2015 Wedding

Options
Me and my Fiancee have booked our wedding for BH in August 2015, has anyone else planned that far in front.

We did this as we are having a big wedding with 80 day guests and 200 for the evening.

So far we have;

Booked Venue ( Civil Service )
- Includes Food, drink reception etc

Enquired with Photographer

Should i be further ahead and has anyone any tips.

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    I have a tip for you if you are looking that far ahead....buy some wedding insurance now....

it will cover you when you book everything else incase any of the companies or individuals you use as part of your wedding go out of business...it wont cover any deposits you have already made but it will cover most things if plans alter before the day

Policies are reasonably cheap and you may find that it turns out to be money well spent...

G ood luck with your planning
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Options
    If you want a band/ dj who is particularly popular, you might want to book them soon.
  • DeanM09
    Options
    Sorry forgot to mention DJ is my uncle he is a professional and does it as his job, so thats booked already
  • yorkshirebride2013
    Options
    HiDeanM09 - congratulations, and you have loads of time, don't worry about being further ahead! We are getting married in less than a year and have only done the same as you. The photographers that we have contacted so far have all been available on a year's notice.

I would suggest taking things slow and not getting everything booked really quickly, or you might end up feeling that you haven't done enough and end up spending more than you need on extra things.

I would also say to get some wedding insurance - well worth the peace of mind.
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    Wow!!! You have booked further ahead than we will have been engaged when we get married, in fact we'll have been together 4 years let alone planning for 3!

Good for you though, we booked about 20 months in advance so that we knew our budget etc.

My tip (learnt from even less than 2 yrs in advance) is don't do too much, if anything, now, for various reasons...

- Prices change ALOT
    - Companies go bust, new ones appear
    - Trends/fashions/ideas change
    - Most importantly - YOUR tastes change. The last thing you want is to choose something now and see something you like more nearer the time.

You will also find there are areas you can't plan that far ahead, for example when we were enquiring even 2 years ahead one of the photographers we spoke to said she couldn't commit because she was planning to have a baby at some point in the next 2-3 years so we'd need to ask again nearer 12-18 months before! Extreme example but you get my drift.

Hope it helps!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    I've booked pretty much everything for our April 2014 wedding just need to book the registra then we're done. I've booked everything since April this year and got this years prices!

Congratulations BTW

Steph xx
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Congratulations!

I think the key is just to try not to let it consume your life for the next 3 years...I read a lot of things that suggest people have a great day at the expense of years of stress and worry and I just don't think it's necessary. We did ours start to finish in around 8 months, so you've loads of time.
  • stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Options
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    I've booked pretty much everything for our April 2014 wedding just need to book the registra then we're done. I've booked everything since April this year and got this years prices!

Congratulations BTW

Steph xx

Just be aware that some prices will still change. Our hotel is charging us and extra £15 per head even though we booked it two years ago. :(
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    stir_crazy wrote: »
    Just be aware that some prices will still change. Our hotel is charging us and extra £15 per head even though we booked it two years ago. :(

With everyone I've booked I've made sure the price quoted will still be the same when we get married :)

Steph xx
  • Hollie84
    Hollie84 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    With everyone I've booked I've made sure the price quoted will still be the same when we get married :)

Steph xx
    You may find that the contract u have signed will say prices can be subject to change so dont be surpirsed if it goes up and u get a letter.a friend of mine booked hers,checked the price wouldnt go up,less than 4 weeks before the wedding had a letter to say the package price had changed they wanted £400,it stated in her contract that it could
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure