MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rachel return the dress after wearing it?

Options

Comments

• pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh my god i do this all the time why not the shops rip us off enough charging a fortune for bits of material it will be sold on so whats the problem P>S hanging it on the washing line for a day after wearing will get rid of bad smells and theres no rule to say you cant take back a dress if its been worn as long as it still has labels and yo have a reciept. People who dont do this are missing an opportunity!!
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • sauvblanc
    sauvblanc Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me that there are so many dishonest people about who support returning the dress. What does surprise me, though I suppose it shouldn't, is that they actually seem proud to admit doing the same thing themselves. The reason this country has been in moral decline for decades( teenage pregnancies, family breakdown, crime, drugs) is that there's no longer any shame.
  • vixarooni
    vixarooni Posts: 4,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    She wouldnt get past me. I sniff things to see if they have been worn.

And i work in lingerie :p
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Options
    sauvblanc wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me that there are so many dishonest people about who support returning the dress. What does surprise me, though I suppose it shouldn't, is that they actually seem proud to admit doing the same thing themselves. The reason this country has been in moral decline for decades( teenage pregnancies, family breakdown, crime, drugs) is that there's no longer any shame.

Do you proffer that a persons' moralistic leanings should be founded on a trait such as shame? Does that not negate your argument? By encouraging (shame) something as equally devasting (as dishonesty) to society as a whole. Just my personal opinion of course, feel welcome to flame me all you want but I don't think any of us are pure enough to judge.

Be the light you want to see in the world :cool:
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Options
    vixarooni wrote: »
    She wouldnt get past me. I sniff things to see if they have been worn.

And i work in lingerie :p

eew lol :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: are you admitting a fetish in public :p
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • Claire_Short
    Options
    Of course she shouldn't return the dress - stupid, shallow girl. A friend told me she was going to do this the other day - she deliberately bought something to wear for the day and then planned to take it back. I was (very stupidly it would seem now) shocked.
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rachel shouldn't touch what she can't afford.

My mate used to do a similar thing - buy CDs, tape them and then return them to the shop. I don't condone any of it.

Anyone remember when Chrissie Mainwaring (I think) et al planned to do this in Grange Hill but the clothes got stained and they couldn't?

Suze
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    No she shouldn't return it. It wouldn't be fair on the next person who buys the dress. If she's short of cash she should try and resell the dress.
  • Vellum_2
    Options
    Let's try putting the boot on the other foot - I assume Rachel would be quite willing to pay the full price of £200 for a dress someone had worn for a whole evening?
  • carter2901
    carter2901 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't personally do that, unless there was a fault anywhere with it (and I'd look pretty hard for one!) - but if she's been a good Moneysaver in the first place, she'll have bought the £200 dress from a designer clearance shop, reduced from at least £800, so could even stand to make a profit on ebay if she does a good enough listing ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure