🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

2015 Wedding

Options

Comments

• babymonster2
    Options
    Aww, dinglefoot that's unkind :( what is your budget? There's people on here who've done amazingly at stretching very modest budgets, I guess it depends what your priorities are for the day?

I went with Debenhams insurance after reading a few other posts, cash back through quidco too which always helps!

Are you able to opt for a venue that has a max guest limit around the number you want to invite so they can't butt in? Is your mum paying anything as if not its really nothing to so with her.

Do you know when you'd like to go for if the vicars up for it? :p ours is on for end of July.
  • dinglefoot
    dinglefoot Posts: 2,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ooh, the cash back is definitely a bonus :) I'll have to look into them.
    26th of June '15 for ours, hopefully - so 1 year and 10 months today! We're not entirely sure what to do for the reception yet, but I think she'll try to interfere whatever we do really even though I'm not sure she is paying for anything. We're aiming for 2-2.5k and are hoping we can save that up before the big day.

I'm beginning to worry about this financially now, as that's going to be tough to do anyway and my Mum has been hinting at waiting a couple more years. We've been engaged for 3 years already, I don't understand why she's now not keen on the idea of us getting married/wants us to extend our engagement even more.

I lost a relative earlier this year, and that was in part what prompted us to start planning now. We've got several other elderly relatives, three of whom have had health problems over the last year and we don't want to lose anyone else before we get married - some of them have even joked we need to marry ASAP so we can be there.

My Mum keeps talking down to me like I'm stupid, when I've done so much research. I'm fed up with my Mum's negativity, this isn't the only area of my life that she applies it to - and it's really dragging me down. I'm trying to ignore it, but she's my Mum and I feel like I need her support with this.

Sorry, that was all a bit doom and gloom. Fortunately, my OH's family are all happy about it and helpful, so that's good :)

Have you booked anything yet or thought of any venues, colour schemes etc babymonster2?
    SPC '21 #075
  • dinglefoot
    Options
    We went to a wedding fair yesterday (about the 4th we've been to now I think), which was fun. I got some good advice about rings as well.

We're going to have a chat with the vicar last week to go through things a bit more in depth. We had a 5 minute chat with him Sunday before last.

We're also going to meet another photographer next Saturday. Hopefully these two meetings will get the ball rolling and we can get some confirmed dates and things booked :)
    SPC '21 #075
  • Trixsie1989
    Options
    We're getting married 16th January 2015 and so far I've bought all my paper stuff ( card for invites,menus etc), my veil and shoes and hair pins. Hopefully will have all the little bits by January next year and then all we've gotta do is pay everything off. We're having a registry office wedding and have found our venue, will hopefully start negotiating a price at the end of the month when we can afford to put a deposit down. I've found the photographer and dj I want and am waiting for them to confirm they are available for the date. I've had jewellery designed for me for the day and another 2 sets for my bridesmaids which are in the post now.really need to decide on a colour scheme though, was thinking purple/lilac as my engagement ring has amethyst in it or blue coz the venues chairs are blue and we could save on chair covers that way lol! I've got till dress shopping in January to decide tho :-) feeling very very over organised at the min but at least if its all planned and done soon I can relax until we get married! Xxx
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • tatabubbly
    Options
    Hey ladies, my date is september the 4th!

So far got church sorted, hotel and photographer but thats it! would love to get a few other bits sorted!

I'm in a country where there is natural pearls so hoping to get 3 pairs of pearl earrings fairly cheap for my bridesmaids.. My OH has picked out his groomsmen and I think I've picked out my bridesmaids.. Hard decision but my little sister can do a reading at the ceremony instead.. Thinking thats a good enough compromise... :)

I've been looking at the lightinthebox invitations, they are very good value.. However they don't do evening invites which is annoying so going to have to find some alternative!
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • tinkerbellkirst
    Options
    Hi,

I am a 2015 bride too, have posted on here before but not sure where now!

So far we have just booked our church and venue and that's all and deposits are paid on these.

We have just reached our first 1K of savings which feels good, as I had doubts about how much we could manage to save, but its happening :)

Went to a wedding fayre today but realised I don't really need a lot.

