Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• dasanderson
    Options
    Finally got this phone for the amazing price of £30, yes £30.

A long story which I'll keep as short as possible, on Sat 15th managed to eventually purchase one of these phones in Southwark Tesco for £80 after a load of telephone calls to Tesco c/s to check individual store availability. I was assured by Tesco c/s and Southwark store staff that there was no further discount of £15 for spending £30+ on groceries.

Then on 19th Sept in Rotherham store I was assured by staff that they were in stock for £60 with further £15 off for £30 grocery spend, I was assured of this prior to starting my shopping. After having done shopping well in excess of £30, I was told 50 mins later that the phones weren't in stock after all, needless to say one very angry shopper.

After having spent 45 mins on phone to Tesco c/s Thursday, I was eventually called Friday by a very nice lady from Tesco customer care who was very apologetic and offered me £50 Tesco money card as compensation, which I accepted, effectively making this phone £30.

A good end result for me as far as I'm concerned, showing that persistence does pay off.

However this whole promo has been an unbelievable shambles to which the lady fully agreed.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2012 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Finally got this phone for the amazing price of £30, yes £30.
    You didn't. You got the phone for £65, then you got £35 compensation for your hassle; two separate things.
    Oh, and the compensation has to be spent in Tesco, in addition to the £30+ you already had to spend. If I was offered the chance to get phone the way you did I would refuse!
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    You didn't. You got the phone for £65, then you got £35 compensation for your hassle; two separate things.
    Oh, and the compensation has to be spent in Tesco, in addition to the £30+ you already had to spend. If I was offered the chance to get phone the way you did I would refuse!

Harsh. To be fair.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 23 September 2012 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You then posted here a warning not to accept any phone calls from them as this would prevent us getting any tcb cashback.
    I really don't think it's in your best interests to pursue this. Let's examine just what was said, shall we? I said I thought it stops the cashback
    I think that nullifies the payment.
    whereas you presented your own offerings as fact
    Accepting the call (which everyone gets) is the only way you will get the phone as it's part of their security/credit checks!
    There are at least two incorrect 'facts' in there, and possibly three. That's quite an achievement for one short sentence!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ..... Let's examine just what was said, shall we?.....

The important element in all this was was to correct your (incorrect) "authoritative" warning:
    ...... don't accept any phone call (possibly from 08003160492) that Isme make to you confirming the deal........)

Why not just stand corrected and move on?
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Handbags_at_dawn_-_Michele_Omalley.JPG
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 23 September 2012 at 6:07PM
    Options
    ABOVE &....
    Harsh. To be fair.
    I'm a bitter man, MB and Sillygoose; I've yet to secure my G300 :angry:
    S'pose I'll have to go down your 'very.co.uk' route, or I'll be kicking myself later for hanging on for a £60 unlocked. Self recrimination is a terrible thing!
    The important element in all this was was to correct your (incorrect) "authoritative" warning
    Actually I stand by the advice not to answer it; it transpires that it doesn't affect the sale, and is simply a spam call.
    Why not just stand corrected and move on?
    Like you have done, you mean?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Watch out for very. They ring you too to confirm your order!
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    Watch out for very. They ring you too to confirm your order!
    OK but I read on one of the cashback sites that if an employee rings to confirm an order (for any merchant), then they might be inputting it themselves and overriding your own made through the cashback site. When I discovered Isme had reversed my credit status after ignoring their call, I put two and two together. (Probably made 5, though :))
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I have the very.co.uk page open right now with 'my' G300 in the basket but without the will to complete the buy yet...

Although I will use a yahoo email address and tick every 'bog off' box it will still get spammed to death, even if I tick email only they will call me to try and flog me things. Finally you can't hide your address and I know it will be twice weekly junk mail listings of horrid over priced polyester clothes ad infinitum that can only be stopped by leaving the country after faking your own death.

I know its moneysaving, I know its even cheaper than Tesco, its a great phone but sometimes you have to say... but at what cost?

If no one post that they got one in Tesco for £8 today and they had hundreds in stock or whatever for an hour I may actually get to checkout.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure