Government to allow Ryanair to continue using unfair premium rate phone numbers

Options

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Similarly they charge you to call them - hence the call centres are being paid for by the people that use them, and hence this cost isn't passed onto the customer who doesn't use them.
    This is an unfair commercial practice. Customers should not be made to pay extra for attempting to rectify problems which are not their fault. Airlines should not use high call charges to deter existing customers with legitimate queries or complaints from contacting them or to derive revenue benefit from such contacts.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having been stuck abroad for a week due to the ash cloud I did not think it fair I had to 'phone a Ryanair premium rate number (from abroad) to re-book my flights as it was not possible via the internet.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    Customers should not be made to pay extra for attempting to rectify problems which are not their fault.

I can sort of see that point of view but I suspect 99% of calls to Ryanair aren't of that nature. Which sort of problems did you have in mind?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    Having been stuck abroad for a week due to the ash cloud I did not think it fair I had to 'phone a Ryanair premium rate number (from abroad) to re-book my flights as it was not possible via the internet.

That's odd, Ryanair usually always allows rebooking online in case of cancellations.

I did think of one thing that though can only be arranged over the phone - if your outbound flight has a schedule change you can rebook online but if you also want to change your inbound flight you'll have to call them.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Customers should not be made to pay extra for attempting to rectify problems which are not their fault.

Such as ?

Make changes online without cost.
    Put any complaints in writing (call centres can't help here anyway).

OR USE ANOTHER AIRLINE OR MODE OF TRANSPORT
    (sorry for shouting, but you've failed to respond this point twice now)
    Legal team on standby
  • NFH
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Which sort of problems did you have in mind?
    There are dozens of scenarios where a customer needs to contact Ryanair about a problem. An example that I experienced is when I was trying to check in online, and the web site kept returning a server-generated error message or a session timeout error, even when I cleared cookies and started again. If the web site has a bug, then the customer should not have to pay Ryanair to report it and obtain a resolution.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There are dozens of scenarios where a customer needs to contact Ryanair about a problem. An example that I experienced is when I was trying to check in online, and the web site kept returning a server-generated error message or a session timeout error, even when I cleared cookies and started again. If the web site has a bug, then the customer should not have to pay Ryanair to report it and obtain a resolution.

Call centre won't rectify that problem - I doubt they'd even log it.
    Turn up at airport and check in there - push for it being free showing screendumps of the issue. If they charge you then reclaim by letter when you return.

No need for a call centre call.

Next ?
    Legal team on standby
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Turn up at airport and check in there .......
    No need for a call centre call.
    Next ?

Queues at airport during the ash cloud problem were at least 2 hours wait plus once you got to the desk there was no way they could let you book on ANY flight ~ for various people we met the only way to re-book was via the Ryanair call centre.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OR USE ANOTHER AIRLINE OR MODE OF TRANSPORT
    (sorry for shouting, but you've failed to respond this point twice now)
    But the problem is that other airlines also use premium rate numbers so you would not be any better off.

TBH I think the OP just has a huge chip on his shoulder about Ryanair as he seems to ignore the fact that other airlines, train companies, coach companies, online sellers etc also use premium rate numbers as the only telephone number that the customer can use.
  • NFH
    Options
    Call centre won't rectify that problem - I doubt they'd even log it.
    Turn up at airport and check in there - push for it being free showing screendumps of the issue. If they charge you then reclaim by letter when you return.
    How would the customer be reasonably expected to know this and to follow this course of action, if he is unable to contact Ryanair for guidance, either by telephone or e-mail? In this scenario, it is reasonable for the customer to contact Ryanair without charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure