PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    babyshoes wrote: »
    2T if your living room is warmest, it may be worth sleeping in there some nights if it gets really cold - do you have a sofa bed / spare mattress / inflatable mattress you could use?

Thanks, we have been considering that ourselves. Upstairs is always much colder than downstairs , mostly because of the fire. Once the walls are warmed through it stays warm. We have two separate sofas (2 seater and 3) that we can sleep on in the front room, or an uncomfortable bed settee that is too hard to sleep on and too uncomfortable to sit on..... I am thinking of selling it to be honest.

Apart from that the living room is well situated, being next to the kitchen and bathroom and having all the entertainment things (books, tv, music, computers) etc all in one spot (not to mention all the food stores/water/essentials).

Hope you don't get the snow they are predicting for the UK...it looks like our expected cold spell is now NOT on the way for the foreseeable future.......
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • hummingfridge
    Options
    If anyone in the North (Uk) lives near a B*yes store they are selling 140 denier thermal fleece tights for £5.
    I might need mine this weekend, given the forecast!:(
    Keep calm and keep crafting :happyhear
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone in the North (Uk) lives near a B*yes store they are selling 140 denier thermal fleece tights for £5.
    I might need mine this weekend, given the forecast!:(

That is a nice thick denier at 140. I went to a sale in a shop I have never been to yesterday while I was out on my scooter. I got two pair of stretch fleece leggings for 3 euros a pair (one plain black and one patterned) and a pair of shower proof neoprene leggings that are thick and fleece lined for 8 euros. I wasn't optimistic at those prices but they fit me perfectly! I am amazed how good the quality is and I am thrilled with them. When it gets really cold the thinner pairs will go under my trousers for on the scooter.

I wore my soft leather boxing boots for the first time today, I got them for my birthday....they are actually more comfy than my slippers are.

It's turning very misty and damp outside, think we are in for a 'peasouper' of a fog tonight....
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have one of those indoor weather thingies - that tells you the temperature inside and outside. Think Lidl sell them from time to time. Maybe useful to get one of these for elderly relatives. It's scary that being cold can kill.

Maybe each one of us should share our prepare for winter lists with any elderly folks, neighbours etc. Or donate any spare fleeces etc.
    :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2012 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Artic blast is due in as of Friday apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222392/UK-weather-Cold-winds-blow-snow-showers-north-temperatures-dive-10C.html

BTW for anybody who has these horrible colds a few people at work have had a cough for weeks that they cannot get rid of. One lass is on her second lot of antibiotics and the GP told her it could go on for eight weeks before it goes!!!

Edited to add that I could do with knowing from Kittie if the Midlands is going to get a dumping of the white stuff in November - don't subscribe to Piers but may need to I suspect!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 October 2012 at 9:00PM
    Options
    November/December forecast
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=206&FILE=sea&DAY=20120930

Northern Ireland forecast
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/23/donegals-famous-weatherman-predicts-snow-before-christmas/

Put in your post code and get the next 6 months!!! but take with a pinch of salt after 4 weeks
    http://www.metcheck.com/UK/

snow forecast map for next few days
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/uk?over=pressure&type=lapse

Rainy-days seems you could even get a bit of snow over the next week! http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74791-upcoming-cold-chilly-snap/

edit: a winter forecast http://www.metcheck.com/SEASONAL/winter.asp
  • tina_malteser
    Options
    i dad pneumonia this time last year so ill i thought i was dying, went to hospital in ambulance as i collapsed in the street on my way home from work, hospital sent me home said i was having a panic attack.:mad:.went to Drs following morning who said i have pneumonia:eek::eek: and sent me back to hospital for chest xray to confirm..105 antibiotics later all clear.:j.bacteral..then i got pleurisy:(..ouch that hurts..3 people i knew got it last yr all young fit and otherwise healthy xx handwash handwash handwash :T
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, And Today is a Gift, That's Why it's Called The Present
    20p jar £1.20:j Mr M saver stamps £7.00 Mr Ice stamps £3.00
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blimmin heck. I hope I don't get poorly like that as i have nobody to look after me or my girls :/

Anyway, reason for posting is that my dehumidifier took 2.5 litres of water our of my kitchen in less than 24 hours..... And it wasnt even damp in there!

I'm def getting another one for upstairs.
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    Blimmin heck. I hope I don't get poorly like that as i have nobody to look after me or my girls :/

Anyway, reason for posting is that my dehumidifier took 2.5 litres of water our of my kitchen in less than 24 hours..... And it wasnt even damp in there!

I'm def getting another one for upstairs.
    I am thinking of getting one ... which make and model did you go for, if you don't mind me asking?
    TIA!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    When I lived in a 2bed flat we didnt have "damp" as such, but lots of condensation on windows. we got a small size e-bac dehumidifier and it was fantastic. The windows were dry once we started using it and even when we dried washing indoors it speeded up the drying process. When we moved to larger house didnt have same problems so we flogged it, but would def recommend one

Ok so its supposed to be cold this weekend starting tomorrow, so I have plans to close all the curtains including those at front and back doors once starts getting dark tonight. I have taken extra duvet out of storage to air and that will be on the bed tonight as well as extra throw. Thick fleecy pjs are out too, and bed socks are on standby :D

Jumpers are all out of storage too, I usually wear several layers, but if its really cold the heating will go on, its not worth being ill and I am prone to coughs, colds, chest infections, sinus infections and have had thyroiditis twice. I have thankfully had a pneumonia jab last year at doctors which lasts a lifetime, unlike the flu jab. Which reminds me, I was too ill to have my scheduled flu jab so I must ring the doctors....... I am going to make a big batch of veg soup to help keep me warm and keep up my intake of vitamins etc

Stay warm everyone x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure