We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Options

Comments

• ChrissyKinsella
    Options
    No she shouldn't return it. She bought it so she has to keep it. If I buy a "new" item I want to make sure it is new and not worn by someone else who got bored with it after one wear.

She should sell it on ebay.
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe people are suggesting she return it either....it's not a rental store, if she couldn't afford it she shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Simple.

The focus shouldn't really be on the dress for moments like this either, priorities!
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    Options
    k993257 wrote: »
    But she has, so if she has the guts to go back to the shop, why not?

Because she's worn it and is breaching the terms and conditions of return under which she bought the goods. It's not a shoppers "right" to just return goods because they feel like it. It states quite clearly that the goods must be unworn and in a saleable condition on most t&c of return. When you buy something in a shop you expect it to be brand new and unworn - not something that somebody else has worn for a night and decided they don't want. that's charity shop/ebay territory!
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,806 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    climbgirl wrote: »
    Because she's worn it and is breaching the terms and conditions of return under which she bought the goods. It's not a shoppers "right" to just return goods because they feel like it. It states quite clearly that the goods must be unworn and in a saleable condition on most t&c of return. When you buy something in a shop you expect it to be brand new and unworn - not something that somebody else has worn for a night and decided they don't want. that's charity shop/ebay territory!

A few weeks ago I started a thread on DT about 'Does MSE encourage irresponsibility.....'
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • k993257
    k993257 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So none have you have ever boke the ts and cs for anything then?
    never photocopied an os map?
    or recorded something off tv?
    or picked a wildflower?
  • OO7
    OO7 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Bit of a daft dilemma, but since you ask...she should return it and steal a new unused dress on her way out of the shop! But making sure she doesn't put it on first as trying to get away from security in pursuit down the high street while in a wedding dress might be tough! :p
  • basketcase1002
    Options
    I would be appalled if I was the person to spend that kind of money for the dress after her and realise it had smelly armpits when I got it home.
    Can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it.
    Like classic rock with an up to date feel?
    Me too! My son has a rock band, ask me about them! :beer:
  • hedges
    Options

absolutely not

advertise your dress privately!:eek:
  • PATRICIA_KELLY_2
    Options
    NO SHE KNEW MONEY WAS TIGHT SO WHY BUY A DRESS COSTING SO MUCH. I HAD TO BUY A DRESS FOR MY SONS WEDDING BUT I KNEW WE DID NOT HAVE MUCH MONEY BUT THE DRESS I BOUGHT EVERY ONE SAID HOW NICE I LOOKED.SO SHE SHOULD KEEP IN MIND HOW MUCH MONEY SHE HAS TO SOEND NEXT TIME.:mad:
  • anntics
    anntics Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    k993257 wrote: »
    So none have you have ever boke the ts and cs for anything then?
    never photocopied an os map?
    or recorded something off tv?

This is not necessarily true:

Acts that are allowed under UK copyright law:

Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree without infringing the work, these acts are:

Private and research study purposes.

Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.

Criticism and news reporting.

Incidental inclusion.

Copies and lending by librarians.

Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.

Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as time shifting.

Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.
    Playing sound recording for a non profit making organisation, club or society.
    (Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a license from the Performing Rights Society.)

so copying a map or recording a tv programme for private use would be allowed.

Returning the dress to the shop WOULD be dishonest.
    Cheers

Ann
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family