number. I'm also going to put a bar on the line with BT so my teenager needs to ask before phoning her friends! Can you believe the phone in my other daughter's room at Uni is an 0870 number!
  • pennymakespoundspennymakespounds Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    got that tee-shirt !!!
    last year in halls our daughter had same ... run as many are by keycom...
    we bought ( and still available) from https://www.forwardcellular.co.uk,,.... for £60 you get a nokia 3100 ( worth £45+ on ebay) .. and a 12 month contract t-mobile 750 minutes off peak tariff equiv to 25 minutes a day after 7pm or weekends.
    Daughter used that phone to make her daily phonecalls.
    As she's just moved into a house with 4 hours for her second year... we've just bought another of these packages.
  • manrowmanrow Forumite
    185 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Martin,

I notice that both 18866 and 1899 have changed their rates in last few days.

My usual destinations of Australia and NZ have doubled on 18866 to 2p per minute - not the end of the world I know, but they have still doubled.

Also USA has doubled to 2p with 18866, but now seems to be a special deal at only 0.5p with 1899.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support