Cheapest Home Phones Call Price Article

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
102 replies 8.7K views

Replies

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TalkTalk's very misleading website indicates cash all round but I've had a couple of very long calls to TalkTalk about this and their call centre people are very unsure about what exactly is the position. Different assurances from different staff. They even admit to getting conflicting information from managers!

However, it seems that the £20 'cashback' for the person being referred is a £20 credit to their new account. The referrer gets a £20 cheque.

This certainly seems to be the case for the December offer that the person being referred get £20 credit and the referrer gets the cheque. In the past few months both parties have received cheques and not credit.

I am donating any TalkTalk referals to the Disasters Emergency Appeal, if anyone wants referred please pm me.
    32.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please can someone clarify this for me. I am on BT option two package with broadband which costs me £60.00 per month.

If I use either the 18866 or 1899 options can I do this just during the day (when BT are charging me for calls) and not during evening or weekend when they are free
    and is it just a simple case of just using prefixing with the above numbers at the relevant time.

In other words if I prefix the above numbers I will be charged by above companies (sorry cant remember who operates them) and If I dont prefix then the call charge will come through on my BT phone bill?

Sorry if my question is a bit "wordy" I have never been one to explain myself clearly!! :-[

Yes, thats right. I use BT line rental, TalkTalk as CPS for evening and w/end calls and 18866 for daytime calls and international calls.

If you stick with BT for your calls you will only need to pre-fix the daytime calls with either 18866 or 1899 which ever you choose to go with or of course you can join both.

HTH
  • Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please can someone clarify this for me. I am on BT option two package with broadband which costs me £60.00 per month.

If I use either the 18866 or 1899 options can I do this just during the day (when BT are charging me for calls) and not during evening or weekend when they are free
    and is it just a simple case of just using prefixing with the above numbers at the relevant time.

In other words if I prefix the above numbers I will be charged by above companies (sorry cant remember who operates them) and If I dont prefix then the call charge will come through on my BT phone bill?

Wouldn't you be better to move to BT's option 1 and use 18866/1899?
  • I used 18866 for the past few months and each call cost 0.042p - not 1p. This is the cost as it appears itemised on my BT bill and of course VAT was slapped on that. This goes back to 2 Nov at least. Once I cottoned on to this I switched to 1899 and e-mailed 18866 to ask why. I got no answer. I think I originally paid 1p a minute and then somewhere along the way they upped the charge. I think this is to do with being a BT subscriber but I can't get to the bottom of it. The announcement "This is a free phone call" lulled me into a false sense of security and it was quite a while before I woke up to this. Does anyone have an answer?
  • Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Calls via 18866/1899 do not appear on your BT bill.

The only time a charge would apear on your BT bill would be if you used the 0207 number to route your calls via 18866/1899.
  • mike_patersonmike_paterson Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Kinloss, there is no point asing 18866 why BT have charged you 4.2p plus VAT. You need to ask BT.
    What number is shown on the itemised bill ?

The 18866 prefix routes the call away from BT so it should not ever appear on your BT Bill.

Good Luck
    To infinity and beyond!
    32.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone else mentioned this before and I don't remember if they ever came back saying what the answer is but I wonder if you are on the BT low user tariff? If that is the case BT won't allow you to use anyone else to carry your calls.
  • Take no notice of me! My brain must be stewed: I am getting mixed up with an international call provider. You are all absollutely right, and I have realised my stupid error and reverted back to 18866.

One thing I can mention of use is that on 2 occasions we must have misdialled 18866 and got 118866 instead - well those 2 errors cost us just under £1 with that number being a directory enquiries. I have since programmed 18866 onto a memory button and told my wife only to dial out using that handset and the memory button before all calls.

Very sorry for my stupid error and totally misleading nonsense. I wish I could say I was inder the influence of new year celebrations when I wrote the post - but I was a sober as they come.

Happy new year to all.
    32.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hands up here Kinloss, I too dialed 118866 once by accident and instead of a bill of approx 20p that month from TalkTalk it was over £1 :o

Glad you solved the problem with your bill as you had me stumped :D
  • mike_patersonmike_paterson Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to you too !
    To infinity and beyond!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support