PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 October 2012 at 8:10AM
    Options
    my de-humidifier is working wonders, I set on 60 at night and 55 during the day, there is always a bit of ambient heat and it means that I can dry a bit of washing indoors. I had a smaller cheaper one from argos but it just wasn`t powerful enough so dd has that now and I got an expensive mitsubishi

http://www.dry-it-out.com/mitsubishi-mj-e16v-e1-dehumidifier

tbh I wish I had bought the mitsubishi one in the first place. It is excellent and usually just stands on the upstairs landing with all the doors open. It kicks in only when needed and has a laundry setting if I want to dry a big load of washing, when I will load all the racks in one bedroom and then move the de humidifier into that room

That is contributing to house warmth and so is the 65w towel rail (lakeland) that is now in its second season here. I have that in the hall on a timer 5am to 11pm. The house is super insulated so at no stage has it been below 20.8. If it heads towards 20 then I will get a thermostatically controlled fan heater out and set it up on 20. I really don`t want to start lighting the pellet stove yet, well tbh it is the thought of using our stored tonne of pellets early. I have no idea what the winter months will bring and may need the wood fuel later

What does concern me now is the ferocious ( 85% chance so 15% no chance) storm in november at the start of the last week of nov. We have a pre-arranged two day appointment and will to travel up to NW exactly on that day, if that storm materialises then we will cancel as high sided vehicles will be advised to stay off the roads. PC doesn`t give weather forecasts as we see on tv, more like forthcoming planetary and solar activity with R factors. The highest R is 5, 4 and 5 are worrying. I have learnt to modify tv forecasts according to the R factor. It helps that I am/was a physicist :) as he writes in `genius` language which takes a bit of deciphering :)

I am getting washing ready for the better weather starting on friday. The first load will be flannel bedding and set on a timer, to finish by 8 am and I`ll be setting all my lines up in readiness. I am fed up with the outside humidity, which is constantly 89+ so nothing much will dry
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am getting washing ready for the better weather starting on friday.

Me too ! Its been so humid and no wind all week here in the south so I have loads of washin to catch up on. Even if its cold outside at the weekend/friday, if its a crisp blowy day it should get washing dry.

My parents have been to stay for a week so I have their bedding to do as well as some new towels I bought and about 2 weeks worth of clothes. DS gets back from holiday on monday so no doubt he will have loads of washing too. It did brighten up a bit yesterday afternoon and a bit of wind got up so I did manage to get one load of towels dry on the line
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rainey-days put your cordylines away you may have a frost coming.

Overnight a widespread frost is likely from the midlands northward, with a sharp air frost in Scotland as temperatures fall a few degrees below freezing. The showers keep coming into eastern regions of Scotland and northern England too, falling as sleet and snow even at lower levels in northeast Scotland.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=1270;sess=
  • afeitar
    afeitar Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like this weekend is going to be chilly! I might have to put the heating on in the morning too. Only had it on for an hour or so in the evening so far.

Drying washing is becoming a pain. Does anyone have one of those heated maidens from Lakeland? Are they any good? I'm fed up of drying washing over radiators!
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
  • Fervent37
    Options
    afeitar I bought one of the Lakeland dryers earlier this year and have found it to be very good. Well worth the £79.99 I paid for it and it seems to cost what it says on the box re electricity ie about 5p an hour.

The only adaptation I have done and I think I picked the tip up on these boards, is I put a cover over the top to keep the heat in.

Hope this helps!
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Annnie123 I spent a really good morning this morning with one of the horses - the biggest one. I had put the medium rug on the other one last week, because he was feeling quite cool. I left the other one because he felt quite warm under his raincover and I didn't want to overheat him with his new rug.

Brought him into the yard this morning and felt underneath hs cover and he was quite cool to the touch, so whipped off that and then set to work giving him a good brushing all over, washed his legs and feet all down and then put his new medium weight rug on. He looked so lovely. Sadly, the rug won't stay nice and blue for too long as no doubt he'll be rolling around the field in it in the next few days. I did stand and admire him though for a while. I put my hands underneath his rug and across his tummy and back again when I put him back out in the field and he was nice and warm then.

Temperatures are due to drop to about 4 degrees tonight then frosts in from tomorrow night.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of food cupboards stocked up with soup, pasta, rice, bread mixes, oil, squash, teabags, coffee.

Washed some scarves to freshen them up. Washed some warm wool type cardigans that are warm around the house to wear.

Just washing a coat, hoping that it will wash ok, label says yes.

Bought some lovely mittens last year (on sale from Laura Ashley) and I can't find them. Someone please yell at that for me to come home! I have the matching scarf waiting to be reunited.:o
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • artydoll
    artydoll Posts: 2,084 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also having been stocking food up ,for when we cant get about in the icy weather .
    My freezer is quite full just need to get a turkey crown for Christmas ,and some nice bits like gateaux .
    I have an old coalhouse which my OH has furnished with shelves.
    So in there I have lots of tinned food,cat food ,toilet and kitchen rolls ,washing stuff and I still have quite a few toiletries from the Tesco fiasco a few years back,still using shampoo and other items,lol.
    Earnings £245 in 2014:T thanks to swagbucks
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone got the A*g0s value dehumidifier? My next winter purchase is a dehumidifier and I'm not sure whether to just go for the value one or spend more money and get a supposedly better one. I have to do something, I picked up paperwork the other day and it felt damp to the touch, and despite it being 18C in the house I am freezing :(
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • afeitar
    afeitar Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Fervent37 wrote: »
    afeitar I bought one of the Lakeland dryers earlier this year and have found it to be very good. Well worth the £79.99 I paid for it and it seems to cost what it says on the box re electricity ie about 5p an hour.

The only adaptation I have done and I think I picked the tip up on these boards, is I put a cover over the top to keep the heat in.

Hope this helps!

That does, thanks. I'll try to save a bit of money to buy one I think.
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport