We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Options

Comments

• twirlypen
    twirlypen Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    If the dress is still in perfect condition then yes return it. I have done it before with a pair of jeans and a shawl that I bought for a wedding. Both items were returned as new and could be sold again.
  • fruitbat_2
    fruitbat_2 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No she shouldn't. She's realised she can't afford it so she should either return it before the occasion, when it really is unworn, or sell it second hand afterwards to recoup some of her money. I could never be so dishonest and am also surprised that this is even being discussed.
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No she shouldnt, full stop

Money cant have been that tight if she could even contemplate spending £200 on a dress!!!
    :hello:
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    twirlypen wrote: »
    If the dress is still in perfect condition then yes return it. I have done it before with a pair of jeans and a shawl that I bought for a wedding. Both items were returned as new and could be sold again.

Worn items are NOT in perfect condition, they have been subjected to sweat/perfume/deodourant etc etc

ITS WRONG !!!!!!!
    :hello:
  • babs
    babs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not? But it depends on its condition before she returns it. If there are no stains or marks on it then go ahead.

She has found her perfect dress - For £200 she would be hard pushed even to hire a wedding dress for that price.

A dress that you buy from a shop could have been tried on by hundreds of people anyway - and be complete with all their sweat etc.

I did this once and bought a very expensive jacket that I knew I would never wear again - I left the shop tag in the back and it looked gorgeous on the photo's. During the reception the jacket hung on the back of chair for most of the day - Next day took it back to the shop and got a full refund!

Bargain!
    £2021 in 2021... £253.86/£2021
  • RobLock_2
    Options
    At the risk of being called an old whatsit, this is typical of modern day people ripping anybody off. If you return a worn garment you are defrauding the shop, and the next person who buys it thinking it is new and unworn. One wearing still makes it "not New". Absolutely appalling behaviour!
  • Good_stuff
    Options
    It isn't really a moral dilemma, is it? Rachel knows that she should not take the dress back once she has worn it. The shop will probably spot it anyway because any dress that has been worn shows signs that are not there from just being tried on. She'd hate to buy a dress that someone else has worn too so why should she think it is OK for her to take it back so that the shop is funding her poor money management? She and new dream man should bite the bullet and do some work on their finances so that this 'moral dilemma' would not even be considered.

She's got to take responsibility for her own actions.

Another frame on this one - why on earth did she buy a dress that made her fit in with the colour scheme of the venue - did she want to look like walking wallpaper? She's a wayward gal who wanted to look like a considered conformer, perhaps? Odd but it begs a lot of questions as to how her mind works, this one.

good thought to be raised though as I expect lots of people do take stuff back after it's been used.
  • betti_2
    betti_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    No, she shouldn't. No matter what spin you put on it, it would be stealing..... Sorry Rachel, an expensive mistake I'm afraid.

Betti
  • jowie
    jowie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    JeffMinter wrote: »
    Moral reasons aside, the wedding dress is one of, if not the most important event of your life. To return it/sell it off as if it was a DVD on ebay would be an insult to the very meaning of a wedding.

Ah but you've misread the dilemma. The dress was just expensive, not a wedding dress.

I cannot believe how everyone has become all high-and-mighty about morals considering this website's overall goal: To turn the tables on retailers/financial institutions so we get something back. Ergo, if a company has a returns policy, what's so wrong about using it? Argos have their 16 day no-quibbles money back policy, and I've used it a handful of times. If they give me the option, I will take it. It's a great free way of borrowing goods. :)

So everyone get off your high horses, or don't bother using this site. You can't have it both ways.

To conclude: It's her gamble to take. If they don't return the dress then fair play. But if they do then take the refund and run. No doubt about it! :D
  • jowie
    jowie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    PS Jeff Minter I have all your games you legend! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure