Government to allow Ryanair to continue using unfair premium rate phone numbers

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    But the problem is that other airlines also use premium rate numbers so you would not be any better off.

Not quite as most other airlines offer email support. Of course, if you need an answer quick that might not be a suitable option in which case you're right that you're no better off.

I agree with the rest of your post :)
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    How would the customer be reasonably expected to know this and to follow this course of action, if he is unable to contact Ryanair for guidance, either by telephone or e-mail? In this scenario, it is reasonable for the customer to contact Ryanair without charge.

Information via the internet for free.

Still no response to the suggestion to use another airline ? Prove my point perfectly - it's a free market - use someone else if you aren't happy!!
    Legal team on standby
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Information via the internet for free.
    There is nothing about this problem on Ryanair's web site.
    Still no response to the suggestion to use another airline ? Prove my point perfectly - it's a free market - use someone else if you aren't happy!!
    So the customer can't check in online, and you're suggesting that he abandons the booking that is already paid for, and flies with another airline? What an unreasonable suggestion!
  • malkie76
    Options
    There is nothing about this problem on Ryanair's web site.
    Sorry, I was cross-posting and mixing points up. The consumer would turn up at the airport if they were unable to check in online. They'd get the flight then reclaim later as advised at the airport.

That all seems pretty logical to me.
    So the customer can't check in online, and you're suggesting that he abandons the booking that is already paid for, and flies with another airline? What an unreasonable suggestion!
    Of course not. My post wasn't related to that point you raised previously.

My request to you was asking if you are so unhappy with RyanAir then use another airline or mode of transport - ie don't book with them in the first place. You'd failed repeatedly to offer an explanation as to why you (or anyone else) doesn't do that.

Can you reply ?
    Legal team on standby
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 August 2012 at 11:30AM
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Not quite as most other airlines offer email support. Of course, if you need an answer quick that might not be a suitable option in which case you're right that you're no better off.

I agree with the rest of your post :)
    I understand now. The actual problem is that Ryanair do not publicise an email address, not that they only use premium rate numbers.

Why not use the contact us form that they have a link to on their site?
  • jpsartre
    Options
    I wasn't even aware that they had one but I checked and you're right, they do. In that case there's really no reason at all to single out Ryanair.
  • NFH
    Options
    My request to you was asking if you are so unhappy with RyanAir then use another airline or mode of transport - ie don't book with them in the first place. You'd failed repeatedly to offer an explanation as to why you (or anyone else) doesn't do that.
    A Ryanair customer would often be unaware of the lack of a basic rate telephone number at the time of booking. The customer would discover this only when the need arises to contact Ryanair about a problem, in most cases after the contract has been concluded. After the customer has paid for the flight, and in some cases having flown, your suggestion to use another airline is inappropriate.
  • NFH
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware that they had one but I checked and you're right, they do. In that case there's really no reason at all to single out Ryanair.
    The web form doesn't work; I've tried it. It just rejects the CAPTCHA every time, even after 30 attempts. In any case, a web form doesn't satisfy the obligation to provide an e-mail address under Article 5(1)(c) of Directive 2000/31/EC “Directive on electronic commerce”, which is enacted in the United Kingdom under Regulation 6(1)(c) of the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002 and enacted in Ireland (Ryanair’s country of incorporation) under Regulation 7(1)(c) of the European Communities (Directive 2000/31/EC) Regulations 2003.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    your suggestion to use another airline is inappropriate.

Only because other airlines works exactly the same, making this an industry issue, not a Ryanair issue.
  • malkie76
    Options
    Incorrect - it's clear on their website. Besides, as others point out there is a free 'contact us' form on their website.

However, my question is - why don't *YOU* use another airline or mode of transport ? If everyone stopped using them they would be forced into altering their ways.

Clearly millions of RyanAir customers have no issue, and you seem to be grumbling about something for which there is an instant free solution.
    Legal team on standby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport