PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very interesting report below, compares low E doubled glazing, heavy curtains, roller blinds, wooden shutters etc etc for heat loss via windows.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/paul-baker-performance-of-traditional-windows-and-practice-improvements.pdf
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    DH cut back the conifers at the side of the house today. I sort of said "well you know if we are in for heavy snowfall the last thing we want is those big fronds groaning under the weight of snow being propped up by the guttering". He said I get the trimmers out, within 15 minutes it was done and we swept up. Made it much lighter as well.

That was a big relief really. If Piers Corbyn is forecasting snow as early as next month in places I do not want the worry of that. Added to which the bins are there and it is the main access to the back garden.

I am wondering if we will manage to get a final lawn cut done at some point. It is way too wet at the moment to do anything with it. If not it will have to wait until next February.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2T if your living room is warmest, it may be worth sleeping in there some nights if it gets really cold - do you have a sofa bed / spare mattress / inflatable mattress you could use?
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,209 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    Very interesting report below, compares low E doubled glazing, heavy curtains, roller blinds, wooden shutters etc etc for heat loss via windows.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/paul-baker-performance-of-traditional-windows-and-practice-improvements.pdf

Thanks, very interesting. I have single glazing and use draught-proofing, wooden and fabric blinds together with interlined curtains. Probably not as effective as shutters but it's good to know that other things do have an impact!
  • Travelady
    Options
    I'm currently choked with a very bad cold and been off work the last two days - I'm never off work:-( Today I pulled out all my veg in the fridge and cupboard and made masses of soup that I'll freeze once it's cool.

I'm seriously thinking about keeping the heating just at 'frost' to protect the pipes rather than put full-on to save money. I'm in Scotland so can get a bit nippy.

Has anyone else done that?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,209 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Travelady wrote: »
    I'm currently choked with a very bad cold and been off work the last two days - I'm never off work:-( Today I pulled out all my veg in the fridge and cupboard and made masses of soup that I'll freeze once it's cool.

I'm seriously thinking about keeping the heating just at 'frost' to protect the pipes rather than put full-on to save money. I'm in Scotland so can get a bit nippy.

Yes, and I have been told that it was a contributory factor in getting pneumonia in Feb, which resulted in vocal cord damage and 6 months voice rest. Luckily my boss and colleagues were supportive and flexible, as 50% of my job normally involves speaking. 6 months off work would have cost more than no heating.

The heating is now firmly on during waking hours and managed via the thermostat. If I had a programmable thermostat it would be on 24/7 with different temps.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Thanks, very interesting. I have single glazing and use draught-proofing, wooden and fabric blinds together with interlined curtains. Probably not as effective as shutters but it's good to know that other things do have an impact!

Shame they didn't include Ikea fleeces in the trial, my home's full of them.
    Travelady wrote: »

Yep my mum did that (67 not not elderly, just older) 2 years ago November and December '10. She had a stroke on the 23rd December, in spite of not feeling cold, she got hyperthermia. She can't speak properly, read any more, the list goes on. She has carers in 3 times a day to prepare food and do housework and uses a wheelchair now.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that Annie, I'm guessing even with rising fuel costs its really important to have at least one warm room.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    i'm quite fortunate that my downstairs neighbour has had her heat on all this month, consistently once, i get going during the day it's been between 18-21C in here throughout the day without me needing to turn my heat on despite several 0C nights

i'm planning to ride this out as long as i can especially now that my daughter is spending more time at her dads, though she seems more tolerant of cold than i am. haven't had the cold hands yet, well cold for a few minutes but none of the so cold i HAVE to do something about it so until i get to that point i'm not going to put the heating on regularly

i will however be turning the lounge storage heater on tomorrow night simply because i absolutely have to get some washing done, it's just not drying well outside now and i have about 3 loads stacked up. it's supposed to be -2 overnight tomorrow so i figure if i have to have the heat on to dry the clothes that's the night to do it.

once the house struggles to get to 18c after we're up and about with our computers on etc then i will start using the heat everynight but thankfully this year i'm not feeling it in my knees much or my hands so i'm going with that as long as i can get away with it!
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do think it's one to watch. I'm not overly worried as I myself am fit and well, but I do have two little ones. Although they are very healthy too, the last thing I want is pneumonia for either of them. I dont' tend to have the heating on much, but it's on for a short spell before we get up, and for when I bring them home from nursery. On our at home days, I leave it on but control using the thermostat. If they are playing out the door is usually open so I switch it off then. DS likes the living room fire on for half an hour when he gets in :D
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills