We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Options

Comments

• panlane
    panlane Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Like many I am surprised that some people are advocating returning the dress. It appears that those who are suggesting such a course seem to regard shops etc. as the enemy, e.g. jowie on post 40. MSE is founded on the - I believe often correct - concept that we are in an adversarial market economy. However, just because there is tension between the shop and the customer doesn't mean all's fair in shopping, as with love and war. Consider that our justice system and our parliaments are all adversarial and yet we look for honesty and fairdealing from both sides in these (though we do not always find them) and have written laws to reflect this desire.

Consider this, if you told the truth to the store would they accept it in return. Certainly not. So you will have to lie - if only by omission of the truth - to the store. Little good can come to those who think nothing of gaining through deception.

My suggestion is that those who really want to stick it to the shops, stop using MSE and just do what you've always wanted to: steal. Because then for once you might experience the real costs of your actions.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

Remember to be polite to others, the whole point of the MMD is that there will be different opinions as we have seen - and while you may ferociously disagree with some of them - by reading them you gain an insight
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • panlane
    panlane Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    In keeping with that, I retract the last paragraph of my previous post.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it was my shop where she was returning it to, and I could tell it had been worn, She would of just got a credit note/vouchers as a refund.
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Options
    I feel quite 'impish' admitting this but I quite liked impy's idea :p But I would have to say the thing to do is sell it on ebay as it has been worn

p.s having worked as a model, i know that many stylist see nothing wrong in taking clothes back to the store, we weren't allowed to take labels off, and they used to also put masking tape on the soles of shoes so we wouldn't mark them so they could also be returned. Cheeky but true. This is a normal occurence believe it or not.
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • sailorjohn
    sailorjohn Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    She should not be dishonest, traders that offer good returns policies should not be cheated. Don't people nowadays have an instinctive sense of right and wrong. If you have been victim of sharp practice by some dodgy trader, by all means try and get your own back on them but don't take it out on the good ones.
    Regards

Mark
  • picard1109
    picard1109 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    No, she shouldn't return the dress - she should have bought an outfit that had multiple uses, not some daft dress that matched the decor! :rolleyes: If the couple don't have the best finances, what were they doing having a big formal occasion in the first place?:confused:

No one would have thought any less of them if they'd said they were saving their money and had a smaller celebration.

If this were real, I wouldn't rate their long term chances if they're that foolish.
  • candistar
    candistar Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is ok to return the dress, many retailers expect this and have no problem with refunding your money. As for it being gross, as long as the dress is in perfect condition and hasn't been in a smokey environment then it's fine. I'm sure many people have bought clothes that have previously been returned or tried on many times and thought nothing of it, if you don't like the thought of that then you should wash all your clothes after purchase. If she is refused then ebay is a great option!
  • MUNCHKIN123
    Options
    She should NOT return it. Some poor unsuspecting consumer would end up buying a second hand dress.............. if she couldn't afford it she should not have purchased it. Or she could try selling it on ebay...............:rolleyes:
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,806 Forumite
    Options
    jowie wrote: »
    Ah but you've misread the dilemma. The dress was just expensive, not a wedding dress.

I cannot believe how everyone has become all high-and-mighty about morals considering this website's overall goal: To turn the tables on retailers/financial institutions so we get something back. Ergo, if a company has a returns policy, what's so wrong about using it? Argos have their 16 day no-quibbles money back policy, and I've used it a handful of times. If they give me the option, I will take it. It's a great free way of borrowing goods. :)

So everyone get off your high horses, or don't bother using this site. You can't have it both ways.

To conclude: It's her gamble to take. If they don't return the dress then fair play. But if they do then take the refund and run. No doubt about it! :D

Are you saying that MSE = cheating and being dishonest? Abuse of this policy will result in retailers withdrawing it (Tesco R'n'R for example).
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport