We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Abbey (merged)

Options

Comments

• moykul
    Options
    Hello,

Newb claimant here and need some advice please!

I had a claim in with ABBEY for approx £2500, they have repayed £800 of this as a 'GESTURE OF GOODWILL' and have said that is all I am getting off them.

I have written several more times and they fob me off and tell me to go to the 'FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN SERVICE' and see what they say. They are confident that they will be seen to be in the right, but I am getting tired of the to-ing and fro-ing.

Is there a sure fire way of settling this quickly or am I going to have to go to the FOS to see what they say.

Is this one of the SHABBEYs famous delay tactics and hope ( as I am ) I get fed up and drop my claim?

HELP AND ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
  • humanchimp
    humanchimp Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    hey moykul.

If I were you, and you haven't done so already, I would send them a letter clearly stating that you reject their offer and do not accept it as a full or final settlement. Template letters can be found here. You may need to sign up at CAG to access it. Its free and easy to do.

In think the FOS is a delay tactic. Don't bother writing to them if you just want to get your money back. You say you have written numerous times requesting your money back, so I would just take them to court at this point. Just follow the advice on the main 'reclaiming your bank charges' article about how to do this and you should be fine.

Hope this helps
  • miss-bonkers
    Options
    Hi all
    abbey have acknowledged my claim and say they intend to defend it all. The have until the 8 may to send their defence. Has any one actually gone to court??? What happens when you get a court date??

any advice would be really appreciated!!!
    Kim
  • dustysbankcharges
    Options
    Recieved a letter from theAbbey today of the copy of Defence that the bank have registered with the courts. This is now getting serious and i,m getting worried. Where does it look like it will go from here. Am i likely to get stung as it has gone this far.
    Any advise greatfully recieved.
    Thankyou
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Now the bank have decided to defend, you'll probably get an Allocation Questionnaire to fill in from the court (suggested wording in the Help Thread), although these are gradually being dispensed with from what I've read on here. I gather at this stage you have to pay another £100 in court fees. In time, you will get a court date, though there's every chance you'll receive a cheque in the post at any time before this.

If it does go to court, the bank will not be there to defend their "unlawful" fees, but you'll have to prepare a court bundle ... again there's a thread on here which tell's you what you need to include.

Try not to worry ... in the vast majority of cases, the bank's are paying up long before it goes should go to court.icon7.gif
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • howier_3
    howier_3 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    ok so the story so far.:confused:

sent initial letter requesting full refund i received reply promptly and stating they would contact me within 4 weeks as investigating.:rotfl:

received reply 1 day left before 4 weeks was up stating same again would contact me within 4 weeks as they want to throughly investigate:rotfl:

so now 2 weeks into investigation that under fsa they have 8 weeks to conclude abbey has deposited £300 in various £20/£30 charges back into my account.:T

now whats the story now as im requesting £1564.00 without charges.

i thought maybe its the most recent charges say for the last year but these add upto £450 approx.

so im not settling for anything less than the full £1564.00.:D :p

ps they have not contacted me with an explanation etc as to whats is going on but i do expect some letter in the morning or very soon.

howier:T
  • cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    howier wrote: »
    ok so the story so far.:confused:

sent initial letter requesting full refund i received reply promptly and stating they would contact me within 4 weeks as investigating.:rotfl:

received reply 1 day left before 4 weeks was up stating same again would contact me within 4 weeks as they want to throughly investigate:rotfl:

so now 2 weeks into investigation that under fsa they have 8 weeks to conclude abbey has deposited £300 in various £20/£30 charges back into my account.:T

i thought maybe its the most recent charges say for the last year but these add upto £450 approx.

so im not settling for anything less than the full £1564.00.:D :p

ps they have not contacted me with an explanation etc as to whats is going on but i do expect some letter in the morning or very soon.

howier:T

Tell them clearly that you accept any payments that you receive as part payment but that you will be going for the whole sum that you have requested. Keep to your timescale and dont be swayed by any tactic that they choose to employ. This is another confusion tactic.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • tenaka
    tenaka Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    barclls wrote: »
    This is the wording that I used

Thanks barclls.

Letter written and yet another walk up to a local post office to send it.

Good luck with yours. Looking at other responses it pretty much seems there is no personal touch to their responses to these claims, just like there is no personal touch to the charges, almost like they have a checklist of things to do for each claim with the final step being "Damn, claimant is going all the way, withdraw".

Ten
    (Mr Tenaka Vs Evilbank :rolleyes: oops I mean Abbey)

Court Date Set:eek:: Court date was 15 August 2007 - result was case is 'stayed' until March 1st 2008
  • miss-bonkers
    Options
    hi
    can anyone tell me what the court bundle is, i can't seem to find what exactly i have to have!!
    any advice???
    kim
  • howier_3
    howier_3 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    ok so the story so far.

sent initial letter requesting full refund i received reply promptly and stating they would contact me within 4 weeks as investigating.

received reply 1 day left before 4 weeks was up stating same again would contact me within 4 weeks as they want to throughly investigate

so now 2 weeks into investigation that under fsa they have 8 weeks to conclude abbey has deposited £300 in various £20/£30 charges back into my account.

so im not settling for anything less than the full £1564.00.

SO received the letter today stating they were relevant charges via admin costs usual blurg regarding i knew charges etc etc and as goodwill gesture they refunded £390.00.

so next step is mcol do i claim for the full £1564.00 as £390.00 is now back in my account.

i cannot sort out what charges etc have been refunded regarding dates from which these charges were initially charged only lots of £20's and £30's as online banking shows no dates the actual charges were refunded from.

IM SURE THIS IS AN ABBEY STALLING TACTIC AS IT WILL CONFUSE LOTS OF PEOPLE AND ONLY MESS PEOPLE ABOUT TO THE EXTENT OF CANNOT BE BOTHERED WITH THIS ANY MORE...............

not me though.......

rofl

howier
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business