We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use

Options

Comments

• bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    It's hard to believe people are happy to have a bin containing adult human faeces hanging around in a bathroom for hours.
    That's what those little nappy bags are for, or, if you're like me, give a used supermarket carrier bag a second lease of life.
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Shave your bum, this reduces the amount of wiping needed!
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • poacherp
    poacherp Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Options
    Bufger wrote: »

An excellent piece of advice - no more of those 'Klingons' on the starboard bow Mr Spock!! ;)
  • bundance
    Options
    Bufger wrote: »
    Hahhahahahahahahahhahahah this thread is hilarious.

There was a story going round the web years ago, (sorry I don't have the link) but it was about a college student who shaved his bum, and regretted it afterwards. A funny but pooey story. :)

• bundance
    Options
    poacherp wrote: »
    An excellent piece of advice - no more of those 'Klingons' on the starboard bow Mr Spock!! ;)
    Hahahahahhaha more funnies.
    This thread keeps on giving. :rotfl:
  • Rooster72
    Options
    Well, our dad told us to use both sides. I hope he was joking. We didn't take his advice of course...:D
  • Billy_Bonkers
    Options
    At boarding school in the 70's we had to endure the hard totally non absorbant tracing paper type. It wasn't Izal though, I think Jaques?

Nowadays I find that buying quilted, although dearer to buy, works out cheaper. Reason being that with cheaper stuff I (and I'm sure many others) tend to use 2 sheets folded together to remove the possibility of your fingers going through it. With quilted, I use 2 folded for the 1st wipe, then single sheets.

I'm not a standard number of wipes and that's it kinda guy. I look at the paper and keep wiping as long as necessary. It can vary from just 2 or 3 to, occasionally, having to flush part way through.
    I rarely get skid marks in my undies.

I also keep an old dish cloth in a plastic bag in the cupboard for those occasional real messy times. Wetting it with warm water 1st of course & then a real good wash out.

I also "shave" about once a year which helps a lot.

When I revamp the bathroom, I'm seriously considering fitting a Thai style bum gun. Much more hygenic. Actually washes any remnants away rather than just smearing it about as paper tends to do.
  • poacherp
    poacherp Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Options
    bundance wrote: »
    Hahahahahhaha more funnies.
    This thread keeps on giving. :rotfl:

I fail to see anything slightly amusing on here - it's one of those 'bog standard' threads you come across and you wonder......... why????:D
  • Abbafan1972
    Options
    I remember that tracing/greaseproof paper bog roll at school!

Ours used to have "Birmingham City Council" printed on it in green writing!

Years later we stayed in a B & B in Newquay, lovely people that owned it, but were horrified to find this tracing/greaseproof paper loo roll there (I think it was Izal), went straight to the shop and bought the soft stuff.

Subsequent stays there we remembered to pack our own!
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £40,750.02
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

When I revamp the bathroom, I'm seriously considering fitting a Thai style bum gun. Much more hygenic. Actually washes any remnants away rather than just smearing it about as paper tends to do.
    On Loos here in Cyprus, just under the seat there is a water spout, much cleaner and quite refreshing( Just remember to switch off the water pump first), then 1 sheet of loo roll to dry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport