Options

Comments

• jayme1
    jayme1 Posts: 2,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steveE2 wrote: »
    Just got back from local Tesco now £60.00 2 in stock

£60 outright or with buying a set amount of items?

are the G300 from Tescos locked to a network or sim free?
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They were either locked to Tesco Mobile or Vodafone - depending on the phone bought.
    A few people have reported getting sim free models, but this appears to have been very few and far between.
    It'll only cost you a fiver for an unlock code - so no big deal really.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    And if they are locked to Vodafone and you get good reception in your area with this network save yourself a fiver and get one of the Talkmobile sim deals - they use Vodafone and the 6 month one in particular can be had for just over £2/mth net with TCB/Quidco cash back...
  • dasanderson
    Options
    Hi

I eventually managed to get this phone in Tesco Southwark store in London on Sat evening (15/09).

This followed a long saga with Tesco call centre in Cardiff who seemed to have great difficulties in identifying which stores actually had these phones in stock.

I first rang Cardiff on 14/09 who advised that there were none in stock in any of my local stores in S Yorks, I advised that I would be visiting London on 15 - 16/09/12 and asked what London stores had these in stock, they advised that Southwark and Catford stores were showing availability, but they were unable to 'hold' the phone until 16/09. I was advised to call again 16/09 to check availability of London stores and ask for any store showing availability to 'hold' a phone until COB Saturday.

I mentioned during my Friday conversation that other MSE users had managed to purchase this phone at certain Tesco stores for £65, some having had to spend £30 on shopping to get the £65 price, others apparently securing this price with no purchase.

I was assured by a supervisor that the price was £80 and that there was no £65 price irrespective of grocery spend.

I then spent > £30 groceries Friday evening for normal weekly shop.

After another long and frustrating conversation with Tesco c/s on Saturday, it was eventually ascertained that Southwark store had availability and one would be held for me until COB. I again mentioned the £65 price issue, but was again assured that the price was definitely £80.

I collected and paid for the phone on Saturday evening in Southwark store, I was yet again assured that the price was £80 and that a purchase price of £65 had never existed, by this point I had no energy for further arguements and I wanted to get my hands on the phone even if at £80.

I would now ask other MSE users based upon their experiences as to whether I have any chance of returning this phone (still in box) with receipt and getting one for £65 or even £60 having read the last post.

Which stores if any are now selling the phones for £60?

I have already ordered my GiffGaff Sim, as this phone is locked to Vodafone, does getting the phone unlocked by anyone other than Voda invalidate the warranty?

Sorry for the length of post and all the questions, but I'm new to smartphones and I really wanted to try and get to the bottom of the price confusion.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    No idea about returning it, I'm afraid, but I can answer the unlocking question - no, this definitely doesn't invalidate your warranty as the ones provided on ebay have apparently come direct from Huawei themselves.
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 September 2012 at 2:29PM
    Options
    jayme1 wrote: »
    £60 outright or with buying a set amount of items?

are the G300 from Tescos locked to a network or sim free?
    £60 outright yellow price label no other conditions.Some are locked, unlocked if you're lucky

This was Tesco Metro
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    My old phone keeps hanging and shutting down. I am going on the hunt for one of these later. Or an Orange San Fransisco II would do.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • dasanderson
    Options
    Thank you for the info about unlocking the phone and the fact that this does not impact upon the warranty.

I've answered my own question about returns from the Tesco website, apparently it can be returned for a refund within 28 days with all original packaging and receipt.

Does anybody know which Tesco Metro stores have these phones in stock at £60, tbh I now have more faith in info provided by other MSE users than Tesco customer services.

Thanks again for any info provided.
  • psychoticfox
    Options
    There is an update to ice cream sandwitch on the huawei site, its a vodafone uk update. (just upgraded my phone)

there is a link to the update on the giff gaff site too

hope this helps

ju
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Pah! my local Tesco superstore out of stock, didn't know if any more coming. Looking at the post above want one more now.

People have mentioned Tesco Metros? I thought they just sold pints of milk and stale sandwiches - didn't know they sold phones, will be on the hunt now!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure