MSE News: Mobile networks reveal iPhone 5 prices

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Mobile networks reveal iPhone 5 prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
96 replies 16.7K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
"Mobile networks have revealed their prices for Apple's new iPhone 5 - but how do you find the cheapest tariff? ..."

Replies

• NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    With mandatory 24-month contracts, it makes even more sense to pay full price to Apple for an unlocked SIM-free version (£529) and then get a SIM-only contract for under £10/month. Over 24 months, the overall cost is much lower.

This has an added advantage of being able to switch networks at any time without penalty or paying an unlocking fee, as well as being able to use local SIM cards when abroad to avoid rip-off roaming charges.

The iPhone ultimately costs £529 whether you pay this upfront or have it subsidised by an inflated monthly contract. If anyone can't afford £529 upfront, then perhaps the iPhone is not affordable for them and they should consider something cheaper because the expensive monthly contract fee is effectively an expensive loan for the phone.
  • edited 14 September 2012 at 5:03PM
    diamondsdiamonds Forumite
    6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 14 September 2012 at 5:03PM
    God even MSE mods have got into all this APPLE marketing caper....is MSE not about consumers & credit awareness ? No its now about a price marked up underspeced mobile phone & how to get your hands on one :rollseyes: if ever one consumer item goes against the MSE ethos its a i-phone, yet MSE give free publicity & marketing to it & its network partners !

It will only get worse when Martin leaves his paid position for moneysupermarket to make money out of such actions on the site.

NOT impressed.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • edited 14 September 2012 at 5:03PM
    LindsayReidLindsayReid Forumite
    4 posts
    edited 14 September 2012 at 5:03PM
    It should also be pointed out that if you want 4G, you cannot yet buy/sign up with EE themselves. You can only buy/signup with Orange and TMobile who say that you will be "able to switch free of charge" to EE4G when it becomes available but that you will need a new contract that will reflect the speed advantage of their 4G service. No prices yet on this and a deathly silence on the terms. Buyer beware.

Personally, I find the HSPA+.3,5G speeds on the 3 network excellent compared with O2, Orange, TMobile and Vodafone based services.

I would definitely wait until prices and contract details are published and would not tie myself in the Orange/TMobile in the hope of getting cheap 4G.

By my calculations, an iPhone5 on Orange/TMobile on a 2 year contract will cost anything between £973 for the cheapest iPhone5/package to £1353 for the most expensive - and don't forget, this is without 4G surcharges that almost certainly will apply.
  • As above, no indication yet of what EE are going to charge for the 4G service!!!!

Could turn EE into EEEEEEKKKKKK! I wouldn't sign up for one yet (even if I was interested, which I ain't). And it really makes price comparisons pointless at the moment as these (unknown) costs can't be factored in.
  • As the only 4G service for a year EE plans will be EXPENSIVE as the market leader, however the EE/Orange/T-Mobile 3G has been upgraded to the same 3UK spec 21mbps & with a £51 unlimited data, mins & texts plan with a free i5 Orange will clean up the market for heavy users (then try sell them higher speeds for a £20+ premium on EE no doubt!)
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • NFH wrote: »
    With mandatory 24-month contracts, it makes even more sense to pay full price to Apple for an unlocked SIM-free version (£529) and then get a SIM-only contract for under £10/month. Over 24 months, the overall cost is much lower.

Which networks are offering less than £10/month sim-only?

I'm looking at O2 and the cheapest is £13.50 sim-only (with only 100mb internet - unlikely to be enough for iPhone use). There is a £16.50/month tariff with 500mb.

O2 simplicity
    £529 for phone
    £13.50 per month for 24 months (12 month rolling contract)
    Total cost £853

O2 simplicity
    £529 for phone
    £16.50 per month for 24 months (12 month rolling contract)
    Total cost £925

O2 per article
    £250 for phone
    £26 per month for 24 month contract
    Total cost £874
  • GemmzieGemmzie Forumite
    14.9K posts
    Dave333 - probably GiffGaff?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • O2 will only provide nano sims with the acutal phone apparently so sim only from them isn't an option at the moment.

Does anyone know if exisiting customers are likely to be able to negotiate deals? Im an exisiting o2 customer and currently have an ancient 3gs on its last legs, I had a refurb 32GB handset which I got for free by calling retentions.
    Desperately trying to get debt free!
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gemmzie wrote: »
    Dave333 - probably GiffGaff?
    Giffgaff wont be providing nano SIMs 'for months' though so you would have to make your own.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    dave333 wrote: »
    Which networks are offering less than £10/month sim-only?
    I'm on this one:
    http://business.orange.co.uk/home/small/plans/standard-plans/business-sim-only

£7.76+VAT per month for 800GB, 325 minutes and 150 texts. With iMessage, 150 texts is plenty for me.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support