My aim is to get as many people that I know in on the day, I want it very personal so it would mean more to me to look around and see my friends and familys hard work without it being perfect than it would for it to be perfect but done by strangers.

So I will be keeping a list of those who are doing what and what prices we are paying for things around here somewhere, so far we have;

Sister in laws mother can do our flowers (not sure on price yet)
    Other sister in law is a hairdresser (again not sure on price, may have to get some of her colleagues to help too)
    Friends mother in law (who I know very well) can do invites (again not sure on price yet)
    Friend can do photography - possible £500 but have other friends to explore this option with too.
    Friend is doing our cake - just paying for ingredients
    Also have a friend who is an artist/designer to help out with centre pieces etc
    Have a friend who is a beautician

May have missed people out here. Will be enquiring on prices with people soon as i'd like to compare them against our budget. Our budget is around 4K but this is not including any input from our families even though they have said they will pay for some things as I don't want to rely on anyone's money but our own.

Kirsty
  • tatabubbly
    Options
    I so envy the lower budgets in the UK, I'm having my wedding in Ireland and our budget is looking at €17,000 or £14,250.. Which seems mental.. However, thats based on having 160 guests for the whole day, chapel wedding and all the extra bits that mean things to us! I'm hoping to come well under budget but I don't think anyone ever does with a wedding!!

Our local bridal boutique had a sale recently, happy to see dress prices starting at around €250.. Obviously you'd have to know if the dress suited you or not as well but it's a good sign for our budget!

Found a local arts and crafts place last night so might head there tomoro to price bits and bobs.. my mum has some materials left over from the last wedding invitations that she made so will be knicking them I think!
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • dinglefoot
    Options
    Hooray, lots of 2015 brides joining us here now! :D

tinkerbellkirst, that's all sounding good :) You're lucky you know people who can do things like that. I don't really know anyone in any sort of professions useful to a wedding :(

tatabubly, you've managed to do a lot very quickly :D

We were originally hoping for a budget of £2,000...but we're quickly thinking that's not quite achievable for what we want to to/include on the day. We're now aiming for £2,500-£3,500. Obviously the lower the better, and the more we can save, the better too! I really am not keen on the idea of getting into debt over our wedding. To try and keep costs down too, we're planning only having about 30 people (close family and bridesmaids - although my Mum wants us to make this a bigger amount of people!) to the ceremony and wedding breakfast, but looking at the possibility of inviting extended family and friends in the evening.

When is everyone planning on getting their dresses? I'm thinking I might start looking from June onwards (if I can be patient for that long!), so about a year before our wedding :) The whole idea of it is nerve-wracking to me, purely because I'm scared once I've chosen something I'll change my mind and won't be able to do anything about it!
    SPC '21 #075
  • tinkerbellkirst
    Options
    I have tried on a few dresses already but not found 'the one' yet. I am planning on doing some more dress shopping soon, I lobe dress shopping. My fear is falling in love with a dress I cant afford!

I am very lucky that I have lots of people to help out with things, its what is keeping our budget down.

I think 2.5-3.5k is a reasonable budget, we are also trying to keep the costs as low as possible, luckily our venue is very very flexible and will work to budget which helps massively!

Dinglefoot I hope your mum stops butting in soon, it must be difficult, we have guest list issues too, luckily both My mum and Mother in law aren't bothered. Its OH causing my issues there :)
    He doesn't have many friends and his family live away and he hasn't seen or had any contact with them in years, they don't know me, or our children. My family live close by and I have lots of friends. He wants to invite family he hasn't seen, I don't think we should. I can see where he is coming from, he feels itll be very one sided but everyone is there to see us both happy in my opinion and I would rather pay for a meal for a friend whose been there than some random family member who doesn't even know us! But I will tackle this issue later!

We have a church for the ceremony and another venue after so I plan on inviting about 40-50 daytime and 130 night time. I am going to make evening guests aware they are very welcome to attend the church to see the actual wedding though if they wish as this holds 250 people we just cant afford to feed everybody after!
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Tinkerbellkirst - Ring around your local bridal shops asking them when they are having a sample sale, Mine was a sample and it's gorgeous.

Steph xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family