We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Options

Comments

• pmd
    pmd Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Money saving is one thing, theft is another. She bought it, wore it, should either keep it, look for local dress agency, or flog it on eBay.

The attitude that "of course it's OK to return it" is plain wrong.
  • tsutton
    tsutton Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't buy it, go to a rental shop and hire a dress. Works out cheaper.
    - Tony Sutton
  • Didcot_Dynamo
    Options
    Sorry, but I am ashamed to hear people say she should return it! Money Saving is about being prudent - not dishonest!

Remember also, if you return goods, the store has to spend money getting it checked and either fixed or re-stocked. All that time and effort costs money, and the customers always pay the bills, so all you will do is put the prices up for your fellow, more honest, money savers.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with all the others the shop has delivered their side of the bargain and to return it would be dishonest !

Sell it on ebay or dress agency
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    How awful that people would even consider returning the dress, I am shocked.
  • gillycat
    gillycat Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No way should she return it. She has worn it, therefore it is used goods. If she's not going to wear it again, she should have it cleaned and try to sell it on e-bay or a local shop that re-sells "designer clothes". Perhaps next time she won't be so stupid and will either not pay so much or will buy something she will wear again.
  • angieclair
    Options
    no....it's wrong! I wouldn't want to buy it!
  • dranz100
    dranz100 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    impy78 wrote: »
    Of course she should. Who hasn't???

Of course she shouldn't. Who hasn't? - I haven't and never will!!

When I saw this 'dilema' in the newsletter I was surprised: There is no moral dilema - its clear cut wrong - but I clicked on the link just to confirm my faith in mankind as generally honest and decent - how wrong I was!

Next weeks Moral 'dilema': Next door have asked you to water their plants while they're away - Should you take the opportunity to get out of debt by selling their telly and car and emptying their bank accounts?

Disgusted
    Dz
  • fionah
    fionah Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    How dishonest. If she couldn't afford it she shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I bet Rachel wouldn't like it if she had bought a "new" dress to find that someone else had worn it on a night out before her.
  • k993257
    k993257 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Why shouldn't Rachel return the dress?

Ok so she shouldn't have bought it in the first place if she couldn't afford it and it was a waste of money.

But she has, so if she has the guts to go back to the shop, why not?

The shop certainly won't lose out as they will just sell it again.

Whoever buys it won't know, I'm sure we all buy things that have been used all the time!

Personally I couldn't stand the embaressment if the shop said no, but if she is willing to take that chance then go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